Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Faux carbon fiber rear decklid panel FOR SALE

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   there4igraham

there4igraham

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:03 AM

All reviews so far are really tremendous, heads and shoulders above the Mustang and Challenger.

But then again, let me develop a product without having to concern myself with trivialities like having to work within my business' resources, give me a $14B tailwind and THEN tell me I won't ever have to pay it back, and I can pretty-much guarantee you I'd produce the hottest muscle car Amercia's seen in 30 years. (I'll even toss in the successor to the 787 to boot).

It's not so much that Chevy's designs still look more like caricatures than form-follows-function elegance; I just can't bring myself to buy any vehicle from a company to whom I have personally (and against my will) been forced to pay almost as much as the dealer who happened to sell me an actual car made in profit.

Indeed they have been. I still expect more from them and that doesn't count the out of the gate recall that put a bunch of these on flatbed trucks.

Here's what doesn't sit as well with me regarding the Camaro. I'm aware that it's a purpose built machine. That purpose is to give Chevy fans something faster than a Mustang to drive around in. The numbers don't lie either. The Camaro has way more power and a better drive train than the Mustang and thanks to that awesome power the Camaro... goes a little bit faster. The Mustang has always managed to keep up with less power and technology while at the same time costing less. To me success isn't measured in inches and seconds it's measured in miles and minutes. Which brings me to my point. For all that firepower and engineering I feel that it's not that much better (if at all) than the Mustang. It's a well known fact that the Mustang can out handle the Camaro (with the track pack of course) and will always be at its bumper. The way I see it the Mustang and the Camaro just arrived at a party within seconds of each other or to be more specific 10ths of a second. The Camaro walked through the door first but they both pretty much got there at the same time.

All that leaves us with are the looks since the Mustang's power deficit isn't much of a deficit. I like the latest Mustang. I also like the Camaro and am very pleased that it looks nothing like the abominations from the 80's and 90's. Still if I was given a choice between the two I'd take the Mustang.

#22 OFFLINE   madlock

madlock

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

How ironic was it that the first Camaro I happened to see was being towed?

Where the Mustang has always lagged has been the rear axle, and that's where the Camaro got much of it's drive dynamics right. Otherwise, I agree; the performance delta is splitting hairs on a bald person.

That said, I reiterate my earlier sentiment about the Camaro's looks. It looks bold, sharp, aggressive, very much like a Camaro, and also very much like a shiny plastic car on the toy store shelf. It's a caricature of a sports car more than anything else. And while I certainly don't have anything against a date wearing makeup, I don't want her to look like streetwalker or Bozo the clown, either.

On the other hand, the Mustang has avoided the spinning bow ties and other frivolity without abandoning its visual DNA. Function may not entirely follow form, but it's not a distracting, totally detached substitute either. The Mustang doesn't need to convince anyone that it must BE fast, just because of how fast it looks; and to me, that authenticity makes all the difference.

Another important point is, despite reports that the Camaro is well-executed, being a GM vehicle, the interior is going to be flash over substance again, and the plasticky GM feel is inescapable. The instrumentation design is so ludicrously over-the-top, with no apparent purpose, that just turns me off entirely. I much prefer the conservative Mustang interior, whose fit, finish, and purpose define its quality.

At the end of the day, though I'd enjoy mercilessly thrashing a new Camaro around a track, not only would I prefer to own a Mustang, but I would refuse to choose the Camaro simply because of the circumstances surrounding the respective makers at the time. While Ford "got real", and every vehicle is a product of maximizing/leveraging every resource they had, GM built the Camaro on the Play-Dough of the American taxpayer, without whom it never would have come to market. And when there are two directly-competitive vehicles, especially those whose purpose is entirely entertainment, I simply refuse to reward GM for their behavior, no matter how excellent a car the Camaro may be. At the same time, I would refuse to NOT support Ford who isn't getting daily free money and every debt forgiven.

I really look forward to the 2011 Mustang, after Ford has had a chance to get a little financial breathing room and the chance to leapfrog the 2010 Camaro platform now that it's officially here. THAT will be the car to own.

#23 OFFLINE   there4igraham

there4igraham

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:37 PM

No doubt about it the Camaro is rad. I do agree about it being a caricature of itself. I know GM was trying to go more modern than retro but the shape is anything but organic but as I've come to learn that's what Camaro owners want and expect. I think they could have done better with cleaner flanks like the admittedly blank Challenger. The Mustang pulled off the classic shapes without looking like a cop out design. Again, I'm biased towards the new Mustang interior which is so much better than the last Mustang's interior. Lots of black plastic in the Camaro and the Challenger. They really only got the steering wheel right though I probably think that because I'm sick of seing every GM vehicle with the same steering wheel.

#24 OFFLINE   jgira12

jgira12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

Payment made!!

Thanks again, Jerry!!!

Scott, you should have seen the look on my mailgirl's face when I handed it to her Saturday morning. Package is almost 5 feet long! LOL. I would think you will get it mid week with the holiday schedule. Have a great weekend. Oh, what's up with these guys hijacking my thread???

Jerry

Edited by jgira12, 24 May 2009 - 08:16 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   madlock

madlock

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

Scott, you should have seen the look on my mailgirl's face when I handed it to her Saturday morning. Package is almost 5 feet long! LOL. I would think you will get it mid week with the holiday schedule. Have a great weekend. Oh, what's up with these guys hijacking my thread???

Sorry. We're Somalis. Just can't seem to help ourselves.

#26 OFFLINE   jgira12

jgira12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:11 AM

Sorry. We're Somalis. Just can't seem to help ourselves.

Somalis! :hysterical: I like that one!

#27 OFFLINE   ScottL

ScottL

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

Jerry

It arrived today Jerry!!!

I am going to work on getting the emblems off tomorrow, then wash it and put a fresh coat of wax on the back before I install it....then I'll take a couple of pictures!!!

Getting the 3M clearbra installed on Thursday morning, too!!!

Thanks,

Scott

#28 OFFLINE   jgira12

jgira12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:21 PM

It arrived today Jerry!!!

I am going to work on getting the emblems off tomorrow, then wash it and put a fresh coat of wax on the back before I install it....then I'll take a couple of pictures!!!

Getting the 3M clearbra installed on Thursday morning, too!!!

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, thats great...glad you like it. Just in case you remove the emblems yourself there is a simple method. Use 30 lb fishing line and rock it back and forth behind the letters. Do it in the sun...heat softens the adhesive and speeds up the process. Buy some 3M adhesive remover, spray it on to rub off the sticky residue....piece of cake. To reuse emblems/letters buy some 3M (yup, those guys thought of everything) molding tape. It is double sided and sticks like crazy...it is what is on the back of the carbon fiber piece. Pics when you are done please! :happy feet: oh, wax may not be a good idea where the tape will mate to the backside...will reduce adhesion.

#29 OFFLINE   kermit

kermit

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

what happened to the piks ??????

#30 OFFLINE   drglnc

drglnc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:03 AM

yea, id love to see some pics of this aswell, thanks!

#31 OFFLINE   subiesky

subiesky

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

i wonder if there are any other places that sells it or can sutom make it? I think it would look great on my FLEX

#32 OFFLINE   kermit

kermit

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

what happened to this , what hapened to the piks and where did it come from???

#33 OFFLINE   lordfeyr

lordfeyr

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 20 posts
  • Current Vehicle:06 f150 fx4

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

Dang thats ce!!! I know its an old thread but did anyone ever figure out who made this and if there are more?ni

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·