Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

where can i purchase roof rails ?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   riviecc

riviecc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:47 AM

Can any body tell me where I can purchase the oem roof racks for my sel,[no vista roof] or does anyone know the part #? I have checked with some local dealer and they are no help at all.. Also googled the web to no avail. Already ordered 58" thule cross bars for these rails thinking there was no problem purchasing them.

#2 OFFLINE   Genetic

Genetic

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:50 AM

Can any body tell me where I can purchase the oem roof racks for my sel,[no vista roof] or does anyone know the part #? I have checked with some local dealer and they are no help at all.. Also googled the web to no avail. Already ordered 58" thule cross bars for these rails thinking there was no problem purchasing them.

http://www.partswebsite.com/fordpartswebsite/?i=1&make=123&model=2045&year=2009&catid=30219&subcatid=33525&section=127&type=parts

Try here.

#3 OFFLINE   riviecc

riviecc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the info.Not sure what parts to order . do I need new insert covers and channel retainer clips ? do I need to drill ? Can old covers be cut to size? Roof is same color as body with black channel inserts.I would like to install the chrome rails

#4 OFFLINE   gregb1906

gregb1906

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:08 PM

I am anxious to find out an answer to this myself. The plastic coverings over where you would attach the roof rails to the roof seem easy enough to remove. What I am hoping is that Ford used a roof rail system from another Ford SUV that can be used on our Flexs. It appears the Explorer is the closest fit. My dealer said the car is so new that Ford does not sell the part individually yet, but obviously they make roof rails because they are installed on new equipment. Ford does not yet sell them as an "add on" part yet.
  • DamonDisch likes this

#5 OFFLINE   gregb1906

gregb1906

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

Okay, I saw the link, but from the web sit what do we order? I called the website and left a message with Bruce's voicemail to ask what we need. Has anyone found out what to order yet? Thanks. We have to drive from Georgia to Texas this Thanksgiving and I need room inside the car for my dog!

#6 OFFLINE   gregb1906

gregb1906

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:18 PM

I messed up when I bought my Flex because we choose color over roof rails thinking we could add the roof rails (front to back; not across) later. Big mistake! We've had the car for 2 weeks and when I went in to order the roof rails it's almost $1500! You're looking at 8 hours labor just to remove the headliner. Now we have a car we can't take long distance with any kind of luggage. Has anyone put on an aftermarket trailer hitch? Thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   riviecc

riviecc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

I messed up when I bought my Flex because we choose color over roof rails thinking we could add the roof rails (front to back; not across) later. Big mistake! We've had the car for 2 weeks and when I went in to order the roof rails it's almost $1500! You're looking at 8 hours labor just to remove the headliner. Now we have a car we can't take long distance with any kind of luggage. Has anyone put on an aftermarket trailer hitch? Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   riviecc

riviecc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

I called parts web(see posting from genetic)and they told me parts will cost roughly 600.00 plus shipping about 100.00. THEY WERENT SURE WHAT PARTS YOU ACTUALY NEED.They also said you need to drop headliner.If you look at posting by dmarkjohn it shows diagram of roof rail system and some of the parts may be able to be reused from the existing roof channel covers.Also one of the guys replied to him that he did the job himself in about 15 minutes with out dropping headliner or drilling roof on his flex vista roof.I did the job on my 04 pacifica and it was simple.I did not buy the parts yet from web parts.com because I thought they were to expensive,didnt know what parts were actually needed and you should be able to get them from a local dealer in the near future must cheaper.Also thule should be coming out with an aero rack pretty soon that you can install or remove when you need it.

#9 OFFLINE   roadrunner

roadrunner

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:19 AM

I called parts web(see posting from genetic)and they told me parts will cost roughly 600.00 plus shipping about 100.00. THEY WERENT SURE WHAT PARTS YOU ACTUALY NEED.They also said you need to drop headliner.If you look at posting by dmarkjohn it shows diagram of roof rail system and some of the parts may be able to be reused from the existing roof channel covers.Also one of the guys replied to him that he did the job himself in about 15 minutes with out dropping headliner or drilling roof on his flex vista roof.I did the job on my 04 pacifica and it was simple.I did not buy the parts yet from web parts.com because I thought they were to expensive,didnt know what parts were actually needed and you should be able to get them from a local dealer in the near future must cheaper.Also thule should be coming out with an aero rack pretty soon that you can install or remove when you need it.

Just went through this with my 09. The rails are not sold as a kit, but as replacement parts. Be sure to order the end caps. It took the shop about two hours to install and you do not have to drop the headliner. They removed the black rubber and Ford has all the hardware in place for the attachments. After talking to the installer I think it is very simple to do the install

#10 OFFLINE   gregb1906

gregb1906

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

Just went through this with my 09. The rails are not sold as a kit, but as replacement parts. Be sure to order the end caps. It took the shop about two hours to install and you do not have to drop the headliner. They removed the black rubber and Ford has all the hardware in place for the attachments. After talking to the installer I think it is very simple to do the install

#11 OFFLINE   gregb1906

gregb1906

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

Okay, let me get this staight. I can order the roof rails for $600, plus $100 for shipping and I can get them installed in 2 hours by a guy who knows what he's doing (without dropping the headliner) or I can do it myself because the roof tracks are already to set up to install the rails? I live in the Atlanta area. Where is the shop that installed them so I can give them a call and talk to them about it? Thanks.

#12 OFFLINE   tunnonator

tunnonator

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:50 AM

Can somebody please provide all of the FORD part numbers for all the parts necessary to install roof rails?
Thanks.

#13 OFFLINE   va3rne

va3rne

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:07 PM

Can somebody please provide all of the FORD part numbers for all the parts necessary to install roof rails?
Thanks.

OK guys, sorry to hear all your frustrations. Had the same experience, and finally got fed up asking the dealer or even the customer service office of Ford directly. So I took matters into my own hands. I ordered Dynasport rails, Mont Blanc bars (rated to 200 lbs.) and a Thule fairing for wind and sound resistance. I will try to attach a picture. If I can't find my pics I know I posted it on photo gallery either in this website or at www.fordflex.net.

#14 OFFLINE   va3rne

va3rne

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:02 PM

OK guys, sorry to hear all your frustrations. Had the same experience, and finally got fed up asking the dealer or even the customer service office of Ford directly. So I took matters into my own hands. I ordered Dynasport rails, Mont Blanc bars (rated to 200 lbs.) and a Thule fairing for wind and sound resistance. I will try to attach a picture. If I can't find my pics I know I posted it on photo gallery either in this website or at www.fordflex.net.

I have uploaded the pictures at the Ford Flex Forum Members Gallery. The link is Ford Flex Forum > Gallery > Ford Flex Forum Members Gallery > Roof Rack.

Let me know if you guys need more info.

#15 OFFLINE   riviecc

riviecc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:58 PM

I have uploaded the pictures at the Ford Flex Forum Members Gallery. The link is Ford Flex Forum > Gallery > Ford Flex Forum Members Gallery > Roof Rack.

Where did you purchase the Dynasport rails?I live in the Bronx.How much did they cost and did you install them your self?I saw your photos.Looks good

#16 OFFLINE   tunnonator

tunnonator

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:45 AM

Photos are quite nice. Thanks for posting them.

#17 OFFLINE   tunnonator

tunnonator

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:05 AM

What you need to install chrome roof side rails on your Flex.

020F/8A8Z7455182AA CAP
020F/8A8Z7455183AA CAP
020F/8A8Z74551A46AA CAP
020F/8A8Z74551A47AA CAP
020F/8A8Z7455114BA RAIL - ROOF RACK SIDE
020F/8A8Z7455115BA RAIL - ROOF RACK SIDE
020F/W713109S439 SCREW (Need 8)
020F/W713232S439 SCREW AND WASHER ASY (Need 8)
020F/8A8Z7450002AA RETAINER - ROOF TRIM (Need 8)
020F/N621926S441 NUT AND WASHER ASY (Need 8)

#18 OFFLINE   gregb1906

gregb1906

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:54 AM

Great post and I would love to buy these rails; but how much?

#19 OFFLINE   va3rne

va3rne

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

Where did you purchase the Dynasport rails?I live in the Bronx.How much did they cost and did you install them your self?I saw your photos.Looks good

Sorry guys, been busy the last two days. Here is the link:

http://www.prolinera...roof-racks.html

There are variety of choices. I chose just the rails as mentioned in my previous post so I can get a higher rated bars (Mont Blanc). The complete set for the Dynasport with bars and roof slats is rated only 75 lbs.(evenly distributed) in a static position. That means your load when the vehicle is in motion can weigh 3X the actual weight. Bad for the roof; but a good rated bar like Mont Blanc you can attach your cargo on the bars.

The rail just cost me $75.00. The set of bars is another story. It cost a little over a hundred bucks but perfectly fits the rails of the Dynasport. You need to drill holes, no hazzle; screws not long enough to penetrate the second layer of the roof. And it is highly advised NOT to take off the black channel inserts an install the rails there.

The Aventura is another good choice.

Good luck to your choices. Of by the way, my DIY friend did it for me.

#20 OFFLINE   jasffc

jasffc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

What you need to install chrome roof side rails on your Flex.

020F/8A8Z7455182AA CAP
020F/8A8Z7455183AA CAP
020F/8A8Z74551A46AA CAP
020F/8A8Z74551A47AA CAP
020F/8A8Z7455114BA RAIL - ROOF RACK SIDE
020F/8A8Z7455115BA RAIL - ROOF RACK SIDE
020F/W713109S439 SCREW (Need 8)
020F/W713232S439 SCREW AND WASHER ASY (Need 8)
020F/8A8Z7450002AA RETAINER - ROOF TRIM (Need 8)
020F/N621926S441 NUT AND WASHER ASY (Need 8)

Thanks for the part numbers -
I found that if you do not remove the headliner, then you would not need the nut and washer; and if you do not damage the retainer then you will not need those either. Finally you only need the 8 long screws, not the short screws.
A technical note - pull the existing rail off from the rear first, then PULL the rail off of the front attachment - do not jerk it off - pull toward the rear of the car leaving the front stud intact - then you can pull the front connection out of the new rails and insert the rail end onto the remaining stud - the other holes are clearly marked for the longer screws.
There is some discussion on pulling of the headliner to insert the nuts onto the new longer bolts. The boys at my local ford shop told me that the bolts did not need the nuts. They also had no experience in removing the headliner of a Flex with Vista Roof so I elected not to remove the headliner.
By not removing the headliner, you can easily do this yourself, but as stated above, the rails are expensive. I replaced the antenna with a shark, info on that found elsewhere in this forum

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·