Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Replace Center Console Armrest Hinge

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 256 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:04 AM

Here is how to replace the hinge on the center console arm rest without removing anything from the car. (except of course the arm rest ) The dealer will take the cover off the console and to do this the seats need to come out to get that cover off. This is why it costs so much to have done. $200-$300 for the part, (you can't just get the hinge you have to by the armrest and hinge assembly) and a couple of hours labor. I know this works on the '09-'12s but don't know about the '13s up. They should be similar but I haven't seen one to verify.

First remove the inner lid from the arm rest by taking out 6 screws (all screws are T-20 Torx)

arm_rest.jpg

Inner lid removed, you can now take out the 4 screws holding the armrest to the hinge.
arm_rest_cover_off.jpg

Here is the bare hinge. You can see the 4 countersunk screw holes for the screws holding both sides on.
hinge1.jpg

You can only get at 2 of the screws holding the hinge to the console.
undrilled.JPG

Here is the hinge with the console cover removed showing all 4 screws
4_screws1.JPG

Use the new hinge as a template to mark the location of the hidden screws
mark1.JPG

Drill 2, 3/8" holes in the locations you marked.
drilled.JPG

If done correctly you can look through the hole and see the previously hidden screws.
Thru_hole.JPG

It is a good idea to have a magnetized driver to get these guys out. Otherwise you will have to remove the back cover of the console to fish them out from the rear seat.  ;)

If after reassembling everything you (or your wife  :lol: ) is CDO about having 2 extra holes in the console cover, even though you can't see them with the lid closed, they can be filled with these finishing plugs. One is shown in black, the other is natural. You will probably want them the same color  :lol:  I got them from the Sears hardware store near me, but any good hardware store will have them.
CDO_PLUGS.JPG

Now for the most important step in the whole process.  :cheers:
cool_one.JPG

Edited by mmsstar, 31 May 2015 - 10:52 AM.

• GrySql likes this

#2 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:36 AM

That's great!  :rating:

The last picture looks Pub sized! 

#3 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 256 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:55 PM

That glass came home from Ireland with us in '71, not sure how old it was when I got it...and my local watering hole fills it for me when I come by.

Edited by mmsstar, 31 May 2015 - 01:10 PM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·