Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Roof rattle?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bacook

bacook

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:29 PM

My brand new flex with a Vista Roof has developed a very annoying rattle in the ceiling right behind the main moon roof. Even slight bumps will cause it to make noise. (Which is a shame since the rest of the Flex is amazingly smooth and quiet). I don't believe the noise to be in the moon roof mechanism, since I can make it go away by holding my hand to the headliner right behind the moon roof and the sound will stop.

I took my Flex in to the dealer yesterday to try and get it fixed. I'm not totally clear on what they did, but it made no difference to the noise. So I plan to return and drive with them and point out the noise and see if they can figure things out.

Has anyone else noticed a similar noise on their flex? Any hints on how to go about fixing it if the dealer is still stumped?

Thanks!

#2 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:32 AM

Unfortunately that's a pretty common problem. There are a couple of hidden clips that need to be pushed into the roof itself but they are very hard to line up and sometimes will break if you try to force them in when they're not lined up. If they're broken then can be replaced without replacing the whole headliner, but it's still a pretty big and difficult job.

#3 OFFLINE   wizofozus

wizofozus

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

I have Red with white roof limited, also have the vista roof. Had rattle in same spot. Like you found out lost cause to take to dealer. Fixed it myself. I have the roof mounted DVD also. Mine was rattling right where you said, if you look in the ceiling there it's likely not attached right. There are a few brackets there with double sided foam tape that are supposed to hold the ceiling up. I had 2007 Edge with same exact rattle problem, due to the vista roof. The ceiling in my Edge was falling, was about 1/4 inch away from the brackets that were supposed to hold it up. Had my Edge into dealer 7 times, was border line lemon law candidate. They would use some mystery glue to refasten the brackets to the ceiling, rattle would go away for maybe 1 month. Ceiling would fall again.

Get yourself some dense foam. Something like you find as packing in something that got shipped to you. I used foam from a toner cartridge box from work. rip/cut yourself little 1 inch strips. then carefully stuff them into the ceiling where the rattle is. try to see where the ceiling brackets are, put the foam there. don't pull on the ceiling to much. only had about 1/4 inch of play to pull it down to see whats in there. rattle gone for me.

#4 OFFLINE   bacook

bacook

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

Good news. I took my Flex back to the dealer today, and gave the tech a ride to show him exactly what I was hearing. A half hour later the noise is gone!!! In the labor notes they said "Roof trim came loose in back of sunroof. Resecure roof trim at rear of sunroof opening." Let's hope that whatever they did lasts longer than a month.

Thanks for the input.

#5 OFFLINE   Mr. Sparky

Mr. Sparky

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:21 AM

I'm glad they fixed the rattle. Our Flex had the same rattle (a box of tick-tacs sound in the moon roof) when we test drove it (we had test driven other Flexes and knew it wasn't right), and we made it a requirement before we would take delivery. The service department was able to fix it (amazing how that works when you make your purchase contingent on it!). Apparently, some spacers in the roof were missing (the service department had seen it before).

I worried it would return, but after 3K, it's still rattle free. Enjoy your new, rattle free Flex!

#6 OFFLINE   richmondflex

richmondflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:54 AM

My problem is more of squeak, rather than a rattle, but it's in the exact same spot. Could this be the same problem? I just dropped it off to my service guy this morning and didn't even have to take him on a ride because it does it every time the car door closes. Any additional tips that anybody has to offer are appreciated.

#7 OFFLINE   kiwee

kiwee

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:30 AM

rattle here too. ready to rip that b!tch out! argh!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 OFFLINE   richmondflex

richmondflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:57 AM

Can somebody check to see whether there is a TSB about the roof rattle?

#9 OFFLINE   richmondflex

richmondflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:58 AM

rattle here too. ready to rip that b!tch out! argh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiwee -- have you taken it to the dealer to have it looked at? If so, what did they say?

#10 OFFLINE   crgill

crgill

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

Kiwee -- have you taken it to the dealer to have it looked at? If so, what did they say?

Test drove (3) Flex Limiteds w/Vista roof in October '08, bought one. All headliners rattled like hell. I did not want to take it to the dealer and be the guinea pig, so I continued to wait for a TSB. Couldn't take it any longer, so I pushed up very hard on the headliner directly behind the moon roof - no rattle at all for 5 months now. Sounded like the retianer clip popped into place. May not have been fully seated upon installation on assembly line or loosened due to another assembly process. Whatever, no rattle. Hopefully you'll have same success.

#11 OFFLINE   richmondflex

richmondflex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:31 PM

Test drove (3) Flex Limiteds w/Vista roof in October '08, bought one. All headliners rattled like hell. I did not want to take it to the dealer and be the guinea pig, so I continued to wait for a TSB. Couldn't take it any longer, so I pushed up very hard on the headliner directly behind the moon roof - no rattle at all for 5 months now. Sounded like the retianer clip popped into place. May not have been fully seated upon installation on assembly line or loosened due to another assembly process. Whatever, no rattle. Hopefully you'll have same success.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

The Squeak Is Gone! Here is what it says on the service report:

"Road Test and verify squeak at center roof section. Remove DVD/Rear Entertainment Unit, both left A and B and C pillars. Left pull handle/coat hanger assembly. Partially drop headliner and inspect with aid from assistant to duplicate squeak. Found dislodged securing clip between DVD bracket and roof top. Correct/reseat clip and reinstall all loose items. Re-road test all OK."

This thing is rock-solid now. Never realized how loose the headliner was before. Thanks for everybody's help.

#12 OFFLINE   kiwee

kiwee

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 02:45 AM

nah, haven't bothered.
i'll mention it to them when i go in for servicing.
after seeing the whackload of clips that the flex is comprised of, i am not that shocked that one of those doo-hickies has come loose.

#13 OFFLINE   Mr. Sparky

Mr. Sparky

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:20 AM

At 5000 miles, our rattle is slowly waking back up! Right now it just happens on larger expansion joints, but I'm getting a bit wary of it getting worse.

#14 OFFLINE   zapper

zapper

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

Hi, Guy's see the attached link.

http://fordflexforum...__fromsearch__1

Foam fixed my rattle, try to avoid them from taking the headliner off could lead to bigger problems.

#15 OFFLINE   deflep71

deflep71

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:26 AM

I can't believe this problem goes back this far! I just got my new Flex with the Vista roof and it rattles like crazy. The dealer told me they couldn't and wouldn't do anything about it. They said Ford engineers are working to find a fix and one should happen soon. Now I see this problem goes back to October 2008 and there is still no fix!

Edited by deflep71, 27 June 2010 - 05:27 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   Teegill

Teegill

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:16 PM

My shiny new Flex has a rook "squeek" after about a week. It sounds like plastic on plastic from the shade clips on the vista rook to the connection (which is really flimsy BTW). Not sure the best fix...any ideas?

#17 OFFLINE   rideralberta2

rideralberta2

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Flex

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:51 PM

The visor on the rear Vista sunroof was rattling. So I stuck a felt pad on the edge of the metal bar of the pull out visor, which made it snug against the clip, and now the rattle is gone. 

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·