Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Winter tire size, make and model

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 05:12 AM

I'm glad to see that there are so many of you debating which winter tire to use. The reality ,,,,,,,,Hopefully this answers some of your questions. Drive Safely!

GREAT POST

#22 OFFLINE   AK Flex Driver

AK Flex Driver

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

Hey all, only read the first post right now, got a newborn here lol. I have been driving Alaska winters for decades. Hopefully someone pointed this out already, you want NARROW/TALL for snow and ice.. Wider tires have a bigger tread patch hitting the road, narrow tires a smaller patch. Vehicle weight is fixed "x" pounds, small tread patch equals more PSI, larger tread patch equals less PSI hitting the road. More PSI between tire tread and road means more traction. -AK

#23 OFFLINE   Flex42

Flex42

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 07:10 PM

Hey all, only read the first post right now, got a newborn here lol. I have been driving Alaska winters for decades. Hopefully someone pointed this out already, you want NARROW/TALL for snow and ice.. Wider tires have a bigger tread patch hitting the road, narrow tires a smaller patch. Vehicle weight is fixed "x" pounds, small tread patch equals more PSI, larger tread patch equals less PSI hitting the road. More PSI between tire tread and road means more traction. -AK

Wider tires don't significantly change the area in contact. What they do is change the shape of the foot print from long and narrow to wide and short. I agree that narrower tires with thier narrow and long foot print is generally better for snow. Wide and short is generaly better for dry pavement. If I lived where there is a lot of snow and the roads were generally not plowed and salted down to bare pavement, then the choice would be easy. As that is not the case here in Southern Ontario, I thought I'd post and get opinions.
Anyway, I ended up getting the Yokohama G072's in 235/60-18. I have them on a 2nd set of rims (eBay for $200 for brand new take-offs). I skipped the TPMS. I haven't put them on the Flex yet as we seem to have hit a warm spell. I should be putting them on in a few weeks. I will report back once I have tried them a bit.
Thanks for the advice.

#24 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 01:58 PM

The safest option is Nokian Hakka 5 with studs. If you're not going to run studs, the Hakka R SUV will outperform the Hakka 5 SUV without studs.

I found a great price on a set of Nokian R SUV's and although they're still more than the Blizzaks I'm taking my own advice (and Tdot's) and putting on a set of Hakka's and bailing on the competent, but "You're no Nokian" Blizzaks....

..... it's good to be back with this incredible line of tires... !

#25 OFFLINE   Beadhead

Beadhead

Beadhead

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

Yet another choice for less extreme winter weather locations is to stick with the factory 20" wheels and mount a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snows. As their name suggests, these are winter rated tires, but with a definite bias toward dry/wet rather than ice/snow driving. They are an old design, probably the first real "all weather" tire for those who don't want to change tires for summer and winter use. They are "light truck" rated tires so they will give you a slightly stiffer ride, but also have a very robust construction and decent longevity, not to mention a "V" speed rating in our tire size. (P.S.: Try TireRack.com for a good price, fast delivery and excellent customer service).

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·