Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Rear Climate Controls - How should they behave?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   masterpilotguy

masterpilotguy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

So, I had a full load in my 2013 flex this past weekend and it was a cold morning, so naturally Heat was called for.  I let the rear passengers have control and started getting complaints that the middle row was not getting any heat, and the back row was being BBQ'd.  After I got home, I decided to investigate and found some interesting things.  I did find that there are floor vents under the front row seats that should blow air for the middle row passengers, when the heat temp was turned full and the fan was turned up and the lower vents were selected, there was no air blowing from these vents, the only rear vent blowing air was the one on the drivers side rear right next to the leg area of the rear seats, this air was extremely hot so much so that my wife (who was riding back there) was uncomfortable from the heat on her leg, her purse also happened to be sitting there and I felt the buckle on it after we got home and it was super hot (as in don't touch it too long or you would get burned). As she complained about this to the middle row passenger, the tried to turn the air to the roof vents/combo setting and it did not change anything, all air still came from that one back vent.  So back to my investigation, I found that if the heat temp was full high, I could not change to the roof/combo mode (the buttons illuminate as they are selected, but the air stayed on the floor).  If i turn the heat setting down just one click, then I could change where the air was coming from and set it to roof/combo setting with it following my selection.  I also found that turning it all the way cold locked the air to coming from the roof vents only and could not be set to the floor, if I set the temp just once click up from full cold, I again had control of where the air came from.  My question now is if this is proper and expected behavior? I am sure the vents under the front seats should be working, I took the car to the dealership this morning to talk to them about the problem and have an appointment with them tomorrow to look at it further, while at the dealership I was able to get air coming from the vents under the front seats, however there was one difference from my earlier test.  In my initial test, the engine was actually running, when at the dealership the engine was off, but the ignition was turned on allowing the fans to operate, perhaps with the engine off the vacuum system is not running and therefor the floor vents under the front seats were not being blocked off?  Any insight on these problems would be very welcomed, sorry for the long post.

#2 OFFLINE   masterpilotguy

masterpilotguy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

For anyone else wondering, I got an answer from the shop.  Those vents that are under the front seats to blow air for the second row passengers are controlled by the front controls not the rear controls, seems like really poor design, but I checked and verified that it does work that way.  Doesn't really make sense, but that is how it works.

#3 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:08 AM

Yep, I was just about to post the same thing, the vents under the front seats come from the front system, just like every other car that's sold in the market today.  If you wanted it to come from the rear system, you have to raise up the second row floor to run the air from the back to the front.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·