Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Definitive Tow Package Thread

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BradS7535

BradS7535

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Flex

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:31 PM

Hello all, new to the Flex forum, but have posted in the Fusion forum before.

Recently purchased a 2014 Flex base model (not ecoboost, no tow package).  Looking to get a trailer and want to set up the vehicle to tow the max capacity (4,500 lb). I've done some research and went through all the threads but it seems like some threads have outdated or incorrect info so I would like to try to get everyone's input on this one thread for other people looking to add the necessary equipment for towing with a Flex.

Tow Hitch:

It is my understanding that I have 2 options, I can get aftermarket (Hidden Hitch, Reece, etc...) for a Class III or I can get the Ford OEM (Class I/III depending if you have the oil cooler).  The Ford OEM hitch requires cutting of the bumper, but is a cleaner install than the aftermarket ones.  Can someone confirm that the Ford OEM is in reality a Class III (4,500 tow w/ 450 tounge). 

Is this the correct part number for the Ford OEM Hitch:  9A8Z-19D520-D

Oil Cooler:

I know the tow package comes with the engine OIL cooler and this is what makes the Ford OEM hitch a "Class III".  I know it can't hurt to have it, but does anyone have any experience towing a large trailer (within max weight limits) without the oil cooler?  What is everyone's thoughs on adding the oil cooler?

Can someone provide the Ford part number for the OEM oil cooler?

Wiring/Harness:

This is where a lot of my confusion comes in.  I've read threads saying some Flex are pre-wired for the tow package, but are missing a pigtail or something.  What is specifically needed for a Flex WITHOUT the Tow Package in order to add both the 4-pin and 7-pin wiring (lights, power, and electric brakes for trailer)?

Can someone provide info and part numbers for what is needed?

Any other info or experience you guys can provide would be great.  Also, if you've found links to installation guides or anything that helped you with any of the above topics would be great.  Thanks!

#2 OFFLINE   BradS7535

BradS7535

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Flex

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

And just one point of clarification if you guys could help.

I called my local ford dealer who said they have done some of these installs, and he said that Part Number 9A8Z-19D520-D is a 1 1/4" hitch.  Is this true?  Is the factory hitch only 1 1/4?  Is this OK to tow up to 4500 lbs with a tounge weight of 450lbs?  Or is he mistaken and the part is actually a 2" hitch? 

9A8Z-19D520-D

#3 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:18 PM

I looked this up on Ford's parts page and it doesn't give specs.

http://www.fordparts...&keyword=hitch#

#4 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

I think that it's a 2" receiver.

Keep us updated, please.

#5 OFFLINE   huey1

huey1

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2012 flex

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:46 PM

Old post, but for future reference it's a 2".  See my profile at the other Flex site for photos of my invoice for the parts and the hitch.

Regarding wiring.  Look in the big fuse box in the engine compartment.  If there are no fuses for anything that relates to trailer lights you have no wiring.  Also see your owners manual for fuse locations and trailer related fuse locations.

If you don't have those fuses don't bother ordering either of the 1 wiring harness in the invoice I posted.

Also, you don't need a little transformer with your trailer wiring if you do not have LED tail lights.

Good Luck :)

• GrySql likes this

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·