Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission help...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mr. Flex

Mr. Flex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hello All...

I noticed the day after i puchased my Flex that sometimes, when the vehicle shifts from first to second it is quite harsh. A nice little jerk, lol. I talked to the dealership today and they said they would look at it. Is this normal?

Thanks guys.

#2 OFFLINE   Nickshu

Nickshu

Shu-Box

• Ford Flex Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

I don't think it's normal. Mine is almost unnoticeable when it shifts. But everyone has different expectations about what smooth shifting means. Is it really harsh???

#3 OFFLINE   SHOEMAN

SHOEMAN

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

[quote name='Nickshu' date='Apr 11 2009, 07:33 PM' post='2199']
I don't think it's normal. Mine is almost unnoticeable when it shifts. But everyone has different expectations about what smooth shifting means. Is it really harsh???
[/quote Mine has a bit of a kick from 1st to 2nd every once in a while but not always ,and it has no bearing as well to if I am heavy footed or not.

#4 OFFLINE   jgold

jgold

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:24 AM

May I suggest that you take the Flex back to the dealership and have them see if your Transmission needs to have it's software updated. This is a problem that is also present in the 2008 Tarus and Sable, and a way to correct this is a software update for the transmissin module.

Good Luck

Jim

#5 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:42 AM

There is a TSB out for this (software update), your dealer should know what to do.

#6 OFFLINE   Mr. Flex

Mr. Flex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:09 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I will let them know. :)

#7 OFFLINE   Nickshu

Nickshu

Shu-Box

• Ford Flex Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:31 AM

I found this out there.....the TSB on the gear 1-2 shifting problem:

http://www.helminc.c...8J7DT6X899UB260

For $10 it can be yours, but I'd just go to the dealer.

#8 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

For $10 it can be yours, but I'd just go to the dealer.

Agreed...

#9 OFFLINE   kiwee

kiwee

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:35 AM

thanks for the post on this.
i am going in this afternoon for the update. as soon as i asked about it, they had records of it. it is available for vehicles manufactured prior to 12/12/08.

#10 OFFLINE   kiwee

kiwee

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:25 AM

got the upate done.
took about 20 mins. no biggie.
thanks for the heads up on this.

#11 OFFLINE   csflex

csflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

I have had my Flex for a year now and since day one it has done that. I just take it slow and it shifts into first gear just fine. I am leaving it with the dealer in the morning because I have had other transmission problems with my Flex. Two weeks ago I had it in low gear as we were driving down a steep gravel road, approx. 5 mph. When I shifted back into Drive as we approached an incline we lost all power. The engine just revved high & the car didn't move. I just hit the pedal to the ground and the car went up the incline very, very slow. A week ago I had backed out of a parking stall and drove forward about 100 yards, stopping for a light. As I accelerated forward we heard a LOUD bang noise & it sounded like the transmission fell from the bottom of the car.

A week after I owned the car we had a simuliar experience in LA but thought we ran something over. I am seeing alot of transmission troubles.

I have the same problem as you do, when it shifts into first gear it slams in there. If you ease up and drive real slow it glides in easy. It only happens in the morning the first start up of the day. Doesn't happen any other time during the day even when parked for long periods. It'll be interesting what Ford has to say about it.

Hello All...

I noticed the day after i puchased my Flex that sometimes, when the vehicle shifts from first to second it is quite harsh. A nice little jerk, lol. I talked to the dealership today and they said they would look at it. Is this normal?

Thanks guys.
[/quote]

#12 OFFLINE   csflex

csflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

I have had my Flex for a year now and since day one it has done that. I just take it slow and it shifts into first gear just fine. I am leaving it with the dealer in the morning because I have had other transmission problems with my Flex. Two weeks ago I had it in low gear as we were driving down a steep gravel road, approx. 5 mph. When I shifted back into Drive as we approached an incline we lost all power. The engine just revved high & the car didn't move. I just hit the pedal to the ground and the car went up the incline very, very slow. A week ago I had backed out of a parking stall and drove forward about 100 yards, stopping for a light. As I accelerated forward we heard a LOUD bang noise & it sounded like the transmission fell from the bottom of the car.

A week after I owned the car we had a simuliar experience in LA but thought we ran something over. I am seeing alot of transmission troubles.

I have the same problem as you do, when it shifts into first gear it slams in there. If you ease up and drive real slow it glides in easy. It only happens in the morning the first start up of the day. Doesn't happen any other time during the day even when parked for long periods. It'll be interesting what Ford has to say about it.

Other than that, I love the car...no problems what so ever! Great ride, quiet and smooth. Gas mileage right on target especially for freeway driving. I have previously owned Ford Explorers ever since they came out and this transition to the Flex is a right one. Love the feel, ride and space!

#13 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

I'll bet because you didn't get the update done, the slamming into gear may have caused some internal parts to fail. That would surely cause the transmission issues you claim. If you are still under warranty though, get it fixed now before it runs out of warranty. Shifts that are firm are OK, but ones that slam are not. My Fusion shifts firm, but not harsh, it is supposed to shift that way, but the Flex is nice and smooth.

#14 OFFLINE   nada 50

nada 50

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

Is this for an '09 or '10? Mine seems to shift pretty hard sometimes, but most of the time it's just very sluggish. I bought an '09 used with with 5000mls so figured it was normal for them.

#15 OFFLINE   hwalshflex

hwalshflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

We have an early 09 Flex AWD and have been complaining about a harsh (feels like you are being rear ended) shift on the first 1-2 shift after taking a turn and accelerating for nearly 40k miles. As you are accelerating the RPMs drop slightly and then right before the delayed shift happens there is a loud bang and then the trans knocks into gear. When I say harsh, it is so bad my three year old asked me this morning what that noise was (with the radio on)...he then proceeded to call my car a stupid piece of junk. We are 1k miles away from being out of power train and I am at my breaking point. In all fairness to our dealership the car does not seem to act up with them and they have tried several reprograms and nothing has worked so far. I just know as soon as our warranty is up something catastrophic is going to happen and it is going to be our $$. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by hwalshflex, 22 March 2012 - 04:29 PM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·