Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Water problem?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   markg26

markg26

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:34 AM

I've noticed that, after driving in a heavy rain, water will collect in the bottom of the doors of my Flex. The water pours out when the door is opened. Will this be a problem in winter? Will the doors freeze shut?

#2 OFFLINE   jackflash

jackflash

Flex-a-holic

• Ford Flex Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:29 AM

I've noticed that, after driving in a heavy rain, water will collect in the bottom of the doors of my Flex. The water pours out when the door is opened. Will this be a problem in winter? Will the doors freeze shut?

How about massive corrosion?

#3 OFFLINE   ontflex

ontflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

i have not noticed that BUT i have had water in the spare tire well more then one time iwas just at the dealer today to get it looked at but they must have a outside company look into water problems i would like to here if anyone has had the same problem

#4 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:35 PM

i have not noticed that BUT i have had water in the spare tire well more then one time iwas just at the dealer today to get it looked at but they must have a outside company look into water problems i would like to here if anyone has had the same problem

Just curious, does the problem occur only after it rains of if you drive on a wet roadway?

#5 OFFLINE   Mtech

Mtech

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

The doors won't freeze shut, the bottom lip of the 'wrap-in' door fits into on the rubber gasket on body. This gasket is perforated all along the bottom, so water will drain out. The doors have a pretty substantial abrasion coating on the outside, I suspect the metal is galvanized to prevent rusting, but time will tell. I plan on spraying some "rust check" rust inhibitor on the door lip ~ just to be on the safe side :rolleyes:

#6 OFFLINE   hlevy535

hlevy535

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:59 AM

I have the same problem....when you open the door after a rainstorm, it seems that the water runs down the sides and spashes on the bottom. The dealer said that there is no fix. Explorers have the same problem

#7 OFFLINE   stressed

stressed

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:14 PM

Just curious, does the problem occur only after it rains of if you drive on a wet roadway?

I have the same problem with water collecting in the spare tire well. But in my case the water is entering through the roof some how, and running down the inside of the interior rear panels on both sides. I have had it to the dealer, but so far cannot find where the leak is.

#8 OFFLINE   bigblue2

bigblue2

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Flex

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:17 AM

I have the same problem with water collecting in the spare tire well. I just bought this 09 Ford Flex Limited under the Certified Vehicle plan. It has been in the shop more then in my drive.Front valence was missing, door handle didn't match the other three(three chrome and one blue) video players worked intermittently and rear brakes drag. It's in the body shop again
today for the same water leak . The water appears on the right rear pillar where the two panel join below the speaker. I have tried to duplicate the leak with a garden hose with no luck. Are there any pictures of the underside of the roof with the headliner out? This Flex is the Vista version .

#9 OFFLINE   bigblue2

bigblue2

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

My Flex goes back in Monday for water collecting in spare tire well . Dealer gave me the car back thursday and said they couldn't duplicate leak but to bring it in Monday so they could devote more time to it and drop the headliner. Said they may have it a week. It rained again friday night and the flex was outside. I checked it saturday morning and guess what . You guessed it,
water in the spare tire well. The water drips from between two trim panels below the right rear speaker in the right rear pillar. After i dried everything out i opened the sunroof and poured a little water in the water catch tray and the water came leaking out from the right rear pillar again. I later found a diagram of the routing of the drain hoses and one runs back to the right rear pillar. No water comes out from under the car , it all comes out from those two panels and into the spare tire well. I would say the tray and hose are doing there job until it gets back to the right rear pillar. Can't wait to show the dealer monday and maybe they won't have to drop the whole headliner which may open another bucket of worms. The Flex is a pre-owned
certified car. The dealer has been very good at providing me with a loner car each time i bring it in.
I took the flex in monday morn for the rain leak and got a call thurs. They had dropped down the headliner and cleaned and resealed the sunroof drain tray, adjusted sunroof glass and saw some water under the headliner and thought that possibly the water had come out of the tray and followed the outside of the hose to the right rear pillar. It is important to note, for water to run to the back of the tray the vehicle must be parked at an incline and thats the way my flex sits in my drive at home. They couldn't get it to leak and called me in.
I noticed when i got there that the sunroof glass looked a little high on the right rear side. The tech said he could readjust that. I tried the sunroof and it failed to move. I returned the next day and the tech had reattached the sunroofs electrical connector and said everything works and they couldn't duplicate water leak. I took it home thinking that maybe it was really fixed but the next time it rained it leaks now in a different area and is saturating my headliner. I made another appointment but could not get in right away. Dealer said he would call when they had a opening.

Edited by bigblue2, 12 July 2011 - 09:20 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   robibb

robibb

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex SEL,Steel Blue Metallic Paint, Medium Light Stone Leather

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:24 AM

Is this with all Flex's or only with the ones with the Vista roof? I live in Washington and it rains like 11 months out of the year here, so I have not noticed any leak yet. Love the Vista roof though.

#11 OFFLINE   StephenieBrandon-Koons

StephenieBrandon-Koons

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

I have a 2011 with only 5200 miles. I have had it in the shop once already @ 4300 miles for a leak. The morning after our last heavy rain, I got in car to take kids to school and noticed my dash, Nav system, radio, gear shift, OK point made the entire front dash board area was soaked. I noticed out of the corner of my eye a drop come from the center light fixture. When i reach up there the headliner was drenched. I called Ford made an appt for the next day. After having my car for 5 hours I was informed that they could find no leak, even after doing what they called a water test, however, there were leaves and dirt build up inside the sunroof and that these had clogged the drain. I highly doubt this is the cause because I had only had the sunroof open 4 times prior to this conversation, I informed them of this as well as informed them there were no trees anywhere near my car for leaves to get into it. I was told I most likely picked these up driving down the road with sunroof open, or that I left it open while shopping, etc.

I became upset, however stayed calm. I know and knew for a fact that the sunroof had only been open 4 times and that there were no leaves that were dropping inside. After they kept my car for another 3 hours they informed me that they decided to look inside the light panel where I had already said I saw the leak coming from. When the tech opened this up, he found that the little cup holding the lights, cords, etc was full of water. They informed me I could take the rental car home for weekend and my car would be ready Monday. On Monday the service tech came out and without calling me a liar, called me a liar! He told me and my husband that it was full of leaves and dirt and the drain tubes were clogged. We left the dealership still confused and my question was at 4300 miles if the tube was so small and clogged so easy what would it do at 10000 or 40000? Only received shrugs.. I received back my car with no answers, a water stained headliner, and nasty grease fingerprints all over my liner.

Today after another nice heavy rain, my children and I got into the car to find... You guessed it, WATER everywhere.. and I have NOT opened that darn sunroof at all... UGH

#12 OFFLINE   bigblue2

bigblue2

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

I have a 2011 with only 5200 miles. I have had it in the shop once already @ 4300 miles for a leak. The morning after our last heavy rain, I got in car to take kids to school and noticed my dash, Nav system, radio, gear shift, OK point made the entire front dash board area was soaked. I noticed out of the corner of my eye a drop come from the center light fixture. When i reach up there the headliner was drenched. I called Ford made an appt for the next day. After having my car for 5 hours I was informed that they could find no leak, even after doing what they called a water test, however, there were leaves and dirt build up inside the sunroof and that these had clogged the drain. I highly doubt this is the cause because I had only had the sunroof open 4 times prior to this conversation, I informed them of this as well as informed them there were no trees anywhere near my car for leaves to get into it. I was told I most likely picked these up driving down the road with sunroof open, or that I left it open while shopping, etc.

I became upset, however stayed calm. I know and knew for a fact that the sunroof had only been open 4 times and that there were no leaves that were dropping inside. After they kept my car for another 3 hours they informed me that they decided to look inside the light panel where I had already said I saw the leak coming from. When the tech opened this up, he found that the little cup holding the lights, cords, etc was full of water. They informed me I could take the rental car home for weekend and my car would be ready Monday. On Monday the service tech came out and without calling me a liar, called me a liar! He told me and my husband that it was full of leaves and dirt and the drain tubes were clogged. We left the dealership still confused and my question was at 4300 miles if the tube was so small and clogged so easy what would it do at 10000 or 40000? Only received shrugs.. I received back my car with no answers, a water stained headliner, and nasty grease fingerprints all over my liner.

Today after another nice heavy rain, my children and I got into the car to find... You guessed it, WATER everywhere.. and I have NOT opened that darn sunroof at all... UGH

I remember reading about a rain leak just like yours . The leak was corrected by removing the windshield and resealing it. Hope this helps......BIGBLUE2

#13 OFFLINE   Notgrownup

Notgrownup

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 56 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex SE

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:12 AM

Best way to find the leak is to spray talcum powder where you suspect the leak to be and trace it that way...you will see water traces in the powder....i tried this in an older car i was having a problem with after a Old body shop guy told me about the trick and it worked....If your dealer says they can't do anything about it then your dealer ain't worth a crap so run from them and find a competent dealer. there are some out there...Plus if your car is under warranty make sure this is documented.

#14 OFFLINE   Robert Parks

Robert Parks

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Has there been a recall for issue, i a have 2009 and after a heavy rain the front passager floor board flooded.

#15 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

Has there been a recall for issue, i a have 2009 and after a heavy rain the front passager floor board flooded.

Hi Robert,

Have you been to your dealer to have this looked into? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

• robertlane likes this

#16 OFFLINE   Gary Odren

Gary Odren

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FLEX

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

i have removed water from passenger floor boards several times after a hard rain.  Problem started this summer.  Any suggestions??

#17 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

i have removed water from passenger floor boards several times after a hard rain.  Problem started this summer.  Any suggestions??

Hi there,

Have you been to your dealer for a diagnosis? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·