Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Polishing 19" aluminum wheels

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ratpack

Ratpack

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

I know that there is another thread realted to cleaning, however I would like to know about polishing and shine. What do you guys use to make those 19" babys shine like chrome. Anybody use Mothers and the Ball Applicator that fits in an electric drill? Let me know your techniques.

#2 OFFLINE   TexasFlex

TexasFlex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

I know that there is another thread realted to cleaning, however I would like to know about polishing and shine. What do you guys use to make those 19" babys shine like chrome. Anybody use Mothers and the Ball Applicator that fits in an electric drill? Let me know your techniques.

I used the Mothers polish with the ball, works great. I have used this for years on the polished aluminum on my show car and havent found anything that makes it shines more with a little effort and time.

#3 OFFLINE   Ratpack

Ratpack

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

Will try the Mother's Ball this weekend. Wait, shouldn't the be Father's Ball? :hysterical:

#4 OFFLINE   merly553

merly553

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

Hi There!
This is Merly!
Im new in this site!
I used the Mothers polish with the ball, works great. I have used this for years on the polished aluminum on my show car and havent found anything that makes it shines more with a little effort and time.
Thanks!....
Car Sale Hub
Buying Used Car

#5 OFFLINE   Ratpack

Ratpack

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:34 AM

I read the back of the Mothers jar and it says, "do not use on clear coated rims". I believe ours are cleared. I washed them and then used wax. Shined up well. Anybody know this about Mothers?

#6 OFFLINE   fl_gators

fl_gators

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:36 PM

I read the back of the Mothers jar and it says, "do not use on clear coated rims". I believe ours are cleared. I washed them and then used wax. Shined up well. Anybody know this about Mothers?

You have to be careful with a clear coated polished aluminum rim. Polishes can strip your clear and ruin the look of the rim. In my opinion polished aluminum rims should not be cleared. I would stick to a car soap and wax and wash them frequently.

#7 OFFLINE   Ratpack

Ratpack

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:20 PM

You have to be careful with a clear coated polished aluminum rim. Polishes can strip your clear and ruin the look of the rim. In my opinion polished aluminum rims should not be cleared. I would stick to a car soap and wax and wash them frequently.

This still has not been answered.

1.) Can you use Mothers on Clear Coated Rims?

2.) Are the 19" Aluminum Rims on the 2009 Flex Clear coated?

3.) If so, then how do you polish them without damage?

I really think this needs to be clarified, before we have the " F***ed Up my Rims" thread.

Edited by Ratpack, 08 September 2009 - 05:21 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   fl_gators

fl_gators

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

This still has not been answered.

1.) Can you use Mothers on Clear Coated Rims?

2.) Are the 19" Aluminum Rims on the 2009 Flex Clear coated?

3.) If so, then how do you polish them without damage?

I really think this needs to be clarified, before we have the " F***ed Up my Rims" thread.

1. No you should not use a polish on clear coated polished aluminum rims unless it states that it is safe for clear coats (Non-Abrasive).
2. Yes
3. Wash with a mild soap and use a non abrasive wax.

Damn.

#9 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

I have a 1999 F350 with the polished aluminum wheels and they were looking pretty crappy, so I made the mistake of removing the clear coat and polishing them. The very first winter turned them to junk. The salt ate into the rims so now they are pitted. The Clear coat should be treated the same way you treat the paint on your car, A coat of wax is all you need to keep them looking good, or do like I did with the Sport, put Zaino on them, then the dirt rinses right off.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·