Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone with seat latch issues?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shemygo

shemygo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

I have already replaced the front passenger seat latch (at about 10,000 miles) and it is broken again (at 30,000 miles). In addition, the middle seat passenger side latch is only working intermittently. Has anyone else had any seat latch issues?

Edited by shemygo, 06 September 2009 - 05:05 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   Redwingfan01

Redwingfan01

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

I have already replaced the front passenger seat latch (at about 10,000 miles) and it is broken again (at 30,000 miles). In addition, the middle seat passenger side latch is only working intermittently. Has anyone else had any seat latch issues?

Yes, my 09 is in for the 5th LH Middle seat repair in 15 months. The hinges have been replace twice, the cable once, and they gave it a lube job once and claimed it was fixed. They are about to replace the hinges for a 3rd time and may replace the cable at the same time.

The problem is that the seat back won't release so that it can be folded forward UNLESS you grab the seatback and wrench it fore/aft while lifting VERY FORCEFULLY on the lever.

Once the seat back is folded forward it's a crap shoot on whether or not you will get the damn thing to fold up so the kids don't have to climb over it.

On a vehicle my wife and I absolutely love, having to take it in every 3 months for a seat repair is making me very unhappy. Hopefully service can fix it this time (not give me a 3 month temp repair) and I won't have to take it back in again.

What upsets me most is that I purchased a vehicle that seats 7 because I have 6 in my family. My wife takes the kids to school (often with a neighbor kid) and we NEED the third row, well the dealer only has Focus's as loners while they have my flex for 5 days 'fixing' it. Very difficult to fit 6 people in a Focus.

#3 OFFLINE   Gotchagain

Gotchagain

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

http://www.alldata.c...9-20-9/929.html

Print this and take your FLEX to the dealer with it.

Edited by Gotchagain, 24 November 2009 - 11:54 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   buyamerican

buyamerican

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:49 PM

That link is bad but I am interested.

I've got the exact same problem - I need to get kids into the back row and the seat latch requires a ridiculous amount of force to get it to pop up - the little lever is plastic and I know I am going to break it one of these days.

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Ford/1255935600000_1256544000000_09-20-9/929.html

Print this and take your FLEX to the dealer with it.

#5 OFFLINE   Redwingfan01

Redwingfan01

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:04 AM

Well here is the update on my seat issue. After 4 times of having the Flex in for them to grease the hinges, replace the cable, rep[lace the cable, replace the latch and still having to take it back in they decided the fix HAD TO BE... replacing the entire seat rail and then reskin it with my leather.

That was done approximately 3 1/2 months ago and guess what? We are once again back to the point of wrenching on the seat back while pulling up to get it the back to fold down. The dealer, of course says they have no idea what to do at this point.

So we will be keeping track of the repair parts, and the number of times we get it serviced for this over the next 12-18 months and turning it in under our states lemon law I guess. It really sucks too, because as I've said, we absolutely love this vehicle otherwise, but if I can't use the entire vehicle without great difficulty then why have the darn thing.

I maybe it is time to called Ford direct and get an engineer to come out and take a look at it or something. I don't know, I at a loss at this point.

#6 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

So if greasing it cures the problem for a while, why not just add lubing the system as a part of routine maintenance? Sounds like you guys give the seat a good workout, and it starts to bind when the lube dries out. A simple mechanic wouldn't look into it in detail to figure out why it binds, an engineer would. I consider myself a bit of both and would take the time to look over the entire mechanism to see why it binds. Sounds like you should have Ford do the same.

#7 OFFLINE   skabetti

skabetti

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

I have had the same problem, second row double seat bench behind driver, it never works, you have to strong arm it to get it to work, if you are lucky.
This is an absolutely dangerous problem, if you had to get out of the third seat quickly you are in trouble or if you had to get to a child in the third row. At car wash the other day
and they couldn't get seat to open so they didn't vacuum behind the seat.

#8 OFFLINE   D'Aire

D'Aire

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:21 PM

I have had the same problem, second row double seat bench behind driver, it never works, you have to strong arm it to get it to work, if you are lucky.
This is an absolutely dangerous problem, if you had to get out of the third seat quickly you are in trouble or if you had to get to a child in the third row. At car wash the other day
and they couldn't get seat to open so they didn't vacuum behind the seat.

It's interesting, but we have always had the same issue with the second row seat behind the driver in our 2006 Freestyle. It's not much of an issue for us, because we rarely have anyone sitting in that seat, but it is an annoyance.

#9 OFFLINE   rwjh

rwjh

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

I have an 09 flex SEL, AWD. The rear drivers side seat latch on my 60/40 seats (the 60 side) is broken completely. It was sticking for a few months, then one day I pulled the lever, heard an audible *snap*, and now the latch won't release the seat at all. Can't fold it flat, can't get in the back. It's a real pain because the other side has a car seat installed, meaning i have to uninstall and reinstall the car seat to get anyone back there. I'd move the car seat to the other side, but that means I can't reach back and help the little one if I'm on the only one driving. Dealer quoted over $500 to fix, just out of warranty (38000 Miles). Seems these seats are a problem and Ford is just biding its time, hoping others will break after the warranty expires. When people ask about my car, I tell them I love everything except this broken latch, which has a huge impact on the usability and my overall satisfaction with the vehicle. Most folks can't believe it broke so early in its life.

Poor supplier quality control leads to unhappy car owners. This is my first Ford. Can't say I'm looking to buy another. Can't say I tell others to buy one.

#10 OFFLINE   shorangerbird

shorangerbird

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:'88 Ford Ranger GT

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:37 AM

I have an 09 flex SEL, AWD. The rear drivers side seat latch on my 60/40 seats (the 60 side) is broken completely. It was sticking for a few months, then one day I pulled the lever, heard an audible *snap*, and now the latch won't release the seat at all. Can't fold it flat, can't get in the back. It's a real pain because the other side has a car seat installed, meaning i have to uninstall and reinstall the car seat to get anyone back there. I'd move the car seat to the other side, but that means I can't reach back and help the little one if I'm on the only one driving. Dealer quoted over $500 to fix, just out of warranty (38000 Miles). Seems these seats are a problem and Ford is just biding its time, hoping others will break after the warranty expires. When people ask about my car, I tell them I love everything except this broken latch, which has a huge impact on the usability and my overall satisfaction with the vehicle. Most folks can't believe it broke so early in its life.

Poor supplier quality control leads to unhappy car owners. This is my first Ford. Can't say I'm looking to buy another. Can't say I tell others to buy one.

-might want to check with the service manager there, or another dealer if he is no help, but only that many miles they should be able to request customer assistance for you. call Ford customer service and talk nicely to them and your service manager. hopefully they can resolve it for you.....

#11 OFFLINE   krbuck

krbuck

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:40 AM

Just another "me too" for this thread. I'm taking my 2009 SEL in tomorrow to have the second row seat behind the driver repaired. Fortunately it is under warranty.

#12 OFFLINE   Scott_FlexLtd

Scott_FlexLtd

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

Hello folks - been an eternity since I've been here. Be it right or wrong, here's what I'm thinking is going-on:

I've done some Googling of my bench-folding issue (2010 Flex Ltd w/ 60/40 split).

This (as many are experiencing) is a progressive issue. I didn't have it at first... then it got a little "sticky"... then it needed a "good lift" to disengage the latch for folding... then it got really temperamental to the point that I needed to lift the handle while VIOLENTLY shaking the backrest... to now: the point in which it is stuck upright.

One thing I am seeing people focussing on in their "fixes" online, is that there is too-much slack in the cable that runs from the handle-pull over to the opposite hinge where it needs to unlock/release the locking mechanism. I have taken the stance that they are focussing on the wrong issue. The "slack" cable is merely a secondary problem CAUSED by the first problem: the faulty release latch in the mid-hinge.

When you/we start (over time) pulling harder and harder on that handle to release the back - and it does not respond... the cable stretches. YES, it may LOOK like that's the problem if you've already been experiencing it - but it's just a byproduct of the faulty (failing) mid-latch.

The problem for me is... I cannot get *AT* the mid hinge latch to investigate because I cannot fold the seat forward. I have used brute force to pull that cable with vice-grips to no avail. It's not releasing on the other end.

At this point, I have the latch area exposed on the driver's side of the rear 60-bench... I have followed the cable with my hands to feel that it disappears into the plastic housing that encases the mid-position floor latch and folding hinge. It's all enclosed. I disassembled part of the center upholstery to fold-back the leather and remove some foam, only to see that the plastic housing is fully enclosed and I cannot see or get to the mechanism that releases the hinge to fold.

I am at a loss - as an owner who is far outside of warranty, I am shocked that in "this day and age"... a simple release latch is not a rock-solid piece of dummy technology in a modern vehicle. If any of you have any info that has solved this for you, PLEASE (re)share... :(

#13 OFFLINE   Ferdinand Isla

Ferdinand Isla

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

Yes, my 09 is in for the 5th LH Middle seat repair in 15 months. The hinges have been replace twice, the cable once, and they gave it a lube job once and claimed it was fixed. They are about to replace the hinges for a 3rd time and may replace the cable at the same time.

The problem is that the seat back won't release so that it can be folded forward UNLESS you grab the seatback and wrench it fore/aft while lifting VERY FORCEFULLY on the lever.

Once the seat back is folded forward it's a crap shoot on whether or not you will get the damn thing to fold up so the kids don't have to climb over it.

On a vehicle my wife and I absolutely love, having to take it in every 3 months for a seat repair is making me very unhappy. Hopefully service can fix it this time (not give me a 3 month temp repair) and I won't have to take it back in again.

What upsets me most is that I purchased a vehicle that seats 7 because I have 6 in my family. My wife takes the kids to school (often with a neighbor kid) and we NEED the third row, well the dealer only has Focus's as loners while they have my flex for 5 days 'fixing' it. Very difficult to fit 6 people in a Focus.

I have the same issue with my 2009 ford flex, LH middle seat. Unfortunately, I'm in Korea with the vehicle so I am pretty much stuck trying to fix it myself. do you know what parts the dealer replaced?

#14 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

I have the same issue with my 2009 ford flex, LH middle seat. Unfortunately, I'm in Korea with the vehicle so I am pretty much stuck trying to fix it myself. do you know what parts the dealer replaced?

Go here for some parts drawings:

http://www.fordparts.com/

After you put in your years: Body > Seats

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·