Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Heater pumps out cold air when idling

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Maestro

Maestro

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:54 AM

Took my car in this week for this issue at first the service adviser said the Flexs did not have this issue only the Ford Edges did, I told him to look up the TSB.

Get a call later said they had to get a part which is on back order and will be a few weeks, they said it as the electronic temperature control module for the heating system, sound like they might have found a fix other than completely flushing the system as the TSB and others have reported was done. I am pretty sure they did not do all of that since they did not have the car long before they called and said it could be picked and I would have to bring it back a few weeks from now when the part comes in.

#22 OFFLINE   Maestro

Maestro

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

Got more information and as I originally suspected it was a system control issue.

The part came in this week so did not have to wait weeks as they originally thought. They replaced a sensor module and controller attached to the condenser. They did not do all the other things that were done on other Flex and also Edges. They did not need to flush the cooling systems and make sure there were no air in the systems. Not sure why they though it was some sort of vapor lock situation. It smelled to much like a control system issue since it seem to work normal otherwise.

They said they need pulled the senor and controller and if it date code was in a range they were required to replace it. As it happened mine was in the range and they replaced it. They said the problem was the senor was providing a bad reading which cause the controller to mix in too much cool air into the heating and cooling system when it should have been just heat. It appears Ford is not using outside air to maintain a constant temp in the car, they are actually mixing warn and cool from the air conditioning and heating unit. They are probably running the compressor all the time now and at low idle the senor was not sensitive enough or was putting out a non-valid reading which the control was miss-interpreting.

Anyway, i am guess at the reason but they cause was a sensor on the air condition condenser.

#23 OFFLINE   chcraig

chcraig

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

Can Maestro or anyone else please confirm exactly what the dealership replaced to correct this problem.

I live in Winnipeg and the temp here is very cold pretty much all winter. My family and I have been dealing with the lack of heat the entire winter with numerous complains to Ford of Canada, the service manager and the owner of the dealership I purchased the vehicle from with no results. 2 all day visits to the dealership to drive way with no improvements what so ever and seems Ford of Canada is happy simply to say we're working on the problem.

First visit to the dealer they performed the 5 hour flush which did nothing returned to the dealership 20 minutes after picking the vehicle up to show them it was still blowing cold air and the service guy actually acknowledge the problem existed and said it was unacceptable.
Second visit they said they were going to replace the heater core but instead they tested the vehicle using ford test procedures (let vehicle run indoors at +15C for 20 minutes and test for heat) then had the nerve to tell me that the vehicle is producing more heat then what it is spec'd at. Who drives around with the heat pumping in +15C weather.

Anyways good to hear that others are able to get the heating problem corrected.

Very frustrated with Ford so far. Seems people here are more on the ball then my dealer.

TSB 09-21-3 mentions a evaporator temp sensor being replaced to correct the problem, I checked what I believe is the Evaporator Temp Sensor next to the gas pedal and it's white with a gray connector so I believe it might be the problem.

Thanks
chcraig

Edited by chcraig, 29 March 2010 - 01:53 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   Douglas Lint

Douglas Lint

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

No problems with this so far

#25 OFFLINE   Flagstaff

Flagstaff

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

I believe the problem maybe the water pump. At idle there seems to be not enough fluid moving through the heater core to keep it hot, but once you rev the engine, it heats up just fine. And with the new heater core we are sure the heater core is not plugged.

This week I am going to insist that they put a higher flow water pump in. Let me know anyone's thoughts.

Has this problem been resolved? Your analysis of low water flow through the heater core sounded so logical.

It's also somewhat like the problem of Diesel engines--they don't warm up at idle.

#26 OFFLINE   RIckO

RIckO

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:48 AM

We have 2009 Flex with loss of heat and AC at idle. We live in Sask and it gets cold and we feel it at a stop light. Anyway our dealer's tech owns a Flex and he says the problem is water flow. Ford ignored him so dealer authorized tech to install ancillary water pump and the problem was solved. My dealer is Lakeland Ford in Prince Albert, Sk.

Good luck Ford would not listen and it took old fashioned mechanic to fix their design. No wonder our cars cost so much!

#27 OFFLINE   chcraig

chcraig

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:15 PM

We have 2009 Flex with loss of heat and AC at idle. We live in Sask and it gets cold and we feel it at a stop light. Anyway our dealer's tech owns a Flex and he says the problem is water flow. Ford ignored him so dealer authorized tech to install ancillary water pump and the problem was solved. My dealer is Lakeland Ford in Prince Albert, Sk.

Good luck Ford would not listen and it took old fashioned mechanic to fix their design. No wonder our cars cost so much!

Ricko Thanks for the info

I've been fighting with Ford of Canada for over a year with no results. I've had the flush performed and the heater core replaced with no improvements, a total of 4 visit to the dealership and numerous complaints to FORD. I was even told at one point that the heater was running at a higher temp that what is is spec'ed at. I'm extremely disappointed with how FORD of Canada has handled this situation. I even mentioned this post to FORD and asked if they would contact your dealership to find out the details on how to fix the problem. FORD once again completely refused to even contact the dealership to see what was done to fix the problem. The lady even got rude and started lecturing me on the procedures at FORD and even blamed the dealership for the problem. FORD of Canada needs to listen to the people that fix these vehicles as FORD sure can't do it themselves.

My dealership on the other hand has been great, they agreed to contacted RICKO dealership to see what they could learn. They are working on the vehicle as I write this. I will provide and update once I have the vehicle back and it's cold enough here that I will be able to give it a good test.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Update to come.

Chcraig

Edited by chcraig, 26 November 2010 - 06:49 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   chcraig

chcraig

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:47 AM

Well what can I say the problem has been fixed and the problem was indeed water flow. As I mentioned in my previous post Ricko and his dealership deserve a big pat on the back for this one.

I drove around last night and every time I stopped at a light I had amazing heat (finally). A big thanks goes out to my dealership.

Here are the details that I can provide in case their are others that can convince their dealers to eat the cost of a $1000.00 plus job as FORD of Canada will not cover the cost to fix their own vehicles which are still on warranty.

SHAME ON FORD!!

What was done was the installation of an electric auxiliary water pump to assist with the water flow into the heater core.

PARTS NEEDED:

QTY PARTS # Description
---------------------------------------------------
1 PW-474 Pump Asy - WAT
1 YL3Z-19G390-AA Relay
3 YF-3263 CLAMP HOSE
8 1400E Heat CONN
2 LZAT0-15 Fuse

The exact installation procedures are beyond me but perhaps other dealerships can piece together what was done with the parts listed above.

Temperature reading where taken by the technician after the repair and temp reading were 140F while driving and 135F at idle. Reading were also taken after the vehicle had been siting in -20C weather for 10 minutes and reading were still at 135F from the center vents. This is far better than the -10C I had blowing into the cabin all last winter.

Again a big thanks goes out to Ricko, his dealer ship and of course My Dealership.

chcraig

Edited by chcraig, 26 November 2010 - 07:00 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   sklineman

sklineman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • Current Vehicle:2099 Ford Flex

Posted 03 October 2015 - 09:48 AM

I have this same problem and have ordered the pump and purchased the other parts.  Was wondering if anyone had pictures of the 2 installations done just to help me out.  I am guessing the pump is just installed on the heater core inlet hose close to the thermostat housing.  Any help would be great.  Thanx.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·