Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Uneven Tire Wear

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Zilevets

Zilevets

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:27 AM

Hi, we recently bought a 2012 Flex SEL with AWD and silver vista roof (no ecoboost) and we love it!

The only thing that concerns me is that there is uneven wear on the inside of the front drivers' side wheel. The Flex has 73,000 miles on it and the tires have a good amount of tread left on them. This the first AWD vehicle we have owned and not sure what to do about it.

I have heard that you cannot buy one new tire, or otherwise have one tire with less tread; due to the fact that the AWD system will notice it spinning separately (faster or slower) from the others and will compensate. The tires are 235/60/R18 Firestone Destination LE2 . Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

#2 OFFLINE   kevken

kevken

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FLEX Limited w/ EcoBoost

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:40 AM

I have a recent problem on my Front passenger tire that is apparently rubbing on something causing a groove at the very inside edge of the tire tread. I have inspected all around the wheel well and turned the steering wheel lock to lock to inspect for each position of the wheel. I am unable to find any indication of wear but it is so severe that it cut through the belts at the inside edge and caused the tread to start separating and bulging causing wheel and steering wheel wobble. That is when I first found the problem. It felt more like a balance weight have come off. At first looking at the tire, the normal tread was fine with plenty of tread. It wasn't until I jacked it up and got under, rotating the tire by hand that I noticed the separation in the tread at the groove formed at the inner edge. I had an extra stock tire with excellent tread that I had replaced  a couple years ago due to a puncture in the center of the tread and had it patched to possibly use as a full size spare or at least carry with me on a long trip since every time I have had to replace any tires at the dealership, they have had to order them! These are the stock tires that came from the factory 255/45R20. With the replaced tire on the Passenger front, I am immediately developing another groove in the same location and cannot determine the source. Has anyone experienced this??? Or have any thoughts? I'm thinking of getting my leaf blower and aiming it at the front side of my wheel well to see if something is deflecting at speed and contacting the tire, even though I can see any wear points.

2010 FLEX Limited, Ecoboost. Original Owner. 110,000 miles

#3 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 276 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 29 June 2015 - 06:48 AM

How about a picture? I would think that if something is contacting the tire (and it sure sounds like it is) you would see evidence of it either from rubber left on it or by it being rubbed clean.

#4 OFFLINE   Donna Hall

Donna Hall

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:26 AM

I have a 2012 silver Flex with white roof which I purchased new. Love it! However, just had to replace all 4 tires due to inside tread wear (at 45,000 mi!) Have kept up with all my oil changes and tire rotations except this last one... I went about 7,000 mi instead of 5. The tires did pass state inspection last December so at some point the car went out of alignment ( thinking potholes from bad New England winter) anyways the tires were down to the metal when I heard some banging ( rubber stripping off and flapping) and then low pressure light came on. Couldn't see anything until I turned the wheel and then I was shocked! Had felt no pulling at all but the guy at the tire place said that doesn't necessarilly happen. So now I'm worried as I have googled and this seems to be a Flex issue. I paid extra owith this tire place for lifetime free alignments and tire warranty. Photos attachedAttached File  image.jpg   132.66KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   190.33KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   147.67KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   191.97KB   0 downloads

#5 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

Hi and sorry to hear you are having a tire problem. 

Did you say that all 4 tires have this wear problem and up till 7k miles ago everything was wearing normally?

Did your Tire Shop check the alignment or look at the suspension? 

BTW, 45k miles is not bad for your weather/road conditions, what brand of tire was it?

#6 OFFLINE   Donna Hall

Donna Hall

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 10:54 PM

Yes it was all four tires ... Had an oil change, tire rotation etc last fall 2014,...at around 38,000... then passed MA state inspection ( which includes tire inspection) the end of December 2014. Was due for another oil change in May at 43,000 mi approx, but went over due to being very busy and then away on vacation the month of July. It was on vacation we kept hearing the flapping pieces of rubber. I thought something was in the wheel wells because we couldn't see anything and then the piece would strip off apparently and the noise would stop. Not sure what tires... They were the original tires that came with the car 2012, AWD, vista roof Eco boost chrome pkg...but can check the slip as they replaced them with the same kind. Don't have access to that right now. Anyways, could have potentially had a blow out and accident with any of those tires not to mention almost slicing my finger open when I was feeling around for issues after the tire pressure light came on. That metal in the tires is super sharp! The tire shop did not mention checking the suspension .. They just did an alignment oil change and replaced all 4 tires... With the extra couple of hundred for the lifetime free alignments deal/lifetime warranty on the tires it came to close to $1500.

#7 OFFLINE   Donna Hall

Donna Hall

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:39 AM

Just want to add that my complaint is not so much having to get new tires at 45,000 mi, it's more the dangerous, odd and rapid way they wore down... All on the inside tread. Then to see it as a repeated complaint by other Flex and Focus owners online, and many at much less mileage than mine (also inside tread) makes me think it is an engineering issue, meaning the tires are set at a width apart that is extremely touchy and if I goes off by even a teeny bit you can be in the danger zone within a few thousand mi.

#8 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:35 AM

We've seen uneven wear problems with one tire or one axle but all four tires at once is rare.

What did the Tire shop say about the car's alignment, was it off very much? 

Did they align both axles and check for any wear items in the suspension after installing the new tires?

Were the shock absorbers checked?

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·