Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Potential for door rust?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EnzymeDiane

EnzymeDiane

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:30 AM

New Flex owner in North East Ohio-can we say SNOWBELT! The more I drive the Flex the more I worry about the rocks hitting the bottom of the doors. Since they wrap under the Flex what will happen in say 3 years? I know my 2002 Caravan rusted out below the doors. I plan on keeping this till it dies so I need to protect the body somehow.

Being that it has low clearence I am worried about running boards but wondering if they are even made for it.

Maybe my only option is mud flaps.

Thanks!

#2 OFFLINE   rc_cola

rc_cola

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:09 AM

Hi Diane,
I wouldn't worry about it too much....yes, the salt is concerning. As long as you give it a rinse to keep some of the salt off in the winter, all should be well. mudflaps would definately help.

the bottom of our doors actually have a special paint/coating. the next time you clean your flex, run your hand under the outside of the doors. you should feel a "bumpy" paint/texture. it's similar to what they spray in truck bedliners (not quite as durable though). this is to keep stones and other road debris from completely "sand blasting" the paint off the bottom of our doors. also, for rust protection since it will protect the metal underneath.

#3 OFFLINE   flexfan

flexfan

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:57 AM

New Flex owner in North East Ohio-can we say SNOWBELT! The more I drive the Flex the more I worry about the rocks hitting the bottom of the doors. Since they wrap under the Flex what will happen in say 3 years? I know my 2002 Caravan rusted out below the doors. I plan on keeping this till it dies so I need to protect the body somehow.

Being that it has low clearence I am worried about running boards but wondering if they are even made for it.

Maybe my only option is mud flaps.

Thanks!

Diane I also had the same concerns with the potential of road abrasion (stone pecking) from gravel and rust from road salt they use hear in Mich. The design of the door the lower section acts as a rocker panel and that lower section could build-up mud/dirt pack-up between the out skin and door inner panel. Ford sprays the lower section with gravel gaurd (orange peel surface) on the doors lower return surface which should reduce the stone pecking issue and the door is well E-coated. I went one step further and used a clear 3M poly-urethane tape on the lower fender, front door return and the section behind the rear wheel on the facia (bumber cover). This tape is vary resilent and should greatly reduce the stone pecking issue. Also I rust proofed the fender, doors, lift gate with a 3M rustproofing material which is a parafin base grease which should help with the surfaces inside the doors.It took some time to do but I like the car and hope to keep it around for awhile.

Edited by flexfan, 05 December 2009 - 04:58 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

I think Fords door design is an improvement over conventional rocker panels. You can clean these, you cant clean the rockers. I refurbished our 1995 Grand Marquis, the only rusted areas were the rockers where dirt and leaves get in there and block up the weep holes, and that is what causes the rusting, they rust from the inside out. This design helps eliminated that problem. You can also if you want get a spray on bedliner that matches the color of the car put on the bottom of the door, which they guarantee from coming off.

#5 OFFLINE   doanster

doanster

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:11 AM

The potential for rust is more on the inside of the door. I have a 2009 and live in atlantic canada - the outer door skin wraps around and the lip is on the inside bottom of the door. Although there is a good seal on the door - dirt and water still get up into that inside area of the door. Couple that with the fact that when you get into and out of the vehicle - your feet may touch or drag on that lower door lip and eventually the paint wears. Also beware of the drains on the inside of the door. They easily get clogged which will then hold water and dirt down along the bottom seam of the door. I found this out after getting paint repairs done to my flex - i noticed that the drains looked plugged so i pulled them out. About 1 cup of wet silica sand came out of each door (from the sandblasting) - i scuffed up the inside bottoms of all 4 doors and sprayed them with duraliner bedliner spray - left the drains out - now protected and draining properly - sprayed restcheck thru drainholes to protect inner bottom of door.

#6 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

That holds true with practically all cars. The weep holes in the doors are very small and Willow leaves are the worst as they are so small they can easily slip past the window seals and wind up clogging those openings.  As with anything else, preventive maintenance helps it all last longer, and doing what you did will help it last. 

#7 OFFLINE   flashbackwoody

flashbackwoody

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Turbo Flex - Cadillac STS

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

the potential for rust is huge inside the bottom of the wrap around and under portion of the door cavity. i pulled the vent flappers from the bottom of the door and inserted a piece of vinyl tubing that reaches all the way to the other end of the cavity and used a oil can to squirt heavy viscosity 80-90 gear oil into them and then let it drain out onto cardboard. I do this twice a year. It is the 'only' thing that will stop the rust you will see upon inspection of pretty much any Flex that has spent a few winters in the salt n' sand belt of the continent. The rear of the front fender is a spot that you will find bubbling already as well

• robertlane likes this

#8 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

the potential for rust is huge inside the bottom of the wrap around and under portion of the door cavity. i pulled the vent flappers from the bottom of the door and inserted a piece of vinyl tubing that reaches all the way to the other end of the cavity and used a oil can to squirt heavy viscosity 80-90 gear oil into them and then let it drain out onto cardboard. I do this twice a year. It is the 'only' thing that will stop the rust you will see upon inspection of pretty much any Flex that has spent a few winters in the salt n' sand belt of the continent. The rear of the front fender is a spot that you will find bubbling already as well

I know a few people who have rust right where you've explained it.

#9 OFFLINE   tkb01029

tkb01029

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:58 PM

I have much the same rust problem, drivers door bottom and rocker panel as well. Furthermore, my 2010 flex remains "disabled" because of rust perforation on the top of the fuel tank which turns out was the cause of a P0442 OBDII code. In 70,000 miles, corrosion has claimed all 4 wheel bearings, 2 full sets of brake disks and the 4 brake calipers (right rear replace 2x.)

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·