Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

How many miles on your flex?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   vwguy0429

vwguy0429

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Canada Atlantic Provinces
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Flex 2009 Limited AWD

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

well I bought it used with just over 20,000 on the odometer. Now there is jus t a bit over 30,000 km's on it
have had my share of small repairs,
however I love driving it every where we go,
comfortable and quiet!
Love the dvd and the sync with blue tooth!

#22 OFFLINE   Mattie N Zelda

Mattie N Zelda

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

i have had mine since it was new in 2011 with 197 miles according to the state...  at 4000 I drove from Florida to Buffalo and noticed a strong overwhelming smell...  like that of a hair dressing giving a perm to a little old lady.... I also noticed it wouldn't go into passing gear so I took it to a dealer in Buffalo and they said it was likely the coating burning off the catalytic converter..  and that the programming of the computer is what controls the shifting and it is what it is....  with that I drove home and after about 3 weeks the check engine light came on.  The local dealer said its probably that the fuel filler opening was not closed correctly .  I took it in they had it for 3 weeks while they replaced the computer at 6000 miles and did an oil change and rotated the tires.  At which point they noted that the front tire needed replaced and said it must be my poor driving.  I disregarded that comment.. but was afraid to rotate them back to the front at my second oil change since now they were even worse... I continue to have the awful perm smell when accelerating quickly getting onto the highway.  Even with the air conditioning set to recycle the cabin air.  I now have 25000 miles on the car and wish I hadn't traded my Expedition for this lemon...  The interior is great just the problems have been lousy.  I had to have the rear pillar covers that wrap around the pillars from the large side rear windows to the back hatchdoor replaced as the cracked in a stress pattern identically on both sides.  the Dealer opened and slammed the read doors and the hatch several times and suggested that I had a rear end collision and that was the issue, although I Assured him I had no such issue. what a friggin nightmare with this car.... 

#23 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:16 AM

i have had mine since it was new in 2011 with 197 miles according to the state...  at 4000 I drove from Florida to Buffalo and noticed a strong overwhelming smell...  like that of a hair dressing giving a perm to a little old lady.... I also noticed it wouldn't go into passing gear so I took it to a dealer in Buffalo and they said it was likely the coating burning off the catalytic converter..  and that the programming of the computer is what controls the shifting and it is what it is....  with that I drove home and after about 3 weeks the check engine light came on.  The local dealer said its probably that the fuel filler opening was not closed correctly .  I took it in they had it for 3 weeks while they replaced the computer at 6000 miles and did an oil change and rotated the tires.  At which point they noted that the front tire needed replaced and said it must be my poor driving.  I disregarded that comment.. but was afraid to rotate them back to the front at my second oil change since now they were even worse... I continue to have the awful perm smell when accelerating quickly getting onto the highway.  Even with the air conditioning set to recycle the cabin air.  I now have 25000 miles on the car and wish I hadn't traded my Expedition for this lemon...  The interior is great just the problems have been lousy.  I had to have the rear pillar covers that wrap around the pillars from the large side rear windows to the back hatchdoor replaced as the cracked in a stress pattern identically on both sides.  the Dealer opened and slammed the read doors and the hatch several times and suggested that I had a rear end collision and that was the issue, although I Assured him I had no such issue. what a friggin nightmare with this car.... 

Sorry you've had a bad experience, but it sounds like you've managed to find a bunch of incompetent dealers.  All of the problems you mention are pretty common issues on the Flex and in most cases Ford has published a TSB or service message.  All the dealer has to do is look it up and the instructions for the fix are right there in front of them.

The smell especially has a new TSB that you should have done.  Incidentally, leaving it in recirc mode makes it worse.  The smell comes in from the back, the fresh air comes in from the front, so turning off recirc will help, but the TSB will help seal up the back to keep it from coming in at all.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·