Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Dechroming My Flex Ideas?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lambdapro

lambdapro

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:44 PM

I have a brilliant silver SE and like the monochromatic look. I decided to do a little customization on the outside first. I am getting the front grill painted brilliant silver with the exception of the Ford Blue Oval so that it matches the back. I am also getting the "FLEX" chrome lettering removed from the back.
That will leave the chrome lettering on the dash (should be easy to remove), the chrome door pulls and the chrome air vent pulls. Looking at the car, what I would like for those interior chrome pieces is to make them brushed aluminum like some of the other larger non-black parts of the interior. Does anyone know if this is doable?
David

#2 OFFLINE   TweenerLJ

TweenerLJ

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:16 AM

:lurk: I have the same color flex on order and would perfer no chrome as well.

#3 OFFLINE   lambdapro

lambdapro

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

Well, I have gotten started on this. The FLEX on the dash was easy to pull off with my thumbnail. Much improved on the look. On the back FLEX, I used the fishing line trick and "dental flossed" the letters off. I looped a little fishing line onto a pair of small branches and then flossed behind the letters. The adhesive padding easily came off with fingernails as well. I got some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet dried the front grille with the exception of the Ford Oval and its chrome outline. I am getting the front grille painted tomorrow. This will then match the rear on appearance.
I'll let you know how it works.

#4 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

Well, I have gotten started on this. The FLEX on the dash was easy to pull off with my thumbnail. Much improved on the look. On the back FLEX, I used the fishing line trick and "dental flossed" the letters off. I looped a little fishing line onto a pair of small branches and then flossed behind the letters. The adhesive padding easily came off with fingernails as well. I got some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and wet dried the front grille with the exception of the Ford Oval and its chrome outline. I am getting the front grille painted tomorrow. This will then match the rear on appearance.
I'll let you know how it works.

Would you mind posting pictures?

#5 OFFLINE   lambdapro

lambdapro

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

Will do.
I have thought more about the interior chrome door pulls and air condition duct controls. I may be able to make them black easier than the brushed satin. I think that the satin would be hard to match to the radio console look exactly, but the black would be much easier to match.
David

#6 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 11:35 PM

Will do.
I have thought more about the interior chrome door pulls and air condition duct controls. I may be able to make them black easier than the brushed satin. I think that the satin would be hard to match to the radio console look exactly, but the black would be much easier to match.
David

You don't think black pulls, etc would look "cheap?"

#7 OFFLINE   kiwee

kiwee

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:19 AM

spoke to the guys who do all of my body work.
they said you have to do a light sanding of the part, hit it with a fine mist of some special stuff (forget the name), then prime, then paint.

#8 OFFLINE   lambdapro

lambdapro

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

I may just dull it with the 600 grit to take off the shine. That might be enough.

#9 OFFLINE   Lunchbox

Lunchbox

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:23 AM

This sound very interesting "lamb." Please post some pics as I am a little excited to see your results.

#10 OFFLINE   webflex

webflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:40 AM

I have a brilliant silver SE and like the monochromatic look. I decided to do a little customization on the outside first. I am getting the front grill painted brilliant silver with the exception of the Ford Blue Oval so that it matches the back. I am also getting the "FLEX" chrome lettering removed from the back.
That will leave the chrome lettering on the dash (should be easy to remove), the chrome door pulls and the chrome air vent pulls. Looking at the car, what I would like for those interior chrome pieces is to make them brushed aluminum like some of the other larger non-black parts of the interior. Does anyone know if this is doable?
David

Why would you do that? You need MORE chrome to make it look best! Whay not go buy a hardware spray can and just spray over the chrome you've got if you want monochrome! Yech!

#11 OFFLINE   SeanD

SeanD

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

Any pictures? It's been awhile!

#12 OFFLINE   Biggie75

Biggie75

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for the info. I've been looking into getting a Flex and thought about this same exact thing. Every vehicle I buy the first thing I do is remove the emblems/model/displacement/name....whatever is on it.

#13 OFFLINE   Michael Tuccillo

Michael Tuccillo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 01:45 PM

Pics please!!!!!!!!

#14 OFFLINE   kermit

kermit

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:22 PM

yeah you spray it wiht bulldog spray so it will stick !

#15 OFFLINE   Lunchbox

Lunchbox

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

Its been a while.... Any pics of the finished product?

#16 OFFLINE   LPMOREE

LPMOREE

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:25 AM

Check out the 2011 ford flex titanium {no chrome} if you need any parts i am the parts manager at tidelands ford in pawleys island sc. I have a black 2009 with the limited wheels, i am doing the titanium kit on mine now. with any questions call 843-237-3673 ext 226 ask for patrick

Attached Files

Edited by LPMOREE, 21 August 2010 - 08:36 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   dslag6

dslag6

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

Check out the 2011 ford flex titanium {no chrome} if you need any parts i am the parts manager at tidelands ford in pawleys island sc. I have a black 2009 with the limited wheels, i am doing the titanium kit on mine now. with any questions call 843-237-3673 ext 226 ask for patrick

Hello Patrick. I really like the F L E X lettering they did on the hood. Do you know if they are available from ford? If so can I have the part # and price?

#18 OFFLINE   Bjoeboo

Bjoeboo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:17 PM

Me too please. I would like to do the Titanium mod on my 2010 Flex Limited. Not a big fan of chrome. Really like the understated Titanium. Also I like the way it barely stands out / contrasts against my tuxedo black in some online picks I've seen. I'm not big on bling.

#19 OFFLINE   joedaveire

joedaveire

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:19 PM

How much does the Titanium grill run for?

#20 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 20 December 2010 - 08:13 AM

Here is the Titanium grille on my SE

Posted Image

I got it for $75.00 for the 3 pieces.

Edited by mmsstar, 24 December 2010 - 06:02 PM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·