Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Battery terminal corrosion

alarm honking alarm key in ignition cleaning battery

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

I bought this 2011 CPO Flex last June, it came with a new battery.  The positive terminal was pretty corroded when I finally got it home and looked the car over real close.

No big deal, I figured I'd clean it myself, that was 8  months ago.

Yesterday I finally did the cleaning job with a baking soda/water mix and various brushes and scrapers, it came out pretty clean, so far so good.

Next I installed those green/red anti-corrosion pads around the battery posts and gave everything a thin coating of dielectric grease.

I'd disconnected both terminals, when I went to reconnect them the horn alarm went off and the only way to stop it was to pull the negative terminal.

I tried this a few times but each time the horns alarm would honk. The Owners Manual was no help.

I was frustrated, I've cleaned lots of battery terminals on my cars with alarms and never had this happen.

I got on the internet and looked up this issue, a Mustang Forum had a suggestion and I tried it.

I put the key in the ignition, turned it to the Accessory position and then connected the negative cable, it worked, no alarm.

I learned something new. 

#2 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 07 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

I bought this 2011 CPO Flex last June, it came with a new battery.  The positive terminal was pretty corroded when I finally got it home and looked the car over real close.

No big deal, I figured I'd clean it myself, that was 8  months ago.

Yesterday I finally did the cleaning job with a baking soda/water mix and various brushes and scrapers, it came out pretty clean, so far so good.

Next I installed those green/red anti-corrosion pads around the battery posts and gave everything a thin coating of dielectric grease.

I'd disconnected both terminals, when I went to reconnect them the horn alarm went off and the only way to stop it was to pull the negative terminal.

I tried this a few times but each time the horns alarm would honk. The Owners Manual was no help.

I was frustrated, I've cleaned lots of battery terminals on my cars with alarms and never had this happen.

I got on the internet and looked up this issue, a Mustang Forum had a suggestion and I tried it.

I put the key in the ignition, turned it to the Accessory position and then connected the negative cable, it worked, no alarm.

I learned something new. 

Exactly.  That's they way that we used to do it @ Shelby with the 2005-2014 Mustangs.

• GrySql likes this

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·