Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

ARGGH! Bug deflector install

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   allicat2000

allicat2000

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:15 AM

I cannot for the life of me get the little white screw keepers to stay in the predrilled holes on the underside of the hood. PLEASE whats the secret?

Edited by allicat2000, 29 March 2009 - 09:34 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   jgold

jgold

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:51 AM

I cannot for the life of me get the little white screw keepers to stay in the predrilled holes on the underside of the hood. PLEASE whats the secret?

I had the bug deflector installed and they came up with the same problem. The work around was:
place the screw in appropriate hole of the bug deflector and actually screw in a very small portion of the screw into the screw keeper.

Now center the screw and screw keeper into the appropriate hole and tighten the screw while holding the screw keeper in place (remember place all the screws with the screw keeper before centering all the holes. Now just tighten (Sorry about the word redundency).

Hope this helps you

Best

Jim

#3 OFFLINE   allicat2000

allicat2000

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:33 AM

[quote name='jgold' date='Mar 23 2009, 07:51 AM' post='1899']
I had the bug deflector installed and they came up with the same problem. The work around was:
place the screw in appropriate hole of the bug deflector and actually screw in a very small portion of the screw into the screw keeper.

Now center the screw and screw keeper into the appropriate hole and tighten the screw while holding the screw keeper in place (remember place all the screws with the screw keeper before centering all the holes. Now just tighten (Sorry about the word redundency).

Hope this helps you

Best

Jim

heya jim - im about to give up on this. What a cheeZy way of engineering this thing to stay on. The white keepers are a joke. Question tho - did you put the screw through the weatherstripping before screwing it into the white keeper?

The dealer better take this back. Thanks again and if anyone else has done this pls feel free to tell me how ya did it. Im going to try this one more time.

Mike

#4 OFFLINE   jgold

jgold

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:00 AM

Mike:

The screws went through the same holes that where there and used by the previous fastners. Remember to place the side clips and the small rubber bumps behind the deflector.

Best of Luck.. and don't give up.

Jim

#5 OFFLINE   matslapper

matslapper

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

Just received my bug shield today and I have to say that the instruction sheet has to be one of the worst written, I mean illustrated (I guess this is how all instructional sheets will be "written" for the melting pot America) Minimal drawings and even fewer words. Hope I can figure out the heirogliphs (sp?)
Wish me luck.

#6 OFFLINE   88Mercury

88Mercury

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

I put one on the other day. Piece of cake. It took me about 15 min. to put it on. Open the tabs on the back of the white grommets with a flat blade screwdriver. Then put them in the holes on the hood. Hold the bug shield in place. The white grommets have a raised slot on them that lines up with the oval holes in the bug shield, which keep the grommets from turning while you put the screws in. The screws should go through the original holes in the weather stripping, then the bug shield, and then into the white grommets. The rubber bumpers stick to the HOOD under the dots indicated on the shield. Also the clear 3M film tabs go on the hood under the metal clips to keep the clips tight and from scratching the paint.

This is a very well made bug shield. The hardware mounts it very sturdy. Better than the Stampede shield I have on my Explorer. I am glad I got this one.

Edited by 88Mercury, 07 April 2009 - 12:45 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   matslapper

matslapper

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

I am a genius! After thinking I could just use something, like plumbers putty, to temporarily hold the white anchors in place while aligning the screws through the the weather stripping, then the bug shield , and finally into the anchors, I was WRONG. This bug shield is NOT well manufactured at all! I have attached pictures that show the difinite distortion that is formed during the molding/cooling process. There appears to be a distinct, almost, deliberate relief formed AWAY from the hood at both points of attachment. Now, if I'm supposed to hold the assembled molding, shield and screw against the underside of the hood to keep the slot on the anchor in the groove of the shield , IT WON"T HAPPEN! It is physically impossible by virtue of the fact that the off-set in the shield is greater than the length of the notch on the anchor. The fix you say? 2 strips of wood, a propane torch and a set of quick grip clamps. That's right, I had to carefully heat the affected area on both sides of the shield and after a few minutes, apply the wood blocks to both sides of the shield and quickly apply the clamp. THEN, after allowing it to cool, it was a frickin' piece of cake! If any engineer/designer reads this post PLA...LEEEEEZE make note and correct this major flaw. I'm really getting tired modifying, repairing, replacing products that have been under engineered or built. Just fixed a 3 year old duet dryer yesterday and will be visiting with a Vizio tech on Friday as he repairs my 3 month old Plasma TV!

Attached Files

#8 OFFLINE   matslapper

matslapper

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

[After sending an email with my concerns about this issue, I got a response from both the partscheap.com folks as well as Ford. Apparently because I was the only one to complain, they consider this to be a non-issue. The people at Partscheap.com were very helpful in forwarding my concerns to the next level. Although I couldn't convince them their design is flawed, I feel better having stated my case and if it helps someone else's install successful, then it's worth it.

#9 OFFLINE   88Mercury

88Mercury

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

[After sending an email with my concerns about this issue, I got a response from both the partscheap.com folks as well as Ford. Apparently because I was the only one to complain, they consider this to be a non-issue. The people at Partscheap.com were very helpful in forwarding my concerns to the next level. Although I couldn't convince them their design is flawed, I feel better having stated my case and if it helps someone else's install successful, then it's worth it.

Are the parts from Partscheap.com really a Ford part? I got my shield from a dealer, ford labels on the box, and it fit just fine. The orginal Ford part will have a ford oval and a part number molded right into the shield.

#10 OFFLINE   hamador1

hamador1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:51 PM

I installed a bug shield on my wifes Flex Limited that i purchased from the dealer and had the same issue with the white plastic inerts. I finaly just gave up and epoxied the damn things in place then waited 24 hours to mount the shield. Since you'll never see the white spacers save yourself some grief and do what I did. Not sure how else you can mount this shield as per the lame supplied instructions.

#11 OFFLINE   flexibility

flexibility

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

Has anyone posted a picture of this shield installed on a light colored Flex? I found an image of a deflector on a freestyle just curious if it's similar..

#12 OFFLINE   kchpak

kchpak

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:40 AM

I just purchased the bug deflector and was very frustated on it not aligning properly. than I found this trhread.

The offset is more than half an inch. Could the problem be the one that I bought from the dealer? should I return it and ask if they can reorder another one?

in looking at the terrible instructions, I have noticed that my white inserts look a lot smaller than the ones on the picture. could this be the problem.

I do like the solution of torching, but I would use this as a last resort, if the dealer doesnt' take back the shield.

Any help would be appreciated. are the sizes different for 08, 09 and 2010?

#13 OFFLINE   NCFlex

NCFlex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

I just purchased and installed the Ford bug shield. It fit with very minor effort on my part. Yes the little white plastic screw keepers were a problem, but I held them with a pair of pliers and ran one of the screws down into them and back out to spread them out. I then had to squeeze them back down some to get them in the holes. Once I did that they stayed with no problem.

I then aligned the raised portion with the slot in the shield and ran the screws in with no problems, using the shield to keep them from spinning.

I installed the mud flaps, the window vent shades and the bug shield in about 1.5 hour total. Took longer to go get them at the dealer and come back home!

Randy

Edited by NCFlex, 20 October 2010 - 12:45 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   jettech462

jettech462

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

Instead of going with a bug shield I chose to go with a 3M car mask. Invisible tape cut to install and protect your hood, bumper and above the windshield. Pretty hard installation but you don't notice it and it really protects from bugs, debris and small rocks.

#15 OFFLINE   johnt26

johnt26

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for blazing the trail on the bug deflector. It was easy to install using the tips the previous posters supplied. It took us about 15 minutes once we stopped trying to insert the machine screw in the white plastic pieces!
Looks nice, sized right and very factory look.

#16 OFFLINE   David in Duluth

David in Duluth

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex Limited

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:31 AM

I just used four screw inserts I had for drywall or concrete they were larger and fit snugly in the hoods holes to begin with. I then just tightened the screws and the inserts spread held great. The inserts that came with the shield were too small to deal with ... Just go to the hardware store and pickup a bag of plastic screw anchors a bit bigger for $1.69 and make this project simple.

#17 OFFLINE   David in Duluth

David in Duluth

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex Limited

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:33 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="flexibility" data-cid="3797" data-time="1247954149"><p>
Has anyone posted a picture of this shield installed on a light colored Flex? I found an image of a deflector on a freestyle just curious if it's similar..</p></blockquote>

#18 OFFLINE   Liteman

Liteman

Liteman

• Ford Flex Members
  • 30 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

How about this one I mounted last year.

Mort 036

#19 OFFLINE   Chad Osuna

Chad Osuna

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 15 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2010 flex

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

It was a pain in the ass but it looks great once it's on, the key is getting the tabs to open on the back of the white inserts. I effed around with it for about an hour before I figured that out. Worst instructions ever

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·