Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

First Snow In Our Flex

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:47 AM

First, I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've not yet installed our winter Nokians so we're still on the stock 18" Goodyear Assurance. Yesterday we got hit with a slushy thick mess here on the Seacoast of NH but I had to go out to get some gas for the old Ariens snow/slush thrower. I've been driving Audi Quattro machinery now for the better part of 15 years and started running and instructing at winter driving and high performance driving schools a decade ago. While this coastal mess was hardly a true test I will say that I was damn well impressed. While the Haldex AWD system is not considered a true Quattro system by many (it really isn't although some Quattros and VW 4-motions also have the Haldex system) it worked so well I didn't even bother to play. I live on a circle and I often take a few moments (probably to the chagrin of my neighbors) to play on our own personal skid pad. I'll report further when we get some "real" snow and I've got proper sneakers on the wheels. I'll be taking the Flex to our first winter driving school at Team O'Neil's Rally School complex at the end of January and will also report on this and maybe include some video.

A sample video of my buddy in his Suburban assault vehicle....

#2 OFFLINE   Harlangto

Harlangto

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

Do you east coast guys get "real snow", I was told by someone it compared to frozen grits mixed with white rice.
Just came back from this seasons 1st real winter driving experience in the SW Colorado mtn's. most major roads were closed so I had to get inventive with my routine trip back to Denver.
The FLEX handled everything from 12"++ deep powder to glaze ice with the stock 18" Goodyears, the low ground clearance was only an issue a couple of times but I never had to get out. I love this vehicle - it does help that I have attended the Bridgestone winter driving courses in Steamboat over the years and have had more than my share of incidents while driving in the high country.
I'm liking the FLEX more and more with every drive. It proved it is capable of handling the pleasures of winter driving.
I too have a '91 TQ 20V (which I still own and drive) that I purchased new and have always cherished it's motivation but this Haldex AWD system seems to handle the road in much the same fashion.

#3 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

Do you east coast guys get "real snow", I was told by someone it compared to frozen grits mixed with white rice.
Just came back from this seasons 1st real winter driving experience in the SW Colorado mtn's. most major roads were closed so I had to get inventive with my routine trip back to Denver.
The FLEX handled everything from 12"++ deep powder to glaze ice with the stock 18" Goodyears, the low ground clearance was only an issue a couple of times but I never had to get out. I love this vehicle - it does help that I have attended the Bridgestone winter driving courses in Steamboat over the years and have had more than my share of incidents while driving in the high country.
I'm liking the FLEX more and more with every drive. It proved it is capable of handling the pleasures of winter driving.
I too have a '91 TQ 20V (which I still own and drive) that I purchased new and have always cherished it's motivation but this Haldex AWD system seems to handle the road in much the same fashion.

Yes, we get plenty of real snow and I've shoveled off the roof of our cabin many a time to prove it... Nice to meet yet another owner of the rare '91 20v T... there are still a number of them in CO. I've always wanted to go out to Steamboat someday... I have friends who have gone and they rave about it... do you know Stott Hare or Chris Semple by any chance? See you at A-Basin on Memorial Day?

#4 OFFLINE   Harlangto

Harlangto

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 07:27 AM

I love my 20valve, it is the sneekiest of all sedans from that era and still pulls hard enough to embarrass the unknowing.

I noticed your taste in vehicles comes close to mine with the AUDI and Pontiac's - but my roots have kept me from the others,
Grandpa and Dad both insisted; BORN AMERICAN - DRIVE AMERICAN - SUPPORT AMERICA
I currently have a stable of 9 GTO's (all owned from the mid 70's) I am fortunate that I can keep them all and just consider myself CAR POOR.

No I don't know either of those gentlemen by name.
And what is the happening @ A-Basin on Memorial day?

#5 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

And what is the happening @ A-Basin on Memorial day?

Me, shirt sleeves, skis, beers.... be there...

#6 OFFLINE   spaulding

spaulding

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:20 AM

Me, shirt sleeves, skis, beers.... be there...

What no grilling at the bottom? You work your way right of the bowl up to ridge before (I forget if it has a name)? It's been years since I've been there but always seemed to be the best place to be and hang out with the locals.

#7 OFFLINE   Harlangto

Harlangto

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

the best days of spring skiing happen right there, no better place to be skiing @ the end of May
I will keep that in mind
almost sounds like an annual trip, are you driving the FLEX from NH?
maybe we should have an impromptu 10,000' FLEX rally

#8 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:24 AM

the best days of spring skiing happen right there, no better place to be skiing @ the end of May
I will keep that in mind
almost sounds like an annual trip, are you driving the FLEX from NH?
maybe we should have an impromptu 10,000' FLEX rally

I don't go every year, but I fly out and visit a friend in Aurora at least every other and if the weather is decent we've been known to ride out to A-Basin in his '69 GTO with the top down. Nothing like it.

#9 OFFLINE   Harlangto

Harlangto

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

well that sounds like a good time
keep me posted if your coming, I am usually in a BBQ cookoff in Frisco, CO. that Holiday weekend

#10 OFFLINE   henerygale12

henerygale12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:11 PM

First, I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've not yet installed our winter Nokians so we're still on the stock 18" Goodyear Assurance. Yesterday we got hit with a slushy thick mess here on the Seacoast of NH but I had to go out to get some gas for the old Ariens snow/slush thrower. I've been driving Audi Quattro machinery now for the better part of 15 years and started running and instructing at winter driving and high performance driving schools a decade ago. While this coastal mess was hardly a true test I will say that I was damn well impressed. While the Haldex AWD system is not considered a true Quattro system by many (it really isn't although some Quattros and VW 4-motions also have the Haldex system) it worked so well I didn't even bother to play. I live on a circle and I often take a few moments (probably to the chagrin of my neighbors) to play on our own personal skid pad. I'll report further when we get some "real" snow and I've got proper sneakers on the wheels. I'll be taking the Flex to our first winter driving school at Team O'Neil's Rally School complex at the end of January and will also report on this and maybe include some video.

A sample video of my buddy in his Suburban assault vehicle....

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·