Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Dealer Says All 2010 AWD's Are Being Held Due to Faulty Seals

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tcbflex

tcbflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:29 AM

Just asked the dealer to track my 2010 Flex EB Limited AWD. He checked with regional rep and was told that they have discovered a faulty seal on the AWD models and are holding them while replacement parts are coming. If you already have a 2010 AWD delivered, better check with the dealer on what the plan is to address the ones that went out.

#2 OFFLINE   farmboy90

farmboy90

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:56 AM

Just asked the dealer to track my 2010 Flex EB Limited AWD. He checked with regional rep and was told that they have discovered a faulty seal on the AWD models and are holding them while replacement parts are coming. If you already have a 2010 AWD delivered, better check with the dealer on what the plan is to address the ones that went out.

I pick mine up tonight! There isn't another one in the whole state!! I am excited and SUPER glad I waited for the 2010. I loved the 2009 version, but after testing the 2010, the cars just aren't comparable. The EcoBoost changes everything about the car.

I will ask them about this issue tonight.

#3 OFFLINE   farmboy90

farmboy90

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

EDIT: I just emailed them and they said they will look into it and let me know.

#4 OFFLINE   cutmemick

cutmemick

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

Is the faulty seal for just the EB AWD or all 2010 AWD

#5 OFFLINE   tcbflex

tcbflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

Is the faulty seal for just the EB AWD or all 2010 AWD

His e-mail to me says all AWD's. It does not single out EB's.

tcbflex

#6 OFFLINE   cutmemick

cutmemick

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:26 PM

His e-mail to me says all AWD's. It does not single out EB's.

tcbflex

Thanks for the info.

#7 OFFLINE   farmboy90

farmboy90

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

Here is the info I received from my dealer:

Flex/MKT

Approximately 230 units with the rear console refrigerators are on hold.

Edge/MKX/Flex/Taurus/MKS/Fusion/Milan/MKZ

All AWD units are currently being held due to a faulty seal from the supplier units are being inspected and reworked.

Fusion/Milan/MKZ units have all been released and are shipping. 75 Edges and 440 Flex units still need to be repaired.

#8 OFFLINE   jackflash

jackflash

Flex-a-holic

• Ford Flex Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

Are the E.B. Flexes out now?

#9 OFFLINE   farmboy90

farmboy90

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:22 AM

Are the E.B. Flexes out now?

Yup. Mine is the only one in Arizona though, so they are rare at the moment. Technically I don't have it yet either. I will pick it up tonight or tomorrow.

#10 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

I pick mine up tonight! There isn't another one in the whole state!! I am excited and SUPER glad I waited for the 2010. I loved the 2009 version, but after testing the 2010, the cars just aren't comparable. The EcoBoost changes everything about the car.

I will ask them about this issue tonight.

Are you bragging, trying to make 2009 owners feel bad, or just hoping that an immensely more complicated engine with turbos in its first weeks of production won't wind up being a giant headache? Everything? 82 more horsepower in a 4800lb family hauler...hmmmm.

Edited by QSHIPWAGON, 14 August 2009 - 07:05 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   farmboy90

farmboy90

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:51 PM

Are you bragging, trying to make 2009 owners feel bad, or just hoping that an immensely more complicated engine with turbos in its first weeks of production won't wind up being a giant headache? Everything? 82 more horsepower in a 4800lb family hauler...hmmmm.

Not bragging and not trying to make any feel bad. My point is, for me, the cars aren't comparable. If there is a 2009 sitting next to a 2010 EcoBoost on a dealer lot, I am not even thinking about the 2009. Again, I love the 2009 Flex--I was very close to buying one. And I would have bought one except my wife wanted Steel Blue.

The EcoBoost has 93 extra horsepower and 102 more ft lbs of torque. This is an *immense* difference. That 350 ft lbs pushes the car the entire way through the RPMs too, so you definitely feel it. Drive a v6 2009 Mustang. Then drive the GT. The difference is very noticeable. The horsepower and torque gaps on the two Mustangs aren't as great as they are on the Flex either, so it will feel even more dramatic testing the two Flexes.

So yes, to me it changed everything about the experience of driving the car.

#12 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

So yes, to me it changed everything about the experience of driving the car.

That's a whole different thing to say than they're not comparable. Of course they're comparable... but for you the experience is one you wanted. Believe me, as someone who has been teaching high performance driving to students for nearly a decade I understand the lust for speed, horsepower, torque, and whatever else a powerplant can deliver to the soul of a vehicle. The Eco sounds like a fine vehicle and I wish you the best of luck with it. I just put my Flex through a course we set up for teens at one of our driving skills schools. It behaved admirably for what it is. In this case, HP and torque would have not made a difference... as much as I love the Flex, it exhibits prodigious amounts of understeer especially with the AWD system and the tires were pretty much spent after a single lap of only about 300 yards. So much so, I wondered if I had a tire going down. Drive safely...!

Edited by QSHIPWAGON, 15 August 2009 - 07:45 PM.

#13 OFFLINE   jackflash

jackflash

Flex-a-holic

• Ford Flex Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:27 AM

I look at it this way: If you want a high-performance Flex, go for the Eco Boost. For many though, the standard 3.5L engine is just fine.

#14 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:20 AM

That's a whole different thing to say than they're not comparable. Of course they're comparable... but for you the experience is one you wanted. Believe me, as someone who has been teaching high performance driving to students for nearly a decade I understand the lust for speed, horsepower, torque, and whatever else a powerplant can deliver to the soul of a vehicle. The Eco sounds like a fine vehicle and I wish you the best of luck with it. I just put my Flex through a course we set up for teens at one of our driving skills schools. It behaved admirably for what it is. In this case, HP and torque would have not made a difference... as much as I love the Flex, it exhibits prodigious amounts of understeer especially with the AWD system and the tires were pretty much spent after a single lap of only about 300 yards. So much so, I wondered if I had a tire going down. Drive safely...!

The Ecoboost Flex has a substantial retune of the suspension compared to the 2009, so it's more than just the HP and torque.
  • Foil~N~Powell likes this

#15 OFFLINE   veets

veets

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:42 PM

I just put my Flex through a course we set up for teens at one of our driving skills schools. It behaved admirably for what it is. In this case, HP and torque would have not made a difference... as much as I love the Flex, it exhibits prodigious amounts of understeer especially with the AWD system and the tires were pretty much spent after a single lap of only about 300 yards.

Ouch. As long as you are sacrificing tires in the name of science, why would understeer be more pronounced in the AWD version? Have you also tried this in a FWD Flex?

#16 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:39 AM

Ouch. As long as you are sacrificing tires in the name of science, why would understeer be more pronounced in the AWD version? Have you also tried this in a FWD Flex?

Allow me to rephrase, likely no more understeer with AWD than FWD (just as compared to what a RWD might exhibit) ...and the tires weren't really sacrificed, just too warm and on hot sun baked pavement...

#17 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:44 AM

The Ecoboost Flex has a substantial retune of the suspension compared to the 2009, so it's more than just the HP and torque.

My bad as you are correct. I'm still delighted to have acquired my 2009 SEL as equipped for $29,345... try that with Ecoboost ;-)

#18 OFFLINE   joselk1

joselk1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:48 AM

Looks like the delay has been resolved. PIcking up my SEL ECO Boost on Monday.

#19 OFFLINE   tcbflex

tcbflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

Looks like the delay has been resolved. PIcking up my SEL ECO Boost on Monday.

You are right. Found out mine was shipped on the 17th. Dealer says it should be here next week. Can't wait.

#20 OFFLINE   ahurst

ahurst

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

I can't find a single 2010 Ecoboost on any dealer lot in Colorado....what gives?

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·