Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

So, How Long Does it take to build a car???

build time customer service custom order

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   richjh

richjh

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:chrysler

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

Well, for my Regional Customer Service Rep Charlene who thinks a car cannot be tracked and it takes months and months to build.   Who also thinks that Ford only builds Fleet cars and doesn't like special orders.  Here is a major network news report on the subject

http://www.nbcchicag...-111263879.html

rh

#2 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

Making the car is the easy part, the lead time to get one built and then the shipping consume most of the time on an ordered car.

Lead time estimates factor in normal transportation time of 10-14 days. Lead time does not factor in upfitting (extra modifications). It may take one to three weeks longer for vehicles sent to the Western States, Alaska, Hawaii or east and west provinces of Canada.

http://www.donlen.co...rucks-ford.aspx

Edited by GrySql, 27 May 2015 - 06:34 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   OspreyVic

OspreyVic

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Flex Limited

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:48 AM

Just took delivery of our 2015 Ford Flex Limited

Ordered March 3, 2015

Factory pulled the order and assigned a VIN number on March 20, 2015

Delivered June 15, 2015 - over 3 months to take delivery

To me, that is just not good customer service on the part of Ford Motor Company.

#4 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:55 AM

One of the issues that we don't usually think of is that each assembly plant makes several different model cars.  Edge and Flex crossover vehicles are built in Oakville, Ontario, Canada alongside related Lincoln models.

Each model is placed in the production line separately according to demand and when the that goal number of vehicles are made, the plant shuts down, re-tools/reschedules and begins making another model Ford or Lincoln.

If you are lucky enough to place an order just as the Flex assembly line is scheduled your ordered car will be built as soon as assembly is started, a quick order for you.  If you have to wait while 25,000 Edge, 5,000 Lincolns and a few MKT's are built first it can take extra months before the Flex line will again be produced. 

The actual time needed to assemble a vehicle is less than a week, the rest of the delivery time is because of parts scheduling and transportation.

There are other factors too, your build priority is given a number, the faster builds have a better priority number.

There are parts shortages for special orders too, these add to the delivery time.

#5 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 278 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

My impression was the line builds them all as they come through, you may have several Edges, then a Flex or two then a Lincoln then more Edges ect.

#6 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:11 PM

My impression was the line builds them all as they come through, you may have several Edges, then a Flex or two then a Lincoln then more Edges ect.

I agree that the production line can build all 4 car models with the same workers. 

I'd read somewhere that they are made in large batches so the workers can better remember how each model vehicle is built.

The Edge, Flex and MKT are scheduled and can be built on the same production line but because the demand for the new Edge and the newer MKC is so high the Flex production is inserted as demand for those new vehicles slows down.  That may be why there is up to a 18 week wait time for a Flex right now.

Or so I understand - where's Waldo?  :headscratch:

Edited by GrySql, 20 June 2015 - 08:59 PM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·