Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Adding an aftermarket radio!!!!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   millardjlon

millardjlon

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hello to all,

I am writing you to tell all of you that there is a way to install an aftermarket head unit (the JVC KW-NX7000 Navigation with a drop down video screen for my little one with Sirius, and a back up camera) is what I am installing.

First, I too was waiting for a Dash kit fro Metra or Scosche to add the unit. I had called today both companies (04/21/09) to see when they will be available and I was informed that they will not be released unit June. Me being the impatient person that I am I decided to tear apart my dash and take a look. Now I am not a person who gets discouraged easily, but when I saw the radio and A/C unit was one piece, I said to myself, they have to be separate units, and in fact they were. They do however share the same knob face. Pictures to follow what I have done.

So I totally dismantled the unit, separated the radio from the A/C unit, after I did that I checked to see it would work alone without the radio, and it WORKED! So then I pulled out my dremel and proceeded to cut the knob faceplate and then the metal plate in half. Then I put the unit back together and then once again, checked to see if it worked and guess what it WORKED!

Then I continued to remove the cd player and looked at what I had to work with for space, please note, I will be cutting the dash to fit the double din radio using the face place that came along with the radio to fit into the hole I just cut. I realize that the Metra and Scocshe kit uses the dash kit to hold the unit, I will do that but I will also find a way to reinforce the unit from bouncing. I did also notice that the face plate is curved and I will figure that out as well.

I then cut the plastic and metal gusset that resides behind the original unit so my navigation unit will fit. This is the first post and as I move on I will post directions and pics.

Mylardass

Attached Files

#2 OFFLINE   bonefizz

bonefizz

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 09:02 PM

Your a brave man! I admire your curious spirit and mad skills with the dremel.

#3 OFFLINE   kiwee

kiwee

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:06 AM

SICK!
good on you man. that is some good savings and quite the payoff.
as stated by bonefizz, i admire your bravery.
i want to see completed pics.

Edited by kiwee, 22 April 2009 - 03:07 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   dkjohn

dkjohn

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:23 PM

SICK!
good on you man. that is some good savings and quite the payoff.
as stated by bonefizz, i admire your bravery.
i want to see completed pics.

Good for you mine is staying the way Ford built it but way to go.

#5 OFFLINE   ScottL

ScottL

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:33 AM

Good for you mine is staying the way Ford built it but way to go.

Mine, too!!!!

That being said, it takes a large set of balls to go cutting into a $30K+ ride!!!!

Much respect!!

#6 OFFLINE   there4igraham

there4igraham

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

Somebody has a brass pair. Good on you. My wife would kill me if I started cutting up ours.

#7 OFFLINE   NHCarsFan

NHCarsFan

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

Somebody has a brass pair. Good on you. My wife would kill me if I started cutting up ours.

amen to that brother! :happy feet:

Edited by NHCarsFan, 14 May 2009 - 11:36 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   millardjlon

millardjlon

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

Hello again,

Well here ya go, I am completely done. I added a Metra Axxess AFSI-01 to keep the sync and it works great. The only issue I really found was keeping the head unit stable which I was able to do by using some plastic shims I made the unit is strong and stable. I first cut the dash face using a dremel and then proceeded to fit a Chevy Aveo double din dash kit into the hole I had cut. I had taken pictures but I cannot seem to find them, which I could have shown you what I done with the dash, raw pictures always work better. After I fit the chevy kit, I hen took some shim I had made, and placed them in between the metal brackets and dash to make it a real tight fit, After that I placed the unit in the car and it fit perfect. After that was done I was finished. I installed everything else prior to the head unit arriving. My wife who drives the car has no complains other that she doesn't know how to use the sync system.

FYI I tried to install the steering controls module and it would not work so I scrapped that from the project.

Millardjlon

Attached Files

#9 OFFLINE   bonefizz

bonefizz

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

Congratulations! Looks good!

#10 OFFLINE   Ozmosis

Ozmosis

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

Really nice job, millardjlon! I'd like to see an update on this project if you have one.

If anyone's interested, I have an extra stereo/climate control trim plate (like the one seen in millardjlon's pictures, cut out for the head unit). It had a small scratch in it, so I had it replaced.
Being an ex- car audio guy, I knew the usefulness of having a spare trim versus cutting the only existing piece you have. I would love to keep it and use it myself, but I have 4 kids in the car (plus strollers and gear) so there's no room for additional stereo equipment. Since you'd be cutting it for a project, you'd have to repaint it anyways, so the cosmetic scratch should be easily taken care of.

PM me with your contact info if you're interested.

Thanks

Edited by Ozmosis, 23 September 2009 - 10:46 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   Ratpack

Ratpack

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:55 PM

Now that you changed to a NAV system. Where there two amps in there to give you 5.1 surround and if so do you have it now.? I have a Limited with no NAV and would love to know how to get to the 5.1, if in fact I have the two amps.

Thanks,

#12 OFFLINE   Ozmosis

Ozmosis

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:06 AM

Okay, here's a couple pictures of this piece. I'm really surprised by the size of it. I thought it was just the silver part. Sorry for the crappy quality of the pictures: low light + iphone camera = bad pictures. The scratch is so light you can't even feel it.

Attached Files

Edited by Ozmosis, 24 September 2009 - 05:11 AM.

#13 OFFLINE   seanf

seanf

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

I am considering doing this same thing.

What functionality does the display above the radio have after the OEM radio is removed. I would assume that the climate control still shows the temperature up there, but what else is displayed.

I can't really tell from your pictures, but did you put a bezel on the outside to cover up the Dremel cut factory facia.

Thanks for your help,

Sean Flanagan

#14 OFFLINE   fig32

fig32

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:14 AM

How has this been working out? Does the display above the radio show anything any longer? I would imagine the climate control and outside temp still work but radio display is dead now?

#15 OFFLINE   NYsoundwaves

NYsoundwaves

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

This looks GREAT, I have a SEL and I wanted to install my double DIN radio but was afraid, so happy someone tried and succeeded. Please post more pics and instructions.
Also what displays where the radio information used to appear?
David

#16 OFFLINE   kermit

kermit

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:57 PM

thats what modifiying your ride means ,f abricating and using dremels ha ha ha , ive cut up and dremeled and airbagged most of my rides , but that how you learn ! kudos to you!! man with set of iron balls! ha ha ha :)

#17 OFFLINE   NYsoundwaves

NYsoundwaves

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

I have a 2010 Flex with the Sony THX system. We tried the install and it was a nightmare. After removing the factory radio and installing my NAV system, the battery would die. We finally had to reinstalled the factory radio under the passenger seat so the battery would not die. This hopefully will only be a temporary setup until some makes a nice kit. If anyone figures this out let us know,

#18 OFFLINE   pRNcessNcowboy

pRNcessNcowboy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

I read your post from back in 2009 about how you were able to install an aftermarket double din nav unit. Very informative, thanks. Before I get started, I have a question. Scosche now makes a dash kit that places the double din space at the bottom of the instrument panel trim, not a very desirable location especially for a DVD/Nav head unit. Your modification has it mounted much higher up and I really like that. Three years later, now that Scosche makes a dash kit (even though the nav unit would be low on the instrument panel), would you still make your modification? Would you install the aftrmarket head unit in the same location? Have you had any problems and would you make any changes? You suggestions are MUCH appreciated!

#19 OFFLINE   samshiriashi

samshiriashi

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

I recently found a complete OEM head unit with NAV and dash kit, can I upgrade a non nav 2009 flex with this?

#20 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

I recently found a complete OEM head unit with NAV and dash kit, can I upgrade a non nav 2009 flex with this?

I wonder if the wiring harness if different between the two.  I'd check with your Ford dealer and see if they can look up what's different.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·