Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Wheel Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Shepski

Shepski

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:46 AM

Hi,

Just wondering what people are using to clean the 19" Limited chrome wheels. Are these wheels clear coated or not?

Thanks!

#2 OFFLINE   QSHIPWAGON

QSHIPWAGON

FLEXible Flyer

• Ford Flex Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hi,

Just wondering what people are using to clean the 19" Limited chrome wheels. Are these wheels clear coated or not?

Thanks!

I've been using full strength "Simple Green" on ALL kinds of wheels for many years with a soft kitchen sponge... very gentle on any finish (you can practially drink the stuff) as opposed to many cleaners and works as well as PS21... however, if you hate having extra cash lying around, use PS21.

http://www.superiorc...CFRabnAod4zI49g

#3 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:39 PM

Hi,

Thanks!

IIRC, they're polished aluminum, not chrome......at any rate, I know they're not chrome.

I just use whatever car wash soap stuff I have.....don't know the name off hand.

#4 OFFLINE   Shepski

Shepski

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

IIRC, they're polished aluminum, not chrome......at any rate, I know they're not chrome.

I just use whatever car wash soap stuff I have.....don't know the name off hand.

Thanks guys!

I found in the manual that the wheels are clear coated. I think I'll try the Meguiar's Hot Wheels all wheel cleaner.

Cheers!

#5 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

Thanks guys!

I found in the manual that the wheels are clear coated. I think I'll try the Meguiar's Hot Wheels all wheel cleaner.

Cheers!

Ah, I see.....let us know how it works!

#6 OFFLINE   rfordflex

rfordflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:08 AM

I have used both Maguire's Hot Wheels all wheel cleaner, and Simple Green on all my cars when needed. But, Maguire's car wash for the most part does the trick for me. I generally do not let my cars get that dirty, plus I wax the entire rim, even if it means taking it of the vehicle. If you have the time to wax the rims the dirt will come off easier than normal. That's just my .02 cents

#7 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

I have used both Maguire's Hot Wheels all wheel cleaner, and Simple Green on all my cars when needed. But, Maguire's car wash for the most part does the trick for me. I generally do not let my cars get that dirty, plus I wax the entire rim, even if it means taking it of the vehicle. If you have the time to wax the rims the dirt will come off easier than normal. That's just my .02 cents

You know, I've thought about removing the wheels to clean the part which you can't reach behind the spokes......never have done it though.

#8 OFFLINE   Nickshu

Nickshu

Shu-Box

• Ford Flex Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:14 AM

I usually use Meguiars car wash soap and clean them by hand. I wax my wheels twice a year...this keeps dirt (and more importantly TAR) from sticking to the wheels. On the tires I use Tire Foam, then apply Maguars Hot Wheels tire wet (be careful not to get this on your garage floor...SLIPPERY!!), I apply with a sponge.

#9 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:22 AM

I usually use Meguiars car wash soap and clean them by hand. I wax my wheels twice a year...this keeps dirt (and more importantly TAR) from sticking to the wheels. On the tires I use Tire Foam, then apply Maguars Hot Wheels tire wet (be careful not to get this on your garage floor...SLIPPERY!!), I apply with a sponge.

That's what I do.....except I don't think my car wash soap is Meguiars (it may be though...). I think I may have waxed the wheels last time I waxed the car, but I can't remember for sure. My aunt and uncle got me some tire shine (and a chamois) for Christmas (got the car in late November).....I'm not sure the exact name of it (do I have a bad memory or what?), but it works pretty well and has a built in sponge/applier. The tires retain that "wet" look that I like for a couple days before they finally lose their shimmer. I'm out of it now, so I'll have to get more for the next wash. I'll go get the name of it and post it here tomorrow.

#10 OFFLINE   Shepski

Shepski

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:13 PM

I finally gave the red machine a good washing and used the Meguiar's "Hot Wheels" all wheel cleaner which did a great job. There sure was a lot of brake residue on the rear wheels.

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:48 AM

I finally gave the red machine a good washing and used the Meguiar's "Hot Wheels" all wheel cleaner which did a great job. There sure was a lot of brake residue on the rear wheels.

Posted Image

Looks great!!

#12 OFFLINE   Neuspeed

Neuspeed

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

Simple Green and P21S are both effective. I removed and waxed the back of the wheels at delivery. Makes is much easier to hose out any brake dust with minimal cleaning solvents. Different topic, but I was told to watch out for spray on tire blackening with 19" Limited Wheels (ex. "No Touch" or Armor All Tire Foam). Cadillac uses the same type wheel on the CTS and have had a large number of warranty claims with discoloration, etc. associated with tire foam detailing products.

Edited by Neuspeed, 29 July 2009 - 04:25 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   RSNovi

RSNovi

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

Posted Image

My rear wheels also always have much more brake dust than the front.

#14 OFFLINE   Grey Flexer

Grey Flexer

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

Anybody tried that new product for wheels by Eagle One called Keep Clean? The claim is that it will not allow anything to stick to the wheel for 2 weeks. Saw a great info-mercial on it last week where after a wheel was treated with the stuff it repelled everything they dumped on the wheel, even honey. Thought I might pick up a bottle the next time I'm out. Anything that can help keep the back wheels clean would be great.

#15 OFFLINE   FEDup

FEDup

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:12 AM

I've been using full strength "Simple Green" on ALL kinds of wheels for many years with a soft kitchen sponge... very gentle on any finish (you can practially drink the stuff) as opposed to many cleaners and works as well as PS21... however, if you hate having extra cash lying around, use PS21.

http://www.superiorc...CFRabnAod4zI49g

X2 on the simple green. Also is great for under the hood. Spray on, hose off.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·