Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Flex 17" Wheels...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flexcurious

flexcurious

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:55 AM

I am considering a Flex and found one very close to my liking except that it has the optional 17" wheels. I would like to know if anyone out there can tell me if swapping these wheels and tires out for the 18" rims and tires will effect the speed/odometer or is there some way for the dealer to make an adjustment to the instrumentation? I wrote a note to Ford about this and they, much to my surprise, referred me back to the dealer. I told them that I would rather get the answer from them because, not to be overly cynical, the dealer has a short term interest in the answer given where Ford will likely sell a car either way. If my math is correct the 17ís have a TIRE diameter of 713.8mm and the 18ís have a diameter of 739.2mm. The question is, is that enough to make a difference or as mentioned earlier is there some adjustment which can be made to the instrumentation to compensate for this difference? Thanks very much for your help.

#2 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

I am considering a Flex and found one very close to my liking except that it has the optional 17" wheels. I would like to know if anyone out there can tell me if swapping these wheels and tires out for the 18" rims and tires will effect the speed/odometer or is there some way for the dealer to make an adjustment to the instrumentation? I wrote a note to Ford about this and they, much to my surprise, referred me back to the dealer. I told them that I would rather get the answer from them because, not to be overly cynical, the dealer has a short term interest in the answer given where Ford will likely sell a car either way. If my math is correct the 17ís have a TIRE diameter of 713.8mm and the 18ís have a diameter of 739.2mm. The question is, is that enough to make a difference or as mentioned earlier is there some adjustment which can be made to the instrumentation to compensate for this difference? Thanks very much for your help.

Plug your numbers in here to get the most accurate answers to your questions: http://www.miata.net...e/tirecalc.html

#3 OFFLINE   flexcurious

flexcurious

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:13 PM

Plug your numbers in here to get the most accurate answers to your questions: http://www.miata.net...e/tirecalc.html

#4 OFFLINE   flexcurious

flexcurious

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:16 PM

Thanks. That is a cool calculator. It told me that the non stock would have a reading which is 3.6% too slow, or, reads 60mph but is actually traveling 62.1mph. So the remaining question is, is there a way for the dealer to correct the speedo/odometer to compensate for this difference? Thanks very much.

#5 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:19 AM

Yes, it does make a difference and yes your dealer can reprogram it. Keep in mind it's not just the speedo/odo that uses the tire size in it's calculations, it's the ABS, stability control and the engine computer.

But what's wrong with the 17in tires? They are great steering and get the best fuel economy of all of the available Flex tires.

#6 OFFLINE   flexcurious

flexcurious

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

Yes, it does make a difference and yes your dealer can reprogram it. Keep in mind it's not just the speedo/odo that uses the tire size in it's calculations, it's the ABS, stability control and the engine computer.

But what's wrong with the 17in tires? They are great steering and get the best fuel economy of all of the available Flex tires.

#7 OFFLINE   flexcurious

flexcurious

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

Ironically I like the look of the 17" rims more than the stock SE's. That said, perhaps it is psychological, but they look signifcantly smaller. Not to be vain but a significant part to this car is its style. They just don't seem to fill the wheel wells as well.

#8 OFFLINE   lambdapro

lambdapro

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:17 AM

You will get a bit more warranty coverage if you upgrade to the 18" wheels and stay with the same profile tire.
David

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·