Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel Economy

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   carman

carman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

My MPG readout on the '10 Ecoboost Ltd Flex is showing around 12.5 or so. Only had it a few weeks so far. I'll do a manual calculation sometime in the future.

#22 OFFLINE   Flex42

Flex42

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:57 AM

I've put 8500km on my 2010 EB and am typically seeing about 12 l/100km (about 20 US MPG) based on the information display. Though I haven't calculated actual from miles driven between fillups, it seems about right with typically about 550km between fillups. I think I likely could do a good bit getter if I'd lay off the loud pedal a bit. I've seen 9 l/100km on short distances driven sedately.
Definitely better mileage than my previous 2005 Pathfinder.

#23 OFFLINE   Gumby

Gumby

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:25 AM

I wish I had my Flex LTD Ecoboost, so I too could complain about it!!

#24 OFFLINE   Flex42

Flex42

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

I'm not complaining.
A, because I have my LTD EB and am really enjoying it.
B, because I am getting the mileage I was expecting/hoping for. I had no illusions and did not expect to be getting the government ratings (almost no one does). I was fearing I would be getting much worse, but that hasn't been the case.

#25 OFFLINE   smeehan

smeehan

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

As I'm only getting TEN MPG, I am tearing my hair out! We can't seem to get the dealer to do anything better than mutter generalities. Oh, it's going to improve if, you;d do more highway driving, or if you will just wait until our readjustments take hold, etc., etc. We've been after them since we bought our car 11 months ago, when we realized very early that something was seriously wrong with the MPG , and they still haven't done anything substantial. Iits mileage actually is getting worse. Do you know anyone at Ford HQ we could write to or call? Except for the MPG, we really like the car - we just want to make it function a a reasonable level.

#26 OFFLINE   Erik Fortune

Erik Fortune

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

I've got a new Flex Ecoboost AWD and I'm also dissapointed with the economy. It's only got about 1000 miles on it, so I'm sure it will increqase a little more after things break in a bit, but I'm seeing 17 MPG average while driving very nicely. I figured I would be seeing aboout 20 MPG. Sure hope it gets better!

I'd kill for 17mpg. I'm getting 14-15 and I don't even have the Ecoboost.

#27 OFFLINE   CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:21 AM

I'd kill for 17mpg. I'm getting 14-15 and I don't even have the Ecoboost.

I'm averaging about 17 or 18 with my ecoboost as well. About 4k on it now and have been averaging about that the whole time.

#28 OFFLINE   mallie

mallie

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

I'm averaging 21.2 to 21.6 mpg. Have 850 miles on the car. Is the fuel economy supposed to get better after a few thousand miles? Thought I read that it is. I'm happy with that since the Explorer I came out of got 17.1, but, I could be happier with 22 or 23 :) I just don't understand the WIDE range in avg mpgs. Are the people that are getting 10 to 16 avg mpg mostly driving in the city? I live in rural east Texas.
Mallie

#29 OFFLINE   hawleywood1

hawleywood1

2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost Pearl White, 2010 Porsche 4S Panamera

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

As I'm only getting TEN MPG, I am tearing my hair out! We can't seem to get the dealer to do anything better than mutter generalities. Oh, it's going to improve if, you;d do more highway driving, or if you will just wait until our readjustments take hold, etc., etc. We've been after them since we bought our car 11 months ago, when we realized very early that something was seriously wrong with the MPG , and they still haven't done anything substantial. Iits mileage actually is getting worse. Do you know anyone at Ford HQ we could write to or call? Except for the MPG, we really like the car - we just want to make it function a a reasonable level.

Your not being aggressive enough. You should have been on top of them from the get go. It may be to late. It is definitely under warranty. :mellow:

#30 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:41 PM

Your not being aggressive enough. You should have been on top of them from the get go. It may be to late. It is definitely under warranty. :mellow:

Absolutely agree... except for the spelling :P

#31 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:12 AM

I'm reposting my posts from the other board on the same subject for anyone who may not have seen it.
http://www.fordflex....t=2101&start=10

You may want to take another look at how your urban driving affects your mileage.

Our 2010 AWD Flex is rated at 16 city 22 highway. With just over 700 miles on it over 500 of them highway it is showing 16.0 MPG. I'm not surprised and I expect it to get worse. Here's why.

Our 2000 Ford Crown Vic is similarly rated at 16 city 23 highway. With just under 50,000 miles on it about half of them highway it shows an average of 11.2 MPG (it has been higher but never even the 16 MPG city). When I look at the AVERAGE SPEED readout it is 14 MPH. There is no way we drive at an average 14 MPH. The computer calculates miles driven over total time to get the AVERAGE MPH and that includes all time when the car is not moving. In city traffic cars spend a lot of time not moving, more than you (or the EPA) may think. The time that you are not moving, sitting there wasting fuel, severely affects your mileage. Every time our Crown Vic average MPH has been higher so has our MPG. Think about your highway mileage, you are driving faster so your MPH is higher and so is your MPG.

Look at this chart of how the EPA figures city MPG.
Posted Image

Note the distance, average speed and number of "stops." For a trip of 11 miles they are saying you will stop 22 times in a half hour at an average speed of 21 MPH. Where I am I would be stopping 5 or 6 times for every mile driven not the 2 times for every mile they say. The 14 MPH in my Crown Vic compared to their 21 MPH bears that out. And in an 11 mile city trip I doubt I would get up to 60 MPH twice. The bottom line is the more stop and go than the EPA estimates the lower your actual MPG will be compared to the EPA city estimate.

The Flex does not give you you AVERAGE MPH but if it did I think you would be surprised how low it is compared to what you would think it should be.

Try this- Take a "city" drive of 30 minutes noting how far you have driven in that time. Also note how many times you stop for red signals, stop signs and yielding to other traffic. Calculate your average MPH on the trip. If it's less than the 21 MPH average for the EPA city test expect your "actual" MPG to be less than the EPA estimate of 16 MPG for the Flex. Likewise calculate the average stops per mile. If you make more than the EPA estimate of 2 stops per mile expect your MPG to suffer.

Note: My wife drives our Crown Vic to work every day a one way distance of 1 mile. The trip takes about 10 minutes each way and the average stops one way are about 7 for all red lights, stop signs and traffic yields. That calulates to an average speed of 6 MPH and 7 stops per mile. The EPA city estimate is based on 21 MPH and 2 stops per mile. That explains why my Crown Vic is getting only 11 MPG, considerably less than the EPA 16 MPG estimate.

Did I lose you? The bottom line is that if you make more than 22 stops in an 11 mile city drive (the EPA estimated city drive), you will waste more gas than the EPA thinks you will waste and your actual city MPG will be less than their city MPG estimate. Stop more than the EPA says you will stop, you will waste more gas than they say will waste and your MPG will be lower than they say your MPG will be.

The above was updated with this-

Just to prove a point- I checked my MPG on the Flex a few nights ago and as I reported it was 16.0 MPG. I didn't even start the car to get the reading I just turned the ignition to on. Well I hadn't used the car since then. This morning I used the remote start for 10 minutes and when I got in the reading had dropped to 15.9 MPG. I'm not saying using the remote start with 10 minutes of idling will drop your mileage .1 MPG (that 16.0 reading could have been a hair away from 15.9) but it does show the effect of using gas when a vehicle is not in motion, MPG goes down.

And I'll update it further. I've made two more trips this week. Both started with a remote start, one was about 5 miles the other about 15. The 15 mile trip included mostly highway mileage but there was trafic, it was moving but a lot of slow up, slow down. The mileage reading is now down to 15.7 and I expect it will get worse unless I start making some long trips at steady highway speeds.

Anyone getting low MPG readouts should do manual calculations. You will probably find that your "city" mileage is worse than your FLEX MPG readout while your "highway" mileage will be better. If that's the case I suggest you just stop checking your mileage and forget it. Accept the fact that city driving will kill your mileage as will driving a 4500 pound vehicle like the Flex.

We've always had big, heavy vehicles driven mostly in heavy traffic areas and our mileage has always been lousy. Fortunately we only drive about 10,000 miles a year total so we can live with it. But if I was doing long commutes in traffic I would have to consider a different second vehicle. Yes, I saw the 16 MPG "city" when I bought the Flex and hope springs eternal in the human breast but I knew it would not happen with our driving patterns and from what I'm seeing I'm not surprised I'm at 15.7 MPG with the Flex and going down. I'm just being realistic about driving in urban areas.

#32 OFFLINE   carman

carman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:12 AM

Just did a check on my mileage. Manual calculation here. Ran the tank all the way down from 18.6 gallons and got 262 miles out of that. So my car gets 14.08 miles per gallon.

Edited by carman, 02 February 2010 - 09:13 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:23 AM

Just did a check on my mileage. Manual calculation here. Ran the tank all the way down from 18.6 gallons and got 262 miles out of that. So my car gets 14.08 miles per gallon.

How does that compare to your dashboard readout?

Also, what kind of driving did you do on that last tankful- city or highway?

Edited by bbskip, 02 February 2010 - 09:26 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   carman

carman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

How does that compare to your dashboard readout?

Also, what kind of driving did you do on that last tankful- city or highway?

Dashboard said 13.5. I do stop and go suburban driving.

#35 OFFLINE   Fitipaldi1

Fitipaldi1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:54 PM

January was a long a$$ month, wasn't it? Posted Image

I've only had mine a couple of weeks and already I barely remember the torture of waiting 8 weeks...trust me, it's worth it.

I'm getting about 14 MPG with 750 miles on the odometer...but I bought an EcoBoost for the power, not for the MPG's. Add to that the fact that I'm purposefully 'all over the map' on my acceleration rate during the break-in period, and I'm pretty happy with the mileage I'm getting. Definitely within my expectations.

Edited by Fitipaldi1, 02 February 2010 - 02:22 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   mallie

mallie

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

I came out of a 99 Explorer Limited, 5 liter engine V8. What all that means, I really couldn't tell you :rolleyes:
It had all the power I ever needed. My Flex Limited is not an EcoBoost. I can tell a little bit of difference in
"get up and go". Not enough to fret over since I don't NEED to accelerate like that . Today, for the first time, I "punched it" I guess I expected it to be kinda
puny (hence the need for the EcoBoost version). I was pleasantly surprised by it's get up and go. Granted it didn't
pin my ears back like my Explorer could but that's not something I really need to do anyway.
For those of you that don't have EcoBoost, are you happy with your Flex's power?
Still getting 21.4 &.5 avg mpg. Guess I should disclose that there is only 2 stop lights in my town so that might not qualify for
"city" driving :P
Mallie

January was a long a$$ month, wasn't it? Posted Image

I've only had mine a couple of weeks and already I barely remember the torture of waiting 8 weeks...trust me, it's worth it.

I'm getting about 14 MPG with 750 miles on the odometer...but I bought an EcoBoost for the power, not for the MPG's. Add to that the fact that I'm purposefully 'all over the map' on my acceleration rate during the break-in period, and I'm pretty happy with the mileage I'm getting. Definitely within my expectations.

#37 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

I came out of a 99 Explorer Limited, 5 liter engine V8. What all that means, I really couldn't tell you :rolleyes:
It had all the power I ever needed. My Flex Limited is not an EcoBoost. I can tell a little bit of difference in
"get up and go". Not enough to fret over since I don't NEED to accelerate like that . Today, for the first time, I "punched it" I guess I expected it to be kinda
puny (hence the need for the EcoBoost version). I was pleasantly surprised by it's get up and go. Granted it didn't
pin my ears back like my Explorer could but that's not something I really need to do anyway.
For those of you that don't have EcoBoost, are you happy with your Flex's power?
Still getting 21.4 &.5 avg mpg. Guess I should disclose that there is only 2 stop lights in my town so that might not qualify for
"city" driving :P
Mallie

Plenty happy... plenty of power... when I need or want to go fast, I'm not doing it in a vehicle like the Flex... but to each his/her own.....

#38 OFFLINE   EcoBrick Bob

EcoBrick Bob

EcoBrick Bob

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

I have less than 1k on EcoBrick. Dealer trade of 200 mi showed 19.8 mpg. Since then I have gotten as low as 13.8 over 100 mi and as high as just over 20mpg. It is so fun to throw around...I have been "driving it like I stole it" !
Last 150 mi I've tried to drive it normally and I'm at 17.4 mpg. These are the computer readings, so may not be accurate. However, it seems to be similar to my G8 GT, which has a tune. G8 is faster, but not my much.....

EcoBrick Bob

#39 OFFLINE   magic

magic

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:08 AM

Many factors will influence mpg.

City driving
Stop and go driving
Rabbit starts from start
Air pressure
Temperature
Altitude
Idling
Air conditioning
Load being carried
Electrical loads, ie. defroster, heated seats, fans, refrigerator
Aerodynamics
Warming up the car in cold climates

#40 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:01 AM

Hmm don't know what you guys are doing wrong to get such crappy mileage. My first tank averaged over 17 MPG, hand calculated, with me playing with it. This second tank the readout is hovering between 19 and 20 MPG. Realistically I should be seeing 18.5 or better provided I can keep my foot out of it.

Put an egg between your foot and the accelerator, coast to stops long before you get to them, dont hammer down from a light and keep it under 70 MPH and your mileage will improve. This car is not aerodynamic enough to get good MPG at anything over 65 MPH, its a brick.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·