Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Torque steer...anyone notice this?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgira12

jgira12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

Took one out for a spin as part of the leasing process and tromped the accel pedal hard on the e-way...steering wheel lurched to the right, which surprised me at first, but then I got used to it knowing it was there. Had this condition in a Probe years ago. I haven't seen any posts mentioning this...anyone confirm? Picking car up Monday..3 year lease A-plan with lots of rebates.

#2 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:37 PM

I noticed the torque steer when I first test drove one, but maybe it being the first FWD car I've driven may have made me notice it more. That is part of why I decided to order AWD for my Flex - it virtually eliminates the torque steer.

#3 OFFLINE   NOBLEwolf

NOBLEwolf

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:11 AM

I noticed the torque steer when I first test drove one, but maybe it being the first FWD car I've driven may have made me notice it more. That is part of why I decided to order AWD for my Flex - it virtually eliminates the torque steer.

....you can add me to the list...i also drove both models & found the torque steer - in the FWD - to be excessive esp. for such a large car as this is, never-the-less i don't think it is a problem under normal driving, but IMO, if you beat on it alot esp. coming out of corners, down the road you may have front suspension & steering problems...we shall see - the AWD really impressed me - totally different ' feel ' & no torque steer at all...so i ordered a AWD - good luck with your FWD model

#4 OFFLINE   smokie

smokie

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:17 AM

....you can add me to the list...i also drove both models & found the torque steer - in the FWD - to be excessive esp. for such a large car as this is, never-the-less i don't think it is a problem under normal driving, but IMO, if you beat on it alot esp. coming out of corners, down the road you may have front suspension & steering problems...we shall see - the AWD really impressed me - totally different ' feel ' & no torque steer at all...so i ordered a AWD - good luck with your FWD model

I have a FWD model and is true, if you flogged it with the wheels turned it does a very weird thing that you feel in the steering wheel and then the traction control seems to take over and it sways before it straightens out. It also does something similar on a straight line but as pronounced.

It surprises me that with such large tires "19 inches" it has the power to do this. I already warned my wife about it since it is her daily driver, we are both used to driving V-8 powered RWD cars that kick out the rear on a power turn so we will adjust. It still not nearly as bad as what happens when we get careless with my 512 HP car.

#5 OFFLINE   SHOEMAN

SHOEMAN

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

I have a limited FWD and live in Toronto . We have about a foot of snow that has fallen in the last 3 days .I never really did notice alot of torque steer but some .I will say that the WINTER handling of the FWD with the stock all season tires is TERRIBLE and I am going to but winter tires this week . This car is all over the road . I had a 2007 all wheel drive escape ,and figured that I did not need the AWD so I bought the FWD . Hope the new tires make the difference or I will take a hit a get a AWD ,LOVE THE CAR AND EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT .

#6 OFFLINE   NOBLEwolf

NOBLEwolf

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

I have a limited FWD and live in Toronto . We have about a foot of snow that has fallen in the last 3 days .I never really did notice alot of torque steer but some .I will say that the WINTER handling of the FWD with the stock all season tires is TERRIBLE and I am going to but winter tires this week . This car is all over the road . I had a 2007 all wheel drive escape ,and figured that I did not need the AWD so I bought the FWD . Hope the new tires make the difference or I will take a hit a get a AWD ,LOVE THE CAR AND EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT .

....nice to hear some feed-back on FWD vs AWD....hey SHOEMAN, when i first drove the FWD model, it reminded me of the early Honda Civics,
where you really had to hold on the steering wheel, esp coming out of turns, whereas the early VW Rabbits / Jettas / Sciroccos never had as much pull - i eventually ended up driving alot of VW products because of this pull - i think that the GERMANS had more of a handle on the FWD Dynamics of cars than anyone else at that time...today the FWD cars are much more advanced and car makers have learned to reduce it - the FWD Flex model got me thinking that, in with it's long wheelbase, 260 + hp at the front wheels only, the rear end would slide out more than you would like esp during hard turns, and /or 'plow' in wet /snowy conditions...IMO...WINTER tires ARE A MUST for the FWD model - I thought that the AWD which i test drove just felt better esp in the corners with pretty much no torque steer & living in Southern Ontario, the weather can get nasty at times, thus AWD is the way to go IMO - i have always had Winter Tires on all my vehicles so this one will also - I have an AWD LIMITED on order & already have Winter Tires - there is not much to choose from in the 19" size - PIRELLI has the 'SCORPIAN ICE & SNOW - P235/55Rx19 (factory size)...looking forward to enjoying my new ride - Cheers...!!!

#7 OFFLINE   SHOEMAN

SHOEMAN

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:18 PM

....nice to hear some feed-back on FWD vs AWD....hey SHOEMAN, when i first drove the FWD model, it reminded me of the early Honda Civics,
where you really had to hold on the steering wheel, esp coming out of turns, whereas the early VW Rabbits / Jettas / Sciroccos never had as much pull - i eventually ended up driving alot of VW products because of this pull - i think that the GERMANS had more of a handle on the FWD Dynamics of cars than anyone else at that time...today the FWD cars are much more advanced and car makers have learned to reduce it - the FWD Flex model got me thinking that, in with it's long wheelbase, 260 + hp at the front wheels only, the rear end would slide out more than you would like esp during hard turns, and /or 'plow' in wet /snowy conditions...IMO...WINTER tires ARE A MUST for the FWD model - I thought that the AWD which i test drove just felt better esp in the corners with pretty much no torque steer & living in Southern Ontario, the weather can get nasty at times, thus AWD is the way to go IMO - i have always had Winter Tires on all my vehicles so this one will also - I have an AWD LIMITED on order & already have Winter Tires - there is not much to choose from in the 19" size - PIRELLI has the 'SCORPIAN ICE & SNOW - P235/55Rx19 (factory size)...looking forward to enjoying my new ride - Cheers...!!!

#8 OFFLINE   SHOEMAN

SHOEMAN

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

I think that I am going to order a set of Blizzaks ,I have talked to a few people that have this tire on an Enclave and they love them .Also I was told to go down to a 18 inch tire from my 19s for two reasons . To give more clearance in the wheel well and the 18s give a wider tire diameter as well for a more hugging tire.

#9 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:24 AM

I think that I am going to order a set of Blizzaks ,I have talked to a few people that have this tire on an Enclave and they love them .Also I was told to go down to a 18 inch tire from my 19s for two reasons . To give more clearance in the wheel well and the 18s give a wider tire diameter as well for a more hugging tire.

If you're going to get new wheels, you might as well go to a 17in. The 17in is available on the Flex specifically for areas that require chains. I think you could then easily find a set of used 17in wheels from a Taurus or Ford 500, then put a set of winter tires in the stock 17in size - 235/60-17

#10 OFFLINE   jgira12

jgira12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:03 PM

Did I strike a nerve? LOL! Nice to see some action on this forum. I wish I had driven an AWD before making my deal....I have the car now...picked it up yesterday in the crappy snow...what a shame to get it so dirty on the way home. I have a 36 month lease, so I won't be buying any tires to address the winter weather. Going in a straight line most of the time anyway (trips to Florida 2x/year) so, I should be able to tolerate the torque steer. What is really odd to me is I read all of the reviews in the car mags and none of them mentioned this condition...weird! Happy Holidays to all of you; let's see your modded Flexes in the new year!

Jerry
Pinckney, MI

#11 OFFLINE   jgira12

jgira12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

I have a FWD model and is true, if you flogged it with the wheels turned it does a very weird thing that you feel in the steering wheel and then the traction control seems to take over and it sways before it straightens out. It also does something similar on a straight line but as pronounced.

It surprises me that with such large tires "19 inches" it has the power to do this. I already warned my wife about it since it is her daily driver, we are both used to driving V-8 powered RWD cars that kick out the rear on a power turn so we will adjust. It still not nearly as bad as what happens when we get careless with my 512 HP car.

Amen...I hear ya on the RWD v8s. What is your racer? I have a C5 vette that puts all the torque to the rear wheels...none to the steering column! :D :shift: Right now the garage looks cool with the Flex and the C5....can't wait to mod the Flex a bit.

#12 OFFLINE   rmc523

rmc523

Ford Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:36 PM

Nice to see some action on this forum.
Going in a straight line most of the time anyway (trips to Florida 2x/year) so, I should be able to tolerate the torque steer. What is really odd to me is I read all of the reviews in the car mags and none of them mentioned this condition...weird!

The increased activity could be a result of 1) more Flex owners or 2) more people hearing about the site, or both.

And you'll be turning within cities and stuff though, unless it's just a "trip" car.

My guess would be that the magazines don't really mention it because they're used to driving FWD cars, whereas some of us Flex owners (myself included) are not. I've never driven a FWD vehicle before the Flex, but ordered AWD, which pretty much eliminates the torque steer, thankfully.

#13 OFFLINE   smokie

smokie

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:36 AM

Amen...I hear ya on the RWD v8s. What is your racer? I have a C5 vette that puts all the torque to the rear wheels...none to the steering column! :D :shift: Right now the garage looks cool with the Flex and the C5....can't wait to mod the Flex a bit.

Most people would not consider it a racer...but it's a S/C Mercury Marauder with an Eaton blower and a little exhaust work, I can drive 5 people in comfort to the track, lined it up in street tires do a 12.7 @ 108 mph with a 1.85 60' and drive back home in full comfort. Race weight 4410 pounds...gotta love it.

Edited by smokie, 24 December 2008 - 01:51 PM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·