Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

snow, snow, snow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jim

Jim

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:04 AM

Yesterday was the first real snow challenge my AWD Flex has faced this year. After driving Jeep Grand Cherokees for the past decade I have to say that while the AWD handles the snow differently, it handles it very well. The jeep would simply plow through the white stuff with all four wheels spinning and the Flex feels like it simply walks through it. Living in Canada with a business that has me on the roads (and many country and cottage roads at that) very frequently, i was a little concerned with the capability of AWD compared to four wheel drive. My concerns, i have discovered, were unfounded. I highly recommend the AWD option.

Edited by Jim, 20 December 2008 - 05:05 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   Lunchbox

Lunchbox

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:25 PM

When we had our last dump of snow here in Victoria BC (I know I know.... yes Victoria) I was a little concerned that I no longer had my 2008 F150 FX4 4x4. Even when I got in my Flex, and was comforted by all the class it has to offer. I started it up and waited for the seats to warm up and the windows to clear....then off I went. By the end of my block I reasoned with myself that there must be a lack of snow on my street and that I couldnt believe there was no ice, and this thought was followed by the next street and the next and the next..... So I decided to find a icy snow filled parking lot, the one I picked in particular was only enterable via a steep hill. I stopped on the steep hill took a deep breath and thought "Here she goes" To my absolute amazement, my Flex is an absolute dream! No wheel spin just business. Its certainly not a rock crawler but such a great handling AWD vehicle in even really crappy conditions. I highly recommend the AWD option I could agree more with Jim. BTW Jim where about are you in Canada?

#3 OFFLINE   Jim

Jim

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

I live in Peterborough Ontario. We certainly see our share of snow here.

#4 OFFLINE   hoseclamp

hoseclamp

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

I picked up the wife's Limited Dec 28th in North Van, lots of snow around, spent a week driving a Taurus X awd with bald Pirellis, fine for starting but cornering and braking were just scarey. The Hankooks were a pleasant surprise, controlable and really worked at finding traction. The drive up through the Fraser Canyon Dec 30th was done in a blizzard, took 13 1/2 hours to get back to Vanderhoof when it usually takes 8 1/2 - 9 in the summer. Lots of vehicles on the road, the Flex did a great job, very pleased.

Not much luck finding winter tires for it, but I put on Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snows, very pleased with them. Took it up into one of my cut blocks in the bush, glare ice, snow, high cross winds, drifts, ran some sections up to 60mph, perfectly controllable.

Posted Image

Posted Image

They are H speed rated, I figured they'd be too hard to make descent traction without studs but they've turned out to very confident inspiring, very controllable. I's run them on my truck if I had the size to do it.

#5 OFFLINE   tombstone81

tombstone81

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

I picked up the wife's Limited Dec 28th in North Van, lots of snow around, spent a week driving a Taurus X awd with bald Pirellis, fine for starting but cornering and braking were just scarey. The Hankooks were a pleasant surprise, controlable and really worked at finding traction. The drive up through the Fraser Canyon Dec 30th was done in a blizzard, took 13 1/2 hours to get back to Vanderhoof when it usually takes 8 1/2 - 9 in the summer. Lots of vehicles on the road, the Flex did a great job, very pleased.

Not much luck finding winter tires for it, but I put on Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snows, very pleased with them. Took it up into one of my cut blocks in the bush, glare ice, snow, high cross winds, drifts, ran some sections up to 60mph, perfectly controllable.

Posted Image

Posted Image

They are H speed rated, I figured they'd be too hard to make descent traction without studs but they've turned out to very confident inspiring, very controllable. I's run them on my truck if I had the size to do it.

Is that a Cinnamon Flex, hoseclamp? I didn't see a Cinnamon on the lot at Cam Clark Ford when I was in North Van...but maybe it came in after I had already factory ordered! Wish I would have seen you passing through PG on your way to the 'Hoof...it would be nice to see a few more Flexes driving around here. In fact I haven't seen ANY yet on the road; just the white woody that PG Motors has in the showroom. My build date is February 23rd so I should have her around the middle of March. Can't wait...but it might be a little late by then to truly enjoy the power of the AWD unless we get a late blast of winter.

#6 OFFLINE   hoseclamp

hoseclamp

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:10 PM

Is that a Cinnamon Flex, hoseclamp? I didn't see a Cinnamon on the lot at Cam Clark Ford when I was in North Van...but maybe it came in after I had already factory ordered! Wish I would have seen you passing through PG on your way to the 'Hoof...it would be nice to see a few more Flexes driving around here. In fact I haven't seen ANY yet on the road; just the white woody that PG Motors has in the showroom. My build date is February 23rd so I should have her around the middle of March. Can't wait...but it might be a little late by then to truly enjoy the power of the AWD unless we get a late blast of winter.

It's a sterling grey Limited, missing only the trailer towing group III package and 20" wheels, here's a shot of it right out in front of Cam Clark's

Posted Image

I've seen a few Flex's driving around, saw a grey one just like ours but had the white roof, bleackkkk. Not a fan of the tu-tone, haven't seen one I like yet that was. Solid colors, many look good, IMO of course!! The awd works very nice, we had about 19" of snow starting last Sunday morning to Monday noon, the Flex does a very nice job with some descent tires.

I usually run studded Nokians on the wife's vehicles since she hauls around the kids, but I had no risk trying out the Pirelli's, if I didn't like them 100% refund from the local shop. Can't go wrong there!!

Edited by hoseclamp, 04 February 2009 - 08:11 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   jackflash

jackflash

Flex-a-holic

• Ford Flex Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

Thanks for sharing your tire experience. It will help me make a decision. :)

#8 OFFLINE   Beadhead

Beadhead

Beadhead

• Ford Flex Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:54 AM

I have had a set of Pirelli Scorpion's on my Mercury Marauder for the past four winters. They are amazing tires, very robust with good traction on both ice and snow, even on my rear drive beast! Highly recommended.

#9 OFFLINE   Gandalf_Sr

Gandalf_Sr

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:55 AM

Before I decided on the Flex Ltd AWD, I took a test drive in about 8 inches of snow in our sub-division last February. As others have reported, the Flex seems very happy in snow with good handling and excellent braking; all on the stock tires.

I've had mine since April 09

With the lowish ground clearance, it's obviously not an off-roader but for the Michigan winters, it looks like a winner.

It's been a long time since I looked forward to winter ;)

Edited by Gandalf_Sr, 16 November 2009 - 05:56 AM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·