Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Battery Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   polarflex

polarflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:11 AM

Just looking under the hood. The one battery cable has a red rubber boot covering the cable and connection to the battery. The other side just was a bare cable. Should there be a black rubber boot covering this cable? Not sure if the dealer lost it or Ford only supplies the boot for the positive cable.

#2 OFFLINE   fl_gators

fl_gators

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:35 PM

Just looking under the hood. The one battery cable has a red rubber boot covering the cable and connection to the battery. The other side just was a bare cable. Should there be a black rubber boot covering this cable? Not sure if the dealer lost it or Ford only supplies the boot for the positive cable.

It's just to help identify the cable.

#3 OFFLINE   Bulldozer

Bulldozer

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

Most cars have the positive battery cable covered to prevent it from shorting out by coming in contact with metal such as the hood or other chasis metal. that is grounded to the negative cable. This is not necessary on the negative cable, as it;salready in contact with the chassis ground.

#4 OFFLINE   CJ8Rockcrawler

CJ8Rockcrawler

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:52 AM

Most cars have the positive battery cable covered to prevent it from shorting out by coming in contact with metal such as the hood or other chasis metal. that is grounded to the negative cable. This is not necessary on the negative cable, as it;salready in contact with the chassis ground.

This is true... but I believe that my 2010 Ecoboost has covers on both the positive and negative cable ends.

#5 OFFLINE   Hidalgo

Hidalgo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:22 AM

It's just to help identify the cable.

LOL ... man, I'm RELIEVED that you aren't working on MY vehicle.

FWIW, anyone who would rely on a colored boot to identify a battery cable's polarity is extremely foolish. The boot could have been switched or even installed on the negative cable. Foolish, foolish.

POLORFLEX: The Flex most likely only came with the positive terminal covered. Putting a boot on the negative terminal is not necessary because (as bulldozer already said) the chassis is already grounded to that battery pole through the cable. In other words ... there is nothing that can cause any damage to you or the vehicle if it comes into contact with the negative post.

You're good to go ... ;)

#6 OFFLINE   carman

carman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:21 AM

Mine came with BOTH terminals covered. I would ask the dealer to get you one if it's missing on one of the terminals.

#7 OFFLINE   Ducdave

Ducdave

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Flex

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

This is true... but I believe that my 2010 Ecoboost has covers on both the positive and negative cable ends.

...as does my 2011....

#8 OFFLINE   roblectric

roblectric

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

Negative post covered or not, doesnt matter. :hysterical:

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·