Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

TOWING WIRING Brake Controller Setup EASY!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jerorver

jerorver

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

What year and model of Flex do you have?

Also, do you know if hill assist is standard on the flex or added as a part of a package?

Thank-you

#22 OFFLINE   bhinkston

bhinkston

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:31 PM

What year and model of Flex do you have?

Also, do you know if hill assist is standard on the flex or added as a part of a package?

Thank-you

Not sure to whom you are addressing your question.

I was the originator of this post, so my Flex is a 2009 with over 23,000 miles on it (already).

It was commented in this post that all Flex's appear to have the "Hill Assist" feature, though I can't confirm that.

Edited by bhinkston, 10 April 2010 - 06:33 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   eosBlue

eosBlue

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:29 AM

I think all do. Ours does not have factory tow, but it does have hill assist...

Wondering if the ECO has this "hill assist" also since it had paddles that allow the operator to select whatever gear is desired.

#24 OFFLINE   Gumby

Gumby

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

Wondering if the ECO has this "hill assist" also since it had paddles that allow the operator to select whatever gear is desired.

Yes it does. When I put my Flex in "M", a little vehicle pointing downhill turns on the dashboard. Until I begin using the paddle shifters, then it disappears.

Edited by Gumby, 30 May 2010 - 09:32 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   scotty5484

scotty5484

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 64 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost, 2011 Camaro SS/RS conv. and 2002 Ford Ranger Edge

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

This post is for those who are using their FLEX to tow a trailer that has electric brakes.

One of the reasons we chose the FLEX (besides its upscale looks and its overall performance) is that it was one of the few midsize vehicles that could tow a 3,500 pound popup camper (it tows up to 4,500 points). I currently use a 2000 Ford Expedition that can easily tow this, but its not a vehicle that is comfortable (or cheap at 12mpg) to drive long distances. Plus, I'm getting spoiled in my old age and like all the bells and whistles of the LIMITED version of the Flex, Navigation-Sync system, Sirius, Rear DVD for the kids, etc.

If you do get the optional tow package as a factory option, you probably know that the FLEX comes PRE-WIRED for both the 4-pin and 7-pin trailer electrical connection. What you may not know is that it also comes PRE-WIRED for an electronic brake controller for your trailer! There is an (unconnected) connecter underneath the driver's side dash which is used for this purpose. If you put your head in the footwell next to the brake pedal and look up into the guts under the dash, you'll find the unconnected electrical connector close to the diagnostic connector for the car.

What you need to do is buy any appropriate electronic brake controller (there are many out there) -AND- the "pigtail" (the opposite connector with wires coming out of it) from FORD parts department for this purpose. This pigtail is something like $16.50 USD plus tax. Then, either you or the FORD SERVICE department connects the ends of the brake controller to the pigtail and physically attaches the brake controller to the bottom of your dash. This without running any new wires!

I know this because FORD has been very intelligent about this for a while. My 2000 Ford Expedition was pre-wired in this fashion as well. When I was looking at the FLEX, I looked under the dash to confirm when I read it was all pre-wired as part of the factory installed, optional tow package.

Its the "little things" and the thought that has gone into this vehicle that makes it so impressive.

Have fun..

-B

What brake controller brand/model you do recommend? I need to buy one. Thanks!

#26 OFFLINE   bhinkston

bhinkston

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:55 AM

What brake controller brand/model you do recommend? I need to buy one. Thanks!

I would consult your trailer manufacturer or ford dealer.

Brake controllers are a dime-a-dozen. You can get a cheap one with analog sliders or more expensive ones that have digital adjustments ... more functions, more cost.

I personally have one of each... a cheap slider and a digital one which is just a little more expensive, but not with all the bells-and-whistles. They both work just fine for the limited towing to do.

Good Luck

Brent

#27 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

Here is a photo of the plug: The bottom of the photo is towards the rear of the car (edge of dash bottom), the brown connector you see is the trailer brake hookup. The blue connector at the bottom of the photo is the OBDII connector for the dealer diagnostic computer, which hangs down below the base of the dash.
, w
Posted Image

Ok I am sitting here in my Flex, tapping away on my iPad, so I reach down, put my hand up under the dash, and what do I find? You guessed right if you said little brown connector. This confirms my earlier thoughts that all the Flex, at least the EB models have what is needed to tow except for the hitch. I am going to order that OEM hitch I posted about in a different thread.

Thanks for the picture, is was something I wondered about. I can transfer my controller from my F350 and back since they are the same plug.

#28 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:52 AM

Ok I am sitting here in my Flex, tapping away on my iPad, so I reach down, put my hand up under the dash, and what do I find? You guessed right if you said little brown connector. This confirms my earlier thoughts that all the Flex, at least the EB models have what is needed to tow except for the hitch. I am going to order that OEM hitch I posted about in a different thread.

Thanks for the picture, is was something I wondered about. I can transfer my controller from my F350 and back since they are the same plug.

A little update about this. The wire and plug is under the dash, however, that is as far as it goes. The rest of the wiring is not installed on non tow equipped Flex. Bit's and Pieces of the wiring is in place, like the plug in the back where the bumper harness attaches, but they end somewhere in the. I tried tracing, but got nowhere.

#29 OFFLINE   JoeShmoeFromShmoeville

JoeShmoeFromShmoeville

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

This is as close as I have come to finding the blue wire for the brake controller to hook up the 7 way plug.

It's on a 2009 Ford Flex Ltd that does not have the tow package but does have this brown connector for the brake controller under the dash.

Is there anyone in this forum that knows where to find the blue wire that is supposed to go to the 7 way?

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·