Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Speedometer

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:02 PM

I was looking at the Flex speedometer. It's analog and appears to be graded in 10 MPH/KPH increments. In a vehicle like this I'm surprised and disapppointed that it's not digital. Also the minimum increment should be at least 5 MPH/KPH.

#2 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:08 PM

I was looking at the Flex speedometer. It's analog and appears to be graded in 10 MPH/KPH increments. In a vehicle like this I'm surprised and disapppointed that it's not digital. Also the minimum increment should be at least 5 MPH/KPH.

Digital as in like a digital clock? I'm not quite understanding what you mean by that.

And the speedo is divided into 5 MPH increments, it's just that they're only marked by numbers every 20 mph.

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:34 PM

Digital as in like a digital clock? I'm not quite understanding what you mean by that.

And the speedo is divided into 5 MPH increments, it's just that they're only marked by numbers every 20 mph.

Posted Image

Yes, digital readout, like the MPG readout in the photo. I have it in my 2000 Crown Vic and find it easier to read. We have it in one of our Civic Hybrids at work. It's way up front where the windshield meets the dash. Very easy to notice when you are exceeding the speed limit.

Yes, I see the 5 MPH increments now but wow, can they spare the paint ? Every 20 MPH, not even every 10? And the speedo looks kind of small.

I have to admit as I have progressed beyond just middle age and your eyes change these things do matter especially at night. And again, I'm really surprised that in a vehicle like this with all the electronics that the speedometer is not digital readout.

#4 OFFLINE   TweenerLJ

TweenerLJ

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:12 AM

I agree with bbskip on the speedometer graduations being too sparse and it being small. One of my few complaints about the vehicle.

#5 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:10 AM

I agree with bbskip on the speedometer graduations being too sparse and it being small. One of my few complaints about the vehicle.

High praise indeed for the Flex when we start bitchin' about the speedo.... such a little thing... and I'm fine with it.....

#6 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:16 AM

High praise indeed for the Flex when we start bitchin' about the speedo.... such a little thing... and I'm fine with it.....

Good for you but others disagree. And design and placement of vehicle instrumentation is an important part of operating a vehicle safely. I don't consider it a "little thing."

Also, it's a discussion board. People are going to say both positive and negative things about the Flex. That's the purpose of a forum- to talk about things. Even if it's not in violation of the forum terms of service or rules that kind of language is inappropriate in a public forum even if only because it's not conducive to friendly discussion.

#7 OFFLINE   trenn

trenn

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

i think putting them every 10 would look jumbled unless they made the numbers smaller. im not a fan of a digital reading but dont care one way or another.

#8 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

Good for you but others disagree. And design and placement of vehicle instrumentation is an important part of operating a vehicle safely. I don't consider it a "little thing."

Also, it's a discussion board. People are going to say both positive and negative things about the Flex. That's the purpose of a forum- to talk about things. Even if it's not in violation of the forum terms of service or rules that kind of language is inappropriate in a public forum even if only because it's not conducive to friendly discussion.

Oh my goodness (I'm sorry, that's a euphemism, I should restrain myself). My only point was that with regard to the instrumentation, I don't see a problem with it... that's MY opinion, and I think its good that we can (in my humble opinion) nitpick about it. It's also my opinion that you need to chill a bit. I'm fairly familiar with the desire and need for good "design and placement of vehicle instrumentation (as) an important part of operating a vehicle safely. In the case of the Flex I don't see a problem. By the way, in the past decade I've put over 500 people including many youth through a 2 day winter driving safety school which I started and helped to develop. This year I will travel hundreds of miles, spend my own money and time, to teach scores of young people to drive more safely in car control clinics. I have also taught safe high performance driving techniques to scores more of people over the last decade. What will you be doing this year to help save lives on the road? Then again, maybe I'm just another ******* with an opinion.

Up Mine,

#9 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

Oh my goodness (I'm sorry, that's a euphemism, I should restrain myself). My only point was that with regard to the instrumentation, I don't see a problem with it... that's MY opinion, and I think its good that we can (in my humble opinion) nitpick about it. It's also my opinion that you need to chill a bit. I'm fairly familiar with the desire and need for good "design and placement of vehicle instrumentation (as) an important part of operating a vehicle safely. In the case of the Flex I don't see a problem. By the way, in the past decade I've put over 500 people including many youth through a 2 day winter driving safety school which I started and helped to develop. This year I will travel hundreds of miles, spend my own money and time, to teach scores of young people to drive more safely in car control clinics. I have also taught safe high performance driving techniques to scores more of people over the last decade. What will you be doing this year to help save lives on the road? Then again, maybe I'm just another ******* with an opinion.

Up Mine,

I need to chill a bit? What's with the "*******", and the "Up Mine". There's no reason or need for that tone here. No, I think you're the one with the case of "forum rage" here, my friend.

You say it's good to "nitpick." I nitpicked the speedometer and you didn't just counter with your opinion (which is fine) but you complained that I did and, again, using language that is inappropriate here.

The rest of it I'm not going to comment on. My thoughts on it have nothing to do with this board.

#10 OFFLINE   NHCarsFan

NHCarsFan

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

Ok boys back to your corners.... i believe Q was simply saying the vehicle is great if we can only find fault with the ticks on the speedo ..i think maybe you might have overreacted ..All friends here right ...for the love of the Flex?

#11 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

my friend.

Ooops, I'm not your friend. I'm all done with this.

#12 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:52 PM

i believe Q was simply saying the vehicle is great if we can only find fault with the ticks on the speedo ..i think maybe you might have overreacted ..

That would correct, thank you.

#13 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:53 PM

All friends here right ...for the love of the Flex?

No problem. I'm good with that.

#14 OFFLINE   Bucket

Bucket

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

I like the speedo as is. It is very easy to read at a glance and looks classy. To me, digital speedo's are cheap and "gimmicky".

Buck

#15 OFFLINE   roush3

roush3

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

I like the speedo as is. It is very easy to read at a glance and looks classy. To me, digital speedo's are cheap and "gimmicky".

Buck

i agree Digital just do look nice to me. An "analog" style readout just looks fancier and nicer over all.

#16 OFFLINE   drglnc

drglnc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

i agree Digital just do look nice to me. An "analog" style readout just looks fancier and nicer over all.

I was also disapointed with the lack of a digital speedo... being that all of the other digi redouts, temps ect can convert from imperial to metric having a digi speedo to do the same would be nice... Think the MPG is small? try living in germany... i got my flex delivered last week and realised the Kilometers markings are ment for a matchbox car... i now rely on the speedo on my garmin since its bigger and easier to read.... but alas i still LOVE my flex! evin if it doesnt fit in a german garage!

#17 OFFLINE   Curly Rice

Curly Rice

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

After having an earlier Ford car with a Digital Speedo, I am glad that they went back to analog. If it was digital, the complaints would be flying. "Oh, It updates to infrequently" or " What a piece of junk, it changes so frequently, I can't tell how fast I am going". Nothing like a changing display in the dash to attract your eye at night and be distracting
The best part was, we could tell how fast we were backing up,

#18 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:38 PM

After having an earlier Ford car with a Digital Speedo, I am glad that they went back to analog. If it was digital, the complaints would be flying. "Oh, It updates to infrequently" or " What a piece of junk, it changes so frequently, I can't tell how fast I am going". Nothing like a changing display in the dash to attract your eye at night and be distracting
The best part was, we could tell how fast we were backing up,

I have a digital speedo in my Crown Vic and it's far easier to read, day or night, than the relatively small speedo in the Flex that is only marked (with digits) every 20 MPH! Most limits in my area are at the fives- 25-35-55-65. The speedo in the Flex is moved off center to accommodate a tachometer in an automatic transmission car. How often is a tach needed while driving an Interstate as compared to the speedometer. You don't get tickets for overreving your engine.

As for the digital speedo changing while you're moving- so does an analog and it's harder to read especially marked the way the Flex's is marked:
0 - small line - big line - small line - big line - small line - 20 - small line - big line - small line etc.
as opposed to a simple: 0 - 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 -25 or exact readout in a digital readout.

And what is so hard to about telling how fast you're going in relation to say 55 MPH because your digital speedo is reading- 55-56-55-54-53. The digital speedo readout in my Crown Vic never floats like that as long as I keep a uniform pressure on the gas pedal. My guess is they're engineered to compensate for any float in readout due to slight variations in speed which is normal.

But to each their own. Let's not argue about it. Instead let's discuss the point of the analog clock in the Limited with Nav. First, you have this big modern digital screen with an old fashioned analog clock. Then (those with Nav correct me if I'm wrong) isn't there a digital clock in the Nav screen anyway? I'll stay out of this one as I only have the SEL.

#19 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

let's discuss the point of the analog clock in the Limited with Nav.

Let's not ;-) You really get revved about this subject eh?

#20 OFFLINE   bbskip

bbskip

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

Let's not ;-) You really get revved about this subject eh?

Revved? Now that you mention it- can we all agree that an analog tach is preferable to a digital one? :rolleyes:

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·