Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Wiper Freeze Up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Acolar

Acolar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

Anyone in the northern climates experience the wiper blade freezing up during cold/snow.
I found that both the driver & passenger side wiper blade hinges collect ice and do not allow the blade to fully contact the windshield contour.
Passenger side outboard was the worst.
Had climate system on defrost with little improvement.

Wondering if anyone has experimented with different wipers

Thanks.

#2 OFFLINE   NOBLEwolf

NOBLEwolf

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:52 PM

Anyone in the northern climates experience the wiper blade freezing up during cold/snow.
I found that both the driver & passenger side wiper blade hinges collect ice and do not allow the blade to fully contact the windshield contour.
Passenger side outboard was the worst.
Had climate system on defrost with little improvement.

Wondering if anyone has experimented with different wipers

Thanks.

....i agree with u ...was out last nite in - 12 C temp with strong winds / snow falling...wipers were freezing up...will be replacing them very shortly...any suggestions...Bosch microedge, Rain-XLatitude etc...i don't like using a dedicated winter blade...in the past i have found the Bosch blade do a decent job...

#3 OFFLINE   jgira12

jgira12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:53 PM

....i agree with u ...was out last nite in - 12 C temp with strong winds / snow falling...wipers were freezing up...will be replacing them very shortly...any suggestions...Bosch microedge, Rain-XLatitude etc...i don't like using a dedicated winter blade...in the past i have found the Bosch blade do a decent job...

I have the Bosche...my son works in the wiper engineering department and he is testing a set on one of my vehicles....we both agreed they aren't worth the extra $$$$

#4 OFFLINE   Cinnabob

Cinnabob

Cinnabob

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

Yep - changed mine out with the first snow/ice storm. Stock ones were crap. Changed them to Rain X type the next day and they have worked great.

#5 OFFLINE   Flex able

Flex able

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

Rainex wipers are great- pricey. I use the Rainex deicer washer fluid which seems to limit the icing on the stock blades & arms.

Edited by Flex able, 30 January 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   hoseclamp

hoseclamp

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

I've tried many of the latest "trend" wipers, even the best of those eventually collect snow/ice, or freeze to some degree and fail to sweep the complete area as expected. The best to date isn't one brand, but one style,

Posted Image

You want a teflon blade, and the rubber-covered frame. They do float at speed and don't flex as well on the more "curvey" style windshields, so I usually run wipers 2" shorted for better sweep pressure. If the flex is 24" and 22", I run 22" and 20". The rear, I use one there too, lots of snow buildup here.

Posted Image

I usually "tweak" the wiper's metal framing to flex better on the curves, not so much it doesn't do the flatter sections properly.

I haven't found a wiper that does snow, ice, and slush just like the oem's do rain in the summer time, but their styles are the best to date. The ridgid style that are basically plastic under tension,

Posted Image
are fine for the summer and may flex better over a windshield, but they don't do winter as well. I guess they are more of a compromise for those who strictly only want one wiper all year, they'll do both ok, but are not the best choice for either. A metal-framed teflon wiper will run circles around an innovation wiper in the summer.

Just like tires, best security are tires for the season, as wipers. Cheap insurance IMO.

Edited by hoseclamp, 01 February 2009 - 10:15 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Flex able

Flex able

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:37 AM

The rubber covered blades are ok- but where I live the fluctuating temperature conditions and periodic rain have moisture getting beneath the cover. The moisture freezes on and in the blade joints causing them to become stiff. The stiffness causes the wiper to miss areas on the windshield. It is a very difficult problem to resolve short of removing them and taking them indoors to thaw and dry. I have had much better luck with the open style blades overall.

#8 OFFLINE   hoseclamp

hoseclamp

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 10:41 AM

The rubber covered blades are ok- but where I live the fluctuating temperature conditions and periodic rain have moisture getting beneath the cover. The moisture freezes on and in the blade joints causing them to become stiff. The stiffness causes the wiper to miss areas on the windshield. It is a very difficult problem to resolve short of removing them and taking them indoors to thaw and dry. I have had much better luck with the open style blades overall.

I've never had that happen to one set of winter wipers, ever. We can be anywhere from -45c to +15c October through March, lots of fluctuation here too. I can see regional differences being somewhat a factor, but I would question the quality or age of wiper long before the style if that was happening. If moisture is getting in it's flawed. All I have to do is sweep off the snow, bang the wipers and done, they're clear until the vehicle sits and freezes overnight. New set in the spring, new set in the fall. To say the open style freezes less is a total contradiction, for my conditions, which is central BC, 6 months of the year.

#9 OFFLINE   Flex able

Flex able

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

They were Anco Winter blades. Several sets did the same thing when brand new. It got old after a while. One pair actually floated off the glass over 60mph.

#10 OFFLINE   hoseclamp

hoseclamp

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:46 PM

Wow that sucks!! I have had the floating issue, even lost a few at speed before, heheh, but as I mentioned before, a bit shorter wiper created more downward pressure and less floating. I still get the residual spillage after spraying washer fluid since thye're not so streamlined, but it's a small comrpomise since they don't freeze up while driving.

#11 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:27 AM

I've had winter wipers in the past and been happy, but the set I got this year, which I think are Anco as well, had the freeze up condition within a month of buying them and at temps only around 20F. Just flexing the blade by hand a couple times is enough to get them working again, but I'm a little dissapointed. i would by the same style again, but next time a different brand.

#12 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

Wow that sucks!! I have had the floating issue, even lost a few at speed before, heheh, but as I mentioned before, a bit shorter wiper created more downward pressure and less floating. I still get the residual spillage after spraying washer fluid since thye're not so streamlined, but it's a small comrpomise since they don't freeze up while driving.

You've lost a wiper blade while driving? Wow...

If by floating, you mean the wipers aren't contacting the winshield at higher speeds, then the Bosch Icons (or similar) tend to stay on the windshield better due to the fact that they're 'pre-curved' as well as the little 'spoiler' on them....it directs the wind to apply more downforce. Many companies are using them as stock now (not necessarily the Icons, but the 'spoiler' type). Not sure how they'd do in winter weather/a cold climate though.

#13 OFFLINE   roblectric

roblectric

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

Thats one creature comfort that Ford forgot (GM didnt)...heated washer fluid.

#14 OFFLINE   Harlangto

Harlangto

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:36 AM

I have been doing a 54 mile oneway commute for over 12 years and my experience, no matter what vehicle, has been a good winter blade and the rain-X keeps the window clear.
Apply 2 or 3 coats of rain-X, in the bottle, to the windshield every month during the winter season and use rain-X washer fluid.
We don't get the ice storms (except today) of the great northern territories but we get our share and using the rain-X keeps the usage of using your blades down and also keeps that road crap and mag-chloride from coating the glass.
I have noticed it keeps the blades cleaner because they are on the warm spot of the window and I feel it is a good safe recommendation.
I also just purchased the rain-X winter blades and they seem to flex against the glass better than the stiff ANCO blades.

I have never lost a blade doing 80+mph in a snow storm

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·