Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

New owner with potential brake problem

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RustedBrit

RustedBrit

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

Picked up an 09 Flex on friday!! . It's an SE Black/light stone. Everything's cool except the steering wheel shakes when braking... Does this sound normal? Will it go away? :blink:

#2 OFFLINE   DUCKRACER

DUCKRACER

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

Picked up an 09 Flex on friday!! . It's an SE Black/light stone. Everything's cool except the steering wheel shakes when braking... Does this sound normal? Will it go away? :blink:

Take it back to the dealer ASAP!!!

#3 OFFLINE   Nickshu

Nickshu

Shu-Box

• Ford Flex Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:13 AM

Mine was the same way. Dealer looked at it and said it was b/c things were new and tight. After about 250 miles it completely went away. Now at 2100 miles, has not been a problem since.

With any brake problem, I would get it checked by your dealer, don't assume your problem is the same as mine, may be something worse.

#4 OFFLINE   matslapper

matslapper

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:39 AM

Same here. Took it back on day 2 and the dealer turned the front rotors to remove the oxidation that apparently forms rather quickly here in high humidity PA.

#5 OFFLINE   RustedBrit

RustedBrit

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:09 AM

Going back to the dealer...DANG-IT!!

#6 OFFLINE   Nickshu

Nickshu

Shu-Box

• Ford Flex Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:09 AM

While it's there have them upgrade your SYNC to version 2.0 which includes automatic 911assist when airbags deploy and vehicle health checker (If it hasn't already been done).

Two birds, one stone..... :dance:

#7 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:54 AM

Don't do it...yet! I would give it some time, it's likely just some rust from sitting on the lot for a while. The best thing you can do is go find a safe place and do a few 60mph-10mph stops in a row. Get the brakes really hot and they will "clean" themselves up.

Turning brand new rotors is really dumb, it's just inviting more problems down the road. If it hasn't gone away after a week though, then it could be something else.

#8 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

While it's there have them upgrade your SYNC to version 2.0 which includes automatic 911assist when airbags deploy and vehicle health checker (If it hasn't already been done).

Two birds, one stone..... :dance:

Yeah, I need to do that.....I'm also gonna look into that transmission update, since mine was built before that cutoff date for the upgrades whenever that was (~December maybe?).

Edited by rmc523, 26 April 2009 - 09:29 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   RustedBrit

RustedBrit

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:47 AM

I'll give it a few more miles...seems to be fading a bit since i've had it out&about.

I asked the dealer about having Sync 2.0 loaded before i picked up. They said 2.0 is only available for vehicles with Nav. I've got the 6cd system in the SE.

#10 OFFLINE   lambdapro

lambdapro

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

I have a 6CD SE also and my 911 Assist and Vehicle Health Report Sync version is 2. 1/23/2009.
I have Sync Status Checker 1.0 - 4/14/2009.

Go to Sync My Ride and create an account if you want to do it yourself.
David

#11 OFFLINE   RustedBrit

RustedBrit

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

I have a 6CD SE also and my 911 Assist and Vehicle Health Report Sync version is 2. 1/23/2009.
I have Sync Status Checker 1.0 - 4/14/2009.

Go to Sync My Ride and create an account if you want to do it yourself.
David

Great info Lamdapro! Looks like the self upgrade to v2.0 is a no-go. Requires a dealership visit. Which really burns my ass btw...the dealership told me my radio was not upgradable to this new version, and according to the Sync site it clearly IS! :banghead:

#12 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:42 PM

Great info Lamdapro! Looks like the self upgrade to v2.0 is a no-go. Requires a dealership visit. Which really burns my ass btw...the dealership told me my radio was not upgradable to this new version, and according to the Sync site it clearly IS! :banghead:

Yeah, the self upgrade can take you from 1.1 to 1.3, but not to 2.0. As you said, it needs a dealer visit, which I need to do.

That's strange that they told you they couldn't do it.

#13 OFFLINE   racerraj

racerraj

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

My Flex had the brake shake at first. Not sure how long it lasted, but it kept getting to be less of a problem. Then I took it out and made 5 Fully ON stops from 45mph in a row. Took it home and let it cool over night. No vibrations after that.

However, at a little over 5000 miles I noticed deep grooves in my Right Rear Rotor.

So I took it to the dealer, they replaced the pads, and I assume they only cut the rotors. Works fine though. Also had the transmission reprogrammed to get rid of the sometimes clunk when in low gears. Had the Snyc 2.0 done aas well. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet though.

Point was (lost track, my kids were talking to me) if you had the brake shake, check the rotors later before the 12,000 miles bumper to bumper is up. I don't think they cover "normal wear" afte that.

#14 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:31 AM

My Flex had the brake shake at first. Not sure how long it lasted, but it kept getting to be less of a problem. Then I took it out and made 5 Fully ON stops from 45mph in a row. Took it home and let it cool over night. No vibrations after that.

However, at a little over 5000 miles I noticed deep grooves in my Right Rear Rotor.

So I took it to the dealer, they replaced the pads, and I assume they only cut the rotors. Works fine though. Also had the transmission reprogrammed to get rid of the sometimes clunk when in low gears. Had the Snyc 2.0 done aas well. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet though.

Point was (lost track, my kids were talking to me) if you had the brake shake, check the rotors later before the 12,000 miles bumper to bumper is up. I don't think they cover "normal wear" afte that.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check that tomorrow, because I've felt the "brake shake" relatively recently (a few weeks ago).

#15 OFFLINE   madlock

madlock

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:49 AM

Same here. Took it back on day 2 and the dealer turned the front rotors to remove the oxidation that apparently forms rather quickly here in high humidity PA.

Wow. This sounds like a full-blown phenomenon. Count me "in" among those who have experienced the very same thing. It's identical to the kind of shudder that occurs when brakes need to be done and rotors need to be resurfaced. I never considered that "on lot" oxidation may have been the culprit; but I'll be danged if I didn't buy mine in PA too, and I suspect it was part of the inventory for a relatively long time.

I've already scheduled service for Monday to have SYNC 2.0 upgraded, address a problem with the aluminum Limited tailgate panel being poorly adhered, and have them diagnose why the seat memory frequently "loses" the setting for the driver's mirror (that one scares the hell out of me, as intermittent electronic malfunctions almost always take a huge investment in time to resolve (if it is EVER resolved).

#16 OFFLINE   madlock

madlock

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 01:53 AM

I'm right there with you, RB. I took delivery on Thursday, only to find that they hadn't upgraded SYNC to 2.0 despite it being available since March 2. Because I had to hunt down the model I wanted, I bought it from a dealer about 150 miles away, and unless I want to take it back to them, SYNC 2.0 is bound to cost me $50. It's not going to break the bank, but after ponying-up $40K, having to cough-up another $50 because of a dealer oversight really chaps my ass too.

#17 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:33 PM

Wow. This sounds like a full-blown phenomenon. Count me "in" among those who have experienced the very same thing. It's identical to the kind of shudder that occurs when brakes need to be done and rotors need to be resurfaced. I never considered that "on lot" oxidation may have been the culprit; but I'll be danged if I didn't buy mine in PA too, and I suspect it was part of the inventory for a relatively long time.

I've already scheduled service for Monday to have SYNC 2.0 upgraded, address a problem with the aluminum Limited tailgate panel being poorly adhered, and have them diagnose why the seat memory frequently "loses" the setting for the driver's mirror (that one scares the hell out of me, as intermittent electronic malfunctions almost always take a huge investment in time to resolve (if it is EVER resolved).

I don't think oxidation is the problem (although I suppose it could be, being delivered down here to south Florida).....mine was ordered, so it didn't really sit on any lot very long (presumably).

I'm right there with you, RB. I took delivery on Thursday, only to find that they hadn't upgraded SYNC to 2.0 despite it being available since March 2. Because I had to hunt down the model I wanted, I bought it from a dealer about 150 miles away, and unless I want to take it back to them, SYNC 2.0 is bound to cost me $50. It's not going to break the bank, but after ponying-up $40K, having to cough-up another $50 because of a dealer oversight really chaps my ass too.

Sorry to hear that.....that's kinda stupid to charge $50 for something that likely takes under 5 minutes (if that high a limit) to do.

#18 OFFLINE   Nickshu

Nickshu

Shu-Box

• Ford Flex Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:05 AM

I'm at 2100 miles now and the brake shimmy is now completely gone. :happy feet:

#19 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:51 PM

I'm at 2100 miles now and the brake shimmy is now completely gone. :happy feet:

I'm at 7300 and heard it a couple weeks ago.

#20 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

I'm at 7300 and heard it a couple weeks ago.

Hey, don't confuse the issues here. There's "shimmy" or brake vibration that causes the steering wheel to nibble, this does not produce any noise. Then there's the low speed groan vibration that you hear. These are two completely separate unrelated things.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·