Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Latest issue - hard to see out windshield in bright sun

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kyflex

kyflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

I've had my Black Flex w/ Silver roof for about 3 months. So far I've had to get all the silver trim reattached, had to get all the window seals replaced, had to get a very rough area in the paint on the frame redone, had to touch up the silver roof, and had to get the panel under the steering wheel tightened. Now, as I'm driving into the sun I notice my windshield is, for lack of a better description, sparkly. I tried to clean it inside and out with no effect. I believe it is inside the glass itself. Not noticeable on cloudy days, or in the evening but really bad on a sunny day. Glaring in fact. Is this yet another problem to add to my list? I almost bought the Highlander. Never had a single problem with my Camry or Sienna. But I loved driving the Flex. Loved the Vista roof. I think it's a cool car. Well, I thought it was a cool car. Losing my cool with every new problem discovered! :(

#2 OFFLINE   flexibility

flexibility

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

I've had my Black Flex w/ Silver roof for about 3 months. So far I've had to get all the silver trim reattached, had to get all the window seals replaced, had to get a very rough area in the paint on the frame redone, had to touch up the silver roof, and had to get the panel under the steering wheel tightened. Now, as I'm driving into the sun I notice my windshield is, for lack of a better description, sparkly. I tried to clean it inside and out with no effect. I believe it is inside the glass itself. Not noticeable on cloudy days, or in the evening but really bad on a sunny day. Glaring in fact. Is this yet another problem to add to my list? I almost bought the Highlander. Never had a single problem with my Camry or Sienna. But I loved driving the Flex. Loved the Vista roof. I think it's a cool car. Well, I thought it was a cool car. Losing my cool with every new problem discovered! :(

Wear polarized sun glasses.
  • Sandy likes this

#3 OFFLINE   kyflex

kyflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

Wear polarized sun glasses.

We do.

#4 OFFLINE   flexibility

flexibility

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:52 AM

We do.

Ah... well there you go then. Stop wearing polarized sunglasses :)

#5 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

Since the car was "in the shop" it's possible something got onto the windshield that ordinary glass cleaner will not remove. I would suggest you try cleaning it again and see if it helps. I find "Invisible Glass" sold at Wal-Mart is very good if not the best. Test a small area first and see if it makes a difference. We parked near a construction site once where they sprayed something that got onto the windshield. We didn't notice it until it rained. Then it chewed up the wiper blades reducing visibility to the point where the car could not be safely driven. It took lots of cleaner and a window sticker scraper to remove it.

#6 OFFLINE   kyflex

kyflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

Since the car was "in the shop" it's possible something got onto the windshield that ordinary glass cleaner will not remove. I would suggest you try cleaning it again and see if it helps. I find "Invisible Glass" sold at Wal-Mart is very good if not the best. Test a small area first and see if it makes a difference. We parked near a construction site once where they sprayed something that got onto the windshield. We didn't notice it until it rained. Then it chewed up the wiper blades reducing visibility to the point where the car could not be safely driven. It took lots of cleaner and a window sticker scraper to remove it.

#7 OFFLINE   kyflex

kyflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

Ah... well there you go then. Stop wearing polarized sunglasses :)

ha ha. thanks. maybe I'll try the cleaner bbskip suggested. I've tried Windex and Glass Plus and even a plastic spatula. I swear it looks like something did indeed get sprayed on it but as I looked around the car and all the windows...they all have it. And, it seems to be inside the glass. The outside is smooth to the touch and feels very clean thanks to Windex and Glass Plus!

#8 OFFLINE   kyflex

kyflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

See my reply to flexibility. Tried Windex and Glass Plus and a spatula. I'll try your brand next! If that doesn't work, I guess it's back to the shop yet again. F.O.R.D. Still Fix Or Repair Daily? I hope not. I do like the car. Or rather, I like the potential of the car. I get stopped a lot by people (mostly mini-van-ers looking to buy their next car) who are surprised by its looks up close and the interior. The marketing campaign was so off the mark when they tried to go after 20-somethings using it as some sort of party vehicle that was the size of a bus. Anyway, hopefully someone at Ford reads these forums and they look into their quality problems. I did write to Ford and their answer was "we'll notify your dealership". Well, um, they already know. Call me simple but it seems if you make a better car, might be easier for the dealership to sell them.

#9 OFFLINE   flexibility

flexibility

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

ha ha. thanks. maybe I'll try the cleaner bbskip suggested. I've tried Windex and Glass Plus and even a plastic spatula. I swear it looks like something did indeed get sprayed on it but as I looked around the car and all the windows...they all have it. And, it seems to be inside the glass. The outside is smooth to the touch and feels very clean thanks to Windex and Glass Plus!

Actually I was pseudo serious. Sometimes the normally invisible laminates within safety glass become visible with polarized sunglasses. Try some non-polarized sun glasses.

The other thing I've seen in the past is as the previous poster mentioned airborne debris affixes itself to my glass. I work in an industrial area and depending on the wind I sometimes have lots of small spots visible on my windshield in sunlight but I can usually feel them if I run my hand across the glass. They don't come off with windex. It wears off over time unless I use a windshield buffing compound.

#10 OFFLINE   kyflex

kyflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

Tried everything. One car store suggested acetone, tried it. Another suggested "goof off" which is touted to remove everything. Didn't work. I still think it's the glass itself. Because inside and outside it is perfectly smooth to the touch. I also have to make yet another appt with the dealer as my front brakes are grinding and catching. I see on the forum that others had this issue too. Someone attached the TSB and I'll print that and take it in with me. Wondering if I made a very costly mistake by not getting the Toyota Highlander I almost bought. :(

#11 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:38 PM

Tried everything. One car store suggested acetone, tried it. Another suggested "goof off" which is touted to remove everything. Didn't work. I still think it's the glass itself. Because inside and outside it is perfectly smooth to the touch. I also have to make yet another appt with the dealer as my front brakes are grinding and catching. I see on the forum that others had this issue too. Someone attached the TSB and I'll print that and take it in with me. Wondering if I made a very costly mistake by not getting the Toyota Highlander I almost bought. :(

Sounds to me like you got a bad example.....

#12 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:28 PM

Did you try applying a cleaner and gently using a window sticker scraper or a single edge razor blade in a small test area? I know you said you tried a plastic spatula but a plastic blade won't catch anything really small.

What is strange is that you see it on all glass on the car. The windshield is usually a different type of glass than the side windows and is manufactured separately so it's highly unlikely all of the glass would be defective. Think about it, even the tint levels are different.

I just assumed that you checked other Flexes on the dealer lot on a sunny day but I should have asked. Did you and is your car the only one that is "sparkly"?

Let us know what the dealer says.

#13 OFFLINE   SeanD

SeanD

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

Use a claybar. Get the claybar that you use on your paint and the spray lube for it and go over the windshield with it. It will pull everything off of it. I have the same sparkling happening on my 2007 Mustang. I started using Adams glass cleaner and started having this issue. I will have to go back to Invisible Glass, as I did not have any issues when using it.

#14 OFFLINE   kyflex

kyflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

Well, it took several people and lots of angles to finally get someone to see the "sparkly" windshield. One guy at the dealership finally saw it :lol: Apparently it is "overspray" on the inside of the car from when they had to repaint the frame between the driver and driver-side passenger door. That's why the outside was smooth to the touch and very clean - what with all the cleaners I used - and also why many of the windows show the same sparkly view when hit with direct sunlight. (Can't really feel it inside either) They got it off, most of it anyway, with steel wool. My brake issue is partially fixed. Going back in to get the pads in a couple of days. They didn't have any and had to order them. I think the dealerships should all read this forum so they can be prepared with the parts needed to fix up the Flexes!

#15 OFFLINE   Sandy

Sandy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid 2016

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:05 AM

Hello:   I located and am responding to this post because my 2016 Ford C-Max Hybrid car ALSO HAS SPARKLY WINDSHIELD GLASS!.  So far, neither the dealership from who I purchased the vehicle or Ford Motor Co. has offered to do anything about it.  I get very intense headaches in harsh glare conditions, and driving into bright morning and late afternoon sun triggers these. Neurologists calls it : migraine-like syndrome. NO, polarized sunglasses do not help. This issue also creates more intense magnification of the intense LED lights at night as well.  I know your post is 7 years old, but I'm posting this just in case anyone else has had this problem.  I wish to have my windshield replaced with clear glass, devoid of dust, sparkles, bubbles, or whatever this is embedded inside the glass. It is not ON the glass, so is not removable. And, by the way, it is in every single pane of glass on this car. I hear that often if a problem with a car does not create a "health hazard," then it will not be addressed by FORD.  Driving this car into headlights or sunlight is a health hazard to me. Does anyone know how to get FORD or a dealership to  help me?

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·