Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

EcoBoost Turbo Failure: what is reasonable?

Turbo fail Oil leak

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wayfarer

wayfarer

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex Ltd EcoBoost

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:55 PM

I am looking for help and advice here. 6 years ago my wife and I travelled via the US from England in the process of immigrating to Canada. We needed a great car for our trip accross the states into Canada. We had never spent more than $10,000 on a car having only owned 2nd hand Volvos which were happy wth, (our last Volvo a Turbo Wagon  did over 350,000km before we passed it on. without major repairs) We needed a vehicle that could tow a small vintage airstream travel trailer (1966 caravel) which we had talked about for many years and now finally were presented with opportunity, so the Flex with a tow package and highway commanding ecoboost engine were just the ticket plus we loved the look of the Flex which to our euroopean eyes was a cross between a Landrover (boxy) and  a Mini (isolated roofline and rounded corners). I researched alot - pretty much reading this entire forum (many thanks to all :) and, suitably convinced of  prudence, we finally stumped up $35,000 and bought our first nearly new Ford Certified car with 18,000mi. The family journey began on the way to collect the trailer but the power steering went out in the first 1000 miles apparently a known issue and now a recall that was covered under the original warranty, so it was still under the original warranty when we thought it best to add the $2000 top level Premium Care warranty of 6yrs and 125,000mi. We really loved the stable ride and enjoyed the cars extremely quiet interior and with serious power when you need it could be fun too and so many positive reviews we were hooked.

Fast forward to Aug 2 this year I was away on holiday with my wife,  (our first just two of us in 10 yrs, thanks to my brother and his wife coming over from Australia to look after our kids) It was a 4 week trip a very big deal for us when 2 days into the trip  I get a call from my brother to say he had the oil change done at a Mazda dealer (promo) I asked for and now there is smoke every where… he thinks the turbos are blown...Mazda dealer agrees.  

I couldn't do anything where I was and had already completely lost faith in our local dealer based by my  experiences of their incompetence and 2nd class treatment because I had bought my car in the US. The details are too tedious to add here but needless to say I would be considered mad to take my car back there. Thats why he went to the Mazda dealer for the oil change. So the car sat 4 weeks waiting for my return while we hoped the work would be covered under the Premium Care warranty that, although very recently expired (4 1/2 mths),  had a considerable 40,000 miles left on it and no significant claims.  I had it towed for an hour to the next towns dealer they took a week to say yes turbo no coverage and 3 weeks to send me the quote which arrived today. The car has been out of action for 2 months lucky a good friend lent us a car. 

We feel there are real reasonable circumstances that show it is not unfair of us to expect that Ford would show us goodwill and marginally extend the (fully paid) warranty period as we know that manufacturers will do the right thing if they feel the circumstances warrant and are credible. rather than leave us in the lurch over just a few months technicality when we have done all the right things and trusted in them that the part was truly designed for nearly twice the milage we have done as they state 

As brief as I can make it clear, consider the following. 

1. Our Ford Flex was Ford certified. Ford sells cars and makes claims to convince consumers of their quality and suitability. We put faith in those claims to the point of buying (turbos long term were my greatest concern). I was satisfied with my research and Fords statement that “ [EcoBoost Turbos] are designed for a life cycle of 150,000 miles or 10 years”. We’ve only done 88,000mi on our Ford Flex Ltd Ecoboost.
  2. We’ve done nothing wrong we did all the relevant service even paying handsomely for the precaution of an extended Premium Care Warranty. 
  3. It is true that since 2010 the Flex turbo part has changed/altered along with the oil feed parts that apparently were not doing the best job. They did not spend this R&D money for no reason. The original parts must be problematic and prone to fail there is no other commercial reason to change them. 
  4. Ford recieved $2000 in advance for our Premium Care Ford Warranty (6yrs 125,000mi). We did not claim  against this Ford  warranty besides a siezed brake caliper which was a known TSB/fault. Ford has our $2000 and not done anything equivalent in return. 
  5. Only 4 months expired when this occurred but there is around 40% of the warranty mileage unused - am i ignorant to think that counts for something?
  6. That exact same warranty is now 7 years - so in  the same circumstance we would be covered today. Isn't that reason enough ? 
  7. We are unfairly prejudiced because we had to buy the car in the US no local Canadian dealer will act in a supportive way they just don’t give a hoot and assume all US car owners have personally taken money away from them. 
  8. No explanation  for the failure has been given,  but really with all their resources and technology and given turbos have been around for what 40+ years - they should know shouldn't they ? . 
  9. This is a very expensive repair.  The Ford dealer here has quoted me $1028 for one single turbo only, plus labour plus ancillaries total is $2100 - for one turbo repair.  Pretty much the same as what I have already paid Ford for the unused Premium Care Warranty.  Just on a purely financial assessment Ford  would still be in profit  to carry out the repair as goodwill - they have been paid via the unused portion of warranty and the cost of parts to the company  is easily less than a third of what the dealer has quoted. It simply wont cost them to show goodwill. 

The same dealer I also note intends on charging 2 hours ($220) for diagnosis. I had the car towed there and said we think the turbos is blown. 30minutes sure but 2 diagnostic hours to trace an obvious oil leak - does that seem reasonable ?

Of course anyone of you can say well those are the terms of the contract and we are well aware its just that we just feel the weight of particular circumstances, (the expiry being so recent, the repair bill matching what we paid Ford for the warranty such as it would likely cost them nothing in real terms, that under the same warranty today  we'd be covered -  in this instance surely those reasons far out weigh a 4 month technicality and surely are fairer. 

So to anyone who read this far , thanks:) ,and  how am I being unreasonable  ? 

SaveSave

#2 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 278 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 03 October 2016 - 02:11 PM

You should contact Ford. In the end it isn't going to matter what any of us think. It's totally up the them to decide what to do or not do.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·