Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Fuel Economy

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flexflex

flexflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

I'm starting to get concerned about the amount of fuel that our 2010 Limited AWD is consuming. So far we have about 2300kms - mostly city driving with some longer trips - and the vehicle's computer says we are using 20 litres per 100 kms. Not sure what this translates to in miles, but it seems excessive. I'm going to start to do some manual calculations in case the system is not accurate.

I have not spoken to the dealer yet, but I can't imagine what could be wrong to cause such a huge dicrepancy between my results and the published claims.

Anyone else seeing this kind of thing?

#2 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 06:35 PM

I'm starting to get concerned about the amount of fuel that our 2010 Limited AWD is consuming. So far we have about 2300kms - mostly city driving with some longer trips - and the vehicle's computer says we are using 20 litres per 100 kms. Not sure what this translates to in miles, but it seems excessive. I'm going to start to do some manual calculations in case the system is not accurate.

I have not spoken to the dealer yet, but I can't imagine what could be wrong to cause such a huge dicrepancy between my results and the published claims.

Anyone else seeing this kind of thing?

Well, that's 11.76 MPG, so I'd definitely get your calculator out at the pump and start doing some manual calculations. My records are found by clicking the link below.

#3 OFFLINE   Mtech

Mtech

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 07:35 PM

That's not normal. Granted we have a FWD SEL. We live less than 25 km from you, and our driving pattern is close to same, we get an average of 13 L/100km. Just last Monday I reset the fuel economy average to get a view of how the cold weather+short trip was affecting the fuel use, and it has increased to 15 L / 100km over the last 75km of city driving ~ Fairway Mall, to Sunrise Centre, to Zehrs, to LCBO, to CTC and then Tim's.

#4 OFFLINE   MrChubs1

MrChubs1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

I've got a new Flex Ecoboost AWD and I'm also dissapointed with the economy. It's only got about 1000 miles on it, so I'm sure it will increqase a little more after things break in a bit, but I'm seeing 17 MPG average while driving very nicely. I figured I would be seeing aboout 20 MPG. Sure hope it gets better!

#5 OFFLINE   swanny

swanny

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

flexflex, you may be interested in this: http://www.fordflex.....php?f=16&t=279

#6 OFFLINE   MrChubs1

MrChubs1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 07:48 AM

I just took a short highway trip (15 miles) and noticed that I couldn't do better than about 22-23 MPG at an average of about 70 mph. Not that impressed!

#7 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:36 PM

I just took a short highway trip (15 miles) and noticed that I couldn't do better than about 22-23 MPG at an average of about 70 mph. Not that impressed!

Are you sure? You've got a 2+ ton, well appointed, fairly clean burning 7 passenger vehicle capable of producing well in excess of 300++ HP that's shaped like a shoe box that's not even broken in and you're getting 23 MPG using RUG on a short trip at 70MPH and you're dissatisfied? C'mon.....
  • ksnax likes this

#8 OFFLINE   MrChubs1

MrChubs1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

Are you sure? You've got a 2+ ton, well appointed, fairly clean burning 7 passenger vehicle capable of producing well in excess of 300++ HP that's shaped like a shoe box that's not even broken in and you're getting 23 MPG using RUG on a short trip at 70MPH and you're dissatisfied? C'mon.....

Sorry, after revisiting the MPG ratings I see that what I'm seeing is normal. It's only rated at 22 hwy, so all is good.

Regarding the comments about how great the MPG is, sorry I still have to disagree. The car I traded out of to get into the Flex was 4250 lbs (not that it matters since we're talking about hwy mileage here), had a 6.1L V8 making about 475hp mated to a 5-speed tranny (not a 6). Under the same conditions it would average 26 MPG. I realize the Flex is not very aerodynamic, but that's not enough to make up for the difference at that speed.

This at least gives you my perspective!

#9 OFFLINE   CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:57 AM

Sorry, after revisiting the MPG ratings I see that what I'm seeing is normal. It's only rated at 22 hwy, so all is good.

Regarding the comments about how great the MPG is, sorry I still have to disagree. The car I traded out of to get into the Flex was 4250 lbs (not that it matters since we're talking about hwy mileage here), had a 6.1L V8 making about 475hp mated to a 5-speed tranny (not a 6). Under the same conditions it would average 26 MPG. I realize the Flex is not very aerodynamic, but that's not enough to make up for the difference at that speed.

This at least gives you my perspective!

I think the Flex is good considering its competition and runs on unleaded fuel. I too am disappointed in the mileage, but have resigned myself to the fact that given the size of the vehicle and the others in the class it gets really good mileage. My perspective is skewed though with the other vehicles in my stable. A Dodge Ram Diesel weighing in at almost 7000 lbs with over 300 hp and 550 ft lbs of torque that I average 20 mpg in and a VW Jetta TDI that is approximately 2500 lbs with 100 hp and 150 ft lbs of torque (I think that's right) that averages about 40 mpg. I just wish America would wake-up to the opportunities with clean Diesel. Some day soon I hope!

#10 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:33 PM

I just wish America would wake-up to the opportunities with clean Diesel. Some day soon I hope!

Here, here, mine gets roughly the same MPG as yours and actually makes 140HP... we love ours!

#11 OFFLINE   MrChubs1

MrChubs1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:46 PM

I personally hate diesels. The smell, noise, lack of top-end power and more difficult to find fuel (I know its almost everywhere, but not as available as gas) all combine to turn me off. Please don't tell me they don't smell. Even the new "clean" ones do. I relaize this is my personal preference. Diesels are great for stump-pulling torque, but I don't think they work well in a car. I rented one the last time I was in Europe and it was the most gutless car I've ever driven. The mileage was great, but I woulda given many dollars of gas money for a little more acceleration.

I'm not sure what to make of the unleaded fuel comment. Do they sell leaded gas anywhere still? They don't in the US as far as I know.

#12 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:32 PM

I personally hate diesels. The smell, noise, lack of top-end power and more difficult to find fuel (I know its almost everywhere, but not as available as gas) all combine to turn me off. Please don't tell me they don't smell. Even the new "clean" ones do. I relaize this is my personal preference. Diesels are great for stump-pulling torque, but I don't think they work well in a car. I rented one the last time I was in Europe and it was the most gutless car I've ever driven. The mileage was great, but I woulda given many dollars of gas money for a little more acceleration.

I'm not sure what to make of the unleaded fuel comment. Do they sell leaded gas anywhere still? They don't in the US as far as I know.

Well Mr. Chubbs, you're wrong again. You can run my 2009 VW Clean Diesel (common rail) Sportwagen in my garage with the door closed and not smell it. It is not more difficult to find fuel and even if it was, that's not exactly going to be a problem with a near 600 mile cruising range in a station wagon on about 14 gallons. We already know you're a horsepower guy, and that's fine, but fact is, the 4 banger diesel in our Sportwagen will outrun the gasser 2.5L Sportwagen in a 1/4 mile drag, so let's talk apples to apples.

As an aside, I'm well acquainted with the thrills of gasoline HP and big block torque as I've been a high performance and winter driving school instructor now for over a decade. I've personally got well over 1500 miles driven on-the-track at Watkins Glen and thousands of miles under my belt at Lime Rock, Road America, Mont Tremblant, and New Hampshire Motor Speedway. I've also run hundreds of miles at Team O'Neil's Rally school in northern NH, so I do indeed "get it."

Edited by QSHIPWAGON, 31 December 2009 - 07:37 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   MrChubs1

MrChubs1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:21 PM

Well Mr. Chubbs, you're wrong again. You can run my 2009 VW Clean Diesel (common rail) Sportwagen in my garage with the door closed and not smell it. It is not more difficult to find fuel and even if it was, that's not exactly going to be a problem with a near 600 mile cruising range in a station wagon on about 14 gallons. We already know you're a horsepower guy, and that's fine, but fact is, the 4 banger diesel in our Sportwagen will outrun the gasser 2.5L Sportwagen in a 1/4 mile drag, so let's talk apples to apples.

As an aside, I'm well acquainted with the thrills of gasoline HP and big block torque as I've been a high performance and winter driving school instructor now for over a decade. I've personally got well over 1500 miles driven on-the-track at Watkins Glen and thousands of miles under my belt at Lime Rock, Road America, Mont Tremblant, and New Hampshire Motor Speedway. I've also run hundreds of miles at Team O'Neil's Rally school in northern NH, so I do indeed "get it."

I know a guy that I work with that has the the same diesel VW and I can smell diesel when he drives by in the parking lot. You exaggerate severely.

Since only about 75% of local gas stations have diesel, you again exaggerate when you say it's not harder to find.

Apples to apples in this case is a comparison of ANY factory diesel car to common gas powered factory cars. There's no debate that 90%+ of the gas cars will run circles around the diesels.....and that's worldwide, not just in the US.. That was my point. The fact that VW makes a 2.5L that's weaker than the diesel they put in that car is not significant.

Lastly, you may get it, but you obviously don't appreciate it.....at least not as much as I do or you would drive higher performing cars for your daily commutes. That's all I was trying to say.

#14 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

I know a guy that I work with that has the the same diesel VW and I can smell diesel when he drives by in the parking lot. You exaggerate severely.

Since only about 75% of local gas stations have diesel, you again exaggerate when you say it's not harder to find.

Apples to apples in this case is a comparison of ANY factory diesel car to common gas powered factory cars. There's no debate that 90%+ of the gas cars will run circles around the diesels.....and that's worldwide, not just in the US.. That was my point. The fact that VW makes a 2.5L that's weaker than the diesel they put in that car is not significant.

Lastly, you may get it, but you obviously don't appreciate it.....at least not as much as I do or you would drive higher performing cars for your daily commutes. That's all I was trying to say.

If the guy you work with has a 2009 or 2010 common rail TDI and it smells like diesel something is severely wrong with it.

C'mon Chubs, are you telling me that because you can only find diesel in 3 out of 4 gas stations this is a problem? Get real.

I do get it Chubs, and I do appreciate it.... enough to have spent years (and many $$'s) behind the wheel of high performance cars where they can be properly and safely used... on the track, not on public roads where I simply find a seat in a true high performance ride to be more about frustration than anything. Then again, I've never driven a Dodge on the track. :banghead:

#15 OFFLINE   CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:47 AM

It is possible that the vehicle that is being referenced is a 2006 Jetta TDI like mine. I get a faint whiff of Diesel every so often, unlike the 2009/2010 models. As they look almost identical, it would be very easy to mistake one for the other.

I actually find the Jetta responds better around town than the Flex does for moving through low speed city traffic. On the highway though, it is a different story.

#16 OFFLINE   MrChubs1

MrChubs1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

If the guy you work with has a 2009 or 2010 common rail TDI and it smells like diesel something is severely wrong with it.

C'mon Chubs, are you telling me that because you can only find diesel in 3 out of 4 gas stations this is a problem? Get real.

I do get it Chubs, and I do appreciate it.... enough to have spent years (and many $$'s) behind the wheel of high performance cars where they can be properly and safely used... on the track, not on public roads where I simply find a seat in a true high performance ride to be more about frustration than anything. Then again, I've never driven a Dodge on the track. :banghead:

If I want to fuel up and they don't have my fuel, yes it's a problem. You need to get real if this doesn't make sense to you. All I ever said was that it's not as easy to find, which is clearly evident. ALL stations have unleaded.

It's not an annoyance to have the power to pass on a one lane country road or to safely, quickly enter the highway on a short ramp. Then again, I have had the joy of praying to make enough speed to enter the autobahn in Europe. Since you brought it up as a childish slap, you should try the Dodge thing. It's much more enjoyable than my experience with the diesel.

Driving is not just about getting from point A to point B for some of us. You obviously are not part of this group since your obvious focus is 100% on fuel mileage. This is why you will never understand my point of view. The ability to accelerate quickly is not only useful on the track, as I've already pointed out. Good luck finding any car enthusiast that doesn't agree.

Your repeated chest pounding regarding your track experience has zero to do with this topic , but please be my guest to continue. It's at least entertaining to watch.

#17 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

Your repeated chest pounding regarding your track experience has zero to do with this topic , but please be my guest to continue. It's at least entertaining to watch.

That's OK Chief, I've already got a 5 year old who doesn't listen very well, so I'm all set.... as far as the track experience goes, call it what you want, but I was admittedly a bit more like you until I had that experience ... perhaps you'll have the same experience someday... I hope you do....

#18 OFFLINE   hawleywood1

hawleywood1

2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost Pearl White, 2010 Porsche 4S Panamera

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

two weeks. avg. 13 mpg. like my range rover.

#19 OFFLINE   mallie

mallie

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:26 AM

I've had my Flex for a week. I'm using the mpg readout in front of the steering wheel. Averaging 21.5 mpg. Guessing it'll go down some when we have to start using the AC??
Mallie

two weeks. avg. 13 mpg. like my range rover.

#20 OFFLINE   Gumby

Gumby

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

LOL @ topic degrading to something else.

Back on topic...Do you do alot of remote starting the vehicle? Idling, or more city than Highway? I didn't read all the posts soe maybe you answered that?

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·