Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Lift gate issues. Don't know what to replace

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wzbell

Wzbell

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 flex limited

Posted 15 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

Hello all

I have 2013 Ford Flex with 80k miles. I've had an issue with rear lift gate going on for about a year. Real annoying. It started just when closing. It would act like it was catching then go in reverse. I lubed the supports and it was good for a while. Then it got worse. Now I can't open or close with switch or remote. It'll get quarter way and then it goes in reverse. I've tried the battery reset no help. I ordered new supports from eBay. Not sure they sent the right ones but they were what manufacturer said I needed but it didnt change anything. I returned them. I'm not sure if I need new supports or the actuating arm. Anyone have an idea.

#2 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:50 PM

Try this first, follow all instructions exactly:

---

Power Liftgate Initialization

NOTE: The power liftgate may not operate correctly under the following conditions:

• A low voltage or dead battery
  • A disconnected battery
  • Repairs/adjustments have been made to the power liftgate rod, power liftgate motor, liftgate hinges or liftgate striker

If any of these conditions has occurred, the power liftgate must be reinitialized.

1. NOTE: Battery power must be removed from the Liftgate/Trunk Module (LTM) for 20 seconds before the LTM will enter the initialization mode.

Disconnect the battery or remove the LTM fuse(s).
  1. Wait 20 seconds and reconnect the battery or reinstall the LTM fuse(s).
  1. If liftgate is not already in the fully closed position, manually close and fully latch the power liftgate.
  1. NOTE: Make sure the power liftgate system is turned ON in the message center before performing this step.

NOTE: If the power liftgate does not open during this step, refer to the Symptom Chart to diagnose the inoperative power liftgate.

Power open the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.
  1. Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the key fob or control switch.

===================

Here is more about the Liftgate/Trunk Module and how it works:

The following is a brief explanation of a normal power close cycle of the power liftgate.

• The power close operation will begin with one of the following methods:
    • The LTM (Liftgate/Trunk Module) receives a momentary ground signal from the power liftgate control switch.
    • The LTM receives a momentary ground signal from the power liftgate rear control switch (LH rear quarter panel).
    • The SJB receives a signal from the remote transmitter key fob (double press).
  • The LTM checks the PRNDL position and vehicle speed status from the CAN communication link.
  • The LTM will start an audible chime.
  • After one second of audible chime, power is supplied to the drive assembly actuator clutch and motor as the audible chime continues 3 seconds total.
  • As the power liftgate is powered closed, the position sensor is monitored for liftgate position and velocity. The power liftgate will reverse if an obstruction is detected.
  • Also, as the power liftgate is powered closed, the pinch strips are monitored for a pinch condition. The power liftgate will reverse if an obstruction is detected by either pinch strip.
  • The power liftgate detent switch, forkbolt primary switch and forkbolt secondary switch circuits are monitored for correct latch signals.
  • When the LTM receives switch signals indicating the secondary latch position is reached, power is supplied to the unlatch/cinching motor to pull the liftgate into the primary latch position. When primary latch position is reached, power is removed from the drive motor and clutch.
  • When the LTM receives switch signals indicating the primary latch position has been reached (liftgate is fully closed), the LTM reverses the direction of the unlatch/cinching motor until the sector gear switches indicate the neutral position.

• Felicia Branch likes this

#3 OFFLINE   FordCustomerService

FordCustomerService

New Flex Member

• Official Ford Motor Co
  • 265 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

Hello all

I have 2013 Ford Flex with 80k miles. I've had an issue with rear lift gate going on for about a year. Real annoying. It started just when closing. It would act like it was catching then go in reverse...

Welcome to the community, Wzbell!  :)

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Let me look into this further. Have you taken your Flex to the dealer to get diagnosed? If not, please make an appointment at the dealer here. Let me know once it’s scheduled, and I’ll look into available options to assist!

Tricia

#4 OFFLINE   Philip Santoro

Philip Santoro

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Flex XLT

Posted 19 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

I have a 2013 Ford Flex and whenever I try to open or close my power liftgate, it makes this horrible grinding noise and won't open or close anymore without manually closing it.  Any fixes out there?

#5 OFFLINE   cnheyl

cnheyl

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 26 August 2016 - 08:07 AM

I also have a 2013 Ford Flex and our power liftgate started acting up last year. The dealer found the struts were leaking and replaced the struts under warranty but now the problem has come back. At this point the motor has failed and the car is out of warranty. Replacement of liftgate motor is about $400.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·