Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

What are you towing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doo Dad

Doo Dad

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

I am looking at a Flex as a replacement to my F150. I need to do some light duty (about 2500 lbs) towing with the vehicle. I'm sure the EB will handle it but wondering about the regular engine. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of payload. I have some reasonable hills to deal with and don't want to get run off the road, especially in the winter.

#2 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:15 PM

I am looking at a Flex as a replacement to my F150. I need to do some light duty (about 2500 lbs) towing with the vehicle. I'm sure the EB will handle it but wondering about the regular engine. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of payload. I have some reasonable hills to deal with and don't want to get run off the road, especially in the winter.

My 1100lb boat and about 250lb trailer aren't that big a load, but I barely feel it behind my V6... mileage suffers about 15%-20% depending upon what I'm doing.

#3 OFFLINE   giantmini

giantmini

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex SEL

Posted 01 July 2012 - 09:31 AM

We have a fiberglass travel trailer weighing approximately 3,200 lbs rolling down the road. While shopping for the Flex, we struggled to decide whether to go with the standard engine or to upgrade to the EcoBoost engine, finally deciding for the standard engine because of the large cost difference. We recently completed a 3,000 mile trip that included several 9,000 ft passes and the Eisenhower tunnel at 11,138 ft. The Flex did a terrific job. The only time we really would have liked the turbo was the climb to the Eisenhower tunnel, but the Flex made the ascent comfortably at 40 mph (right near peak torque at 4,500 rpm). It could have gone faster, but why push it for a 15 minute climb. We were also quite pleased with the fuel economy, typically achieving 15-18 mpg on level highways. The automatic transmission performed admirably, and the grade assist function was very helpful for long descents. See our blog at www.kibitka.blogspot.com for photos.

Edited by giantmini, 01 July 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   scotty5484

scotty5484

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost, 2011 Camaro SS/RS conv. and 2002 Ford Ranger Edge

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:27 AM

i went with the Ecoboost to tow my 3,000 lb. travel trailer. Mileage runs 15-17 if I take it easy. The Ecoboost likes to go fast and once I inadvertently passed 80 mph and couldn't even tell the trailer was there! The automatic sway control is amazing. This is the best towing vehicle I've every owned for what I tow.

Edited by scotty5484, 02 July 2012 - 05:28 AM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·