Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

OEM Tires

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   robbert

robbert

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 05:34 PM

Just picked up 2010 Ltd FWD came with Hankook H725 (235 55 19). The tread does not look very aggresive - and living in Toronto where we do get snow (once in a while), I called Hankook technical department they suggest not driving if there is more than 3 cm (1 inch) of snow. Before I jump to conclusions that Ford cheaped out and put 3rd rate tires on the car and before I drop another grand +++++ on snows. Does anyone have any history with these tires. (I do know that snows would be the way to go - but running out of coin.)

Thanks,

#2 OFFLINE   Griffin71

Griffin71

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:07 AM

Well I think you should go with snows, seeing as your FWD than again this vehicle may let you get away with the all seasons and FWD. The Freestyle I had with all seasons and FWD was terrible here in Mississauga during the winter. I can say that those tires on my AWD flex have had no issue, only complaint is that after 35000km's I am close to having to replace all of the tires due to tread wear, and when I spoke with Hanncook I was told OEM tires do not come with a tread wear guarantee.

On another note should you change your OEM for something other than Snow tires shoot me a PM I would be interested in buying them off your hands.

#3 OFFLINE   rc_cola

rc_cola

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:07 AM

Hi Rob,
these are on our 2009 Limited AWD too, this thing is a dogsled in the snow. you shouldn't have any issues, although we have AWD.

to your point, dedicated snows would be a big plus, but these will be just fine.

-rc

#4 OFFLINE   fordman

fordman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 06:47 AM

I have an FWD 2009 with the same Hankooks. They are great, smooth, and quiet with decent traction for the first 10k miles. After that they quickly turn into hard, expansion joint slapping, minimal traction tire. I have delayed replacing these tires as long as I can, but with 30k miles, I have barely legal tires.

You'll be fine for this winter with the stock tires, but after that it's risky.

The stock Hankooks tires is my only major complaint about the Flex.

#5 OFFLINE   wizofozus

wizofozus

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

I have 2009 FWD limited with these Hankook's. Have to be the WORST tires I've ever had in the snow. Driving the vehicle even in a dusting of snow is like driving a vehicle with slicks on it. I can't stop or start in the snow. Last vehicle I had that tracked this bad in the snow was my 1996 Taurus SHO that had Goodyear RSA's on it.

Thinking of trading the Flex in for something AWD or at least swaping the tires for something better before I wrap my flex around a tree in one of the snow storms here in Michigan. Trouble is the tire choices for the Flex 19's are slim and none. There are only about 5 tires you can get in this size. And most are rated junk in snow and/or wear down real quick. Only ones rated good are Yokohama Porada spec-x. I have no desire to buy snow tires and swap them out every year. Brother did that with his AWD Jaguar x-type. Pain in the butt every spring and fall to pay to have them swapped.

Edited by wizofozus, 15 January 2010 - 10:03 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   rc_cola

rc_cola

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

wiz,
check out www.tirerack.com. there are 10 tires in our 19" size.

-rc

#7 OFFLINE   Gumby

Gumby

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

I personally like the Yokohama Geolandar I/T's they are beasts in the Snow. Blizzaks would be my second choice, but they wear quickly.

As for swapping them out, if you get steel rims for winter and mount your snows on them, swapping is a breeze and can be done yourself. I like doing it that way as I do not become dependant on the tire shop and have to wait in line when it snows, or get them installed early (and wear down faster).

#8 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

I have no desire to buy snow tires and swap them out every year..... Pain in the butt every spring and fall to pay to have them swapped.

You should consider moving to a warmer climate. I live on the NH Seacoast and I'm sure your winters are more severe than ours. All our cars have winter tires and rims or they don't get driven in winter and I've been teaching at winter driving schools for over a decade ;-) It's not really a question of desire ( I don't like buying snow tires either ) it's a question of need and putting safety first. Just my buck two fifty FWIW.

#9 OFFLINE   wizofozus

wizofozus

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

You should consider moving to a warmer climate. I live on the NH Seacoast and I'm sure your winters are more severe than ours. All our cars have winter tires and rims or they don't get driven in winter and I've been teaching at winter driving schools for over a decade ;-) It's not really a question of desire ( I don't like buying snow tires either ) it's a question of need and putting safety first. Just my buck two fifty FWIW.

I'm used to my AWD. This is my first FWD vehicle in 10+ years. Had AWD Ford Escapes , AWD Explorers , AWD Edge , and AWD MKZ before this Flex. Those tracked like tank in snow. I bought the FWD Flex for mileage. With any of my AWD's all I got was 17mpg city or highway. My FWD Flex I get 25-26mpg on highway. But after 2 winters with the Flex I've had it. It's not safe. I kind of hate buying tires because I'm not 100% convinced that they will make that much of a difference. So it's a $800-$1000+ gamble.

I want to know what Ford's bizzare facination is with junk tires. Goodyear RSA's are total junk in wet or snow and Ford puts them on Fusion, Flex, Taurus. Claims there all-season. NO there not. Same goes for the junk Hankook's on my Flex. Goodyear RSA's are 13+ year old tires. All I can figure is Ford bought HUGE warehouse full of them for pennies on the dollar.

Winter tires I've read both sides. Some say there only good for 2 winters. Others say they last longer. Then like you said it's better to buy rims+tires. Thats $1200+. I can use that money for a new AWD vehicle. Considering dumping my Flex for AWD 2011 Lincoln MKX, 2011 Explorer or AWD ecoboost Flex.

The other kicker is here in Michigan (Detroit area). The Ford dealers hate ordering AWD vehicles for stock. 90-100% of there stock is FWD. I don't order cars, they always shaft me on my trade-in that way. Finding a AWD Fusion is next to impossible, same goes for AWD Edge.

#10 OFFLINE   Bulldozer

Bulldozer

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 08:49 PM

Living in the Pacific Northwest I have had expierences with tires in snow. It was mention that some snow tires wear out fast. A good snow tire will wear out faster due to the softer rubber which gives better traction in cold weather snow & ice. I know many tires are called all season tires, but none of them can match a good snow tire in snow.

I have looked for a good snow tire for my Flex 19 inch wheels, but the only one I have found is the Bridgestone Blizzards. Bottom line is a good snow tire is not a good summer tire and will wear fast and run hotter. Also they will cut your fuel milage due to higher rolling resistance. Ideally it's best to have 2 sets of wheels & tires, one for winter &one for summer and that is what I have always done. But with the Flex's pricy wheels and TPMS, that is an expensive option.

On my AWD limited I looked at how close the brake caliper is to the rim and I don't know if 17 inch wheels would clear them. Do any AWD owners know if 17 nionch wheels would even fit the AWD?

#11 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

On my AWD limited I looked at how close the brake caliper is to the rim and I don't know if 17 inch wheels would clear them. Do any AWD owners know if 17 nionch wheels would even fit the AWD?

17in wheels are standard on the base Flex and all Flex's have the same brakes, so you won't have any problems putting 17s on an AWD.

#12 OFFLINE   buyamerican

buyamerican

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

I'm going to saty away from Hankook - I'm at 19,000 miles they're almost bald already.

Am I crazy to expect 25k or even 30k from a set oet of OEM tires?

17in wheels are standard on the base Flex and all Flex's have the same brakes, so you won't have any problems putting 17s on an AWD.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·