Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

First road trip

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

We just got back from a ~3000 mile trip going from Florida to Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and DC. We averaged 19.3 mpgs for the whole trip. Keep in mind that that's with 4 people, all our gear filling the folded down cargo area, front and rear air going, various heated seats going, computer plugged into the outlet, and the fridge going. Also once we got to TN, PA, and DC, that mpg figure would be affected by the mountains, traffic, and such.

In case you're wondering, what I personally did when driving (mainly at night) is I would keep the air cold at 60* to help keep me lively and even though I wasn't really cold, I've noticed that on long trips, putting the seat heater on can help you feel more comfortable as you travel longer distances.....like if my back/rear starts to get uncomfortable, I'll turn the heater on and it'll relieve the uncomfortable feeling......it's the best I can do without the Taurus' massage chairs, lol.

On the trip, in Northern Georgia (perhaps South TN?) on either I-75 or I-24, I looked in the rearview mirror and a Sterling Gray w/ white top SEL Flex was coming up behind me......anyway, we ended up traveling together (I was in front) for a good 15-20 minutes at least. When they first caught up to me, I saw them pointing and talking, and also saw some people in back lean inwards to look forward around the front seats. We would've continued on longer together, but my brother had to go to the restroom, so I pulled off. I was kinda hoping they'd follow me off the exit, but they didn't.....I waved as they passed, but didn't see anybody wave back (I think the excitement of seeing another one wore off by that time). I thought it was fun traveling together like that (even if they didn't care) and it was fun watching the people we passed look at one then the other as we passed, as I'm sure many haven't seen one Flex yet, let alone two at once on a road. I don't believe it was anybody here, but it could've been. Sorry for the rant, but I was excited to have it happen and to share my experience.

Even though we had to break off the highway (and out of the mini-convoy), when we got gas and went to the restroom, I spent about 5 minutes talking with someone else that was there at the station about the Flex and it's features....

Edited by rmc523, 06 August 2009 - 09:59 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   NCiceyflex

NCiceyflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:22 PM

We just got back from a ~3000 mile trip going from Florida to Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and DC. We averaged 19.3 mpgs for the whole trip. Keep in mind that that's with 4 people, all our gear filling the folded down cargo area, front and rear air going, various heated seats going, computer plugged into the outlet, and the fridge going. Also once we got to TN, PA, and DC, that mpg figure would be affected by the mountains, traffic, and such.

In case you're wondering, what I personally did when driving (mainly at night) is I would keep the air cold at 60* to help keep me lively and even though I wasn't really cold, I've noticed that on long trips, putting the seat heater on can help you feel more comfortable as you travel longer distances.....like if my back/rear starts to get uncomfortable, I'll turn the heater on and it'll relieve the uncomfortable feeling......it's the best I can do without the Taurus' massage chairs, lol.

On the trip, in Northern Georgia (perhaps South TN?) on either I-75 or I-24, I looked in the rearview mirror and a Sterling Gray w/ white top SEL Flex was coming up behind me......anyway, we ended up traveling together (I was in front) for a good 15-20 minutes at least. When they first caught up to me, I saw them pointing and talking, and also saw some people in back lean inwards to look forward around the front seats. We would've continued on longer together, but my brother had to go to the restroom, so I pulled off. I was kinda hoping they'd follow me off the exit, but they didn't.....I waved as they passed, but didn't see anybody wave back (I think the excitement of seeing another one wore off by that time). I thought it was fun traveling together like that (even if they didn't care) and it was fun watching the people we passed look at one then the other as we passed, as I'm sure many haven't seen one Flex yet, let alone two at once on a road. I don't believe it was anybody here, but it could've been. Sorry for the rant, but I was excited to have it happen and to share my experience.

Even though we had to break off the highway (and out of the mini-convoy), when we got gas and went to the restroom, I spent about 5 minutes talking with someone else that was there at the station about the Flex and it's features....

Hello
haven't got a pic yet but i just bought a flex almost identical to yours last night! Only diffence is ours has the 20" wheels...those 22" must be great. Have you had her in the snow yet?
Jennifer in NC

#3 OFFLINE   Flexinator

Flexinator

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:27 PM

just completed our second big road trip in our Flex...Black, silver roofed limited...it's great on the highways...we put over 3,300 miles on our flex, started in Oakville, Ontario, Canada (home of the Flex), and passed through Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota and into Manitoba. we averaged approximately 21 mpg on the trip. we love taking it on long trips and letting it stretch it's legs. it is so comfortable. we have the second row fridge, but also had a cooler plugged into the back, a dvd player running off the a/c outlet and at least 2 or 3 items plugged into the power points. the sattelite radio and sync system with our i-pod was such a treat as we plodded along with two overnight runs while the kids slept in the back.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·