Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Squealing, break dust and overheating

breaks overheating replacement

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Josh Misla

Josh Misla

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

Hey everyone. I love my 2010 flex limited, but I am so frustrated with it lately. We do drive the flex around a lot from Toronto to NYC almost monthly, Only recently have we begun to have issues with the brakes. Squealing and break dust started to appear and similarly to my Mazda we replaced the brake pads and the rear rotars, we replaced the parts in the winter. This seemed to quelch the noise for a bit until it stated getting warmer now the noise is much louder and the dust has almost weekly covering the wheels. I have tried everything, including considering the ball bearing needing replacement... which I cannot do myself. I have stated to buy brake cleaning fluid spay in packs and keeping them in the car for short trips to apply when parked and now the rear brakes are overheating and causing great pillows of smoke. Has anyone had this happen or know what could potentially be causeing this horrendous LOUD squealing noise? How do I fix it?
PS the noise is almost a daily occurance and happens spontaniously and will often go away but come back louder. Going uphill makes the noise go away as does applying brakes. Once the break pressure is removed  and the car starts moving the sound comes back. Turning also sometimes makes the noise go away. I am getting not nice stares often when I drive a vehicle I was once proud to own.  
Help, embarassed to drive
-Josh

Edited by Josh Misla, 27 June 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#2 OFFLINE   Pizboin

Pizboin

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 ford flex sel awd

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

Rear brakes are dragging, there was a tsb for 09 and 10. However my 2012 is doing it. Took of pads and cleaned the grooves they sit in with dremel and greased just the grooves(not brakes). Fixed it for now. Its like the pads dont fit in caliper correctly and any corrossion freezes them
  • Josh Misla likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

Squealing brakes (not breaks!) have been a big issue on Flex.  There have been numerous TSBs and updated parts.  If you haven't changed the anchor brackets then you need to get that done.  What's odd is that you didn't have the problems until recently, most people have the problem pretty early on. 

#4 OFFLINE   fushion243

fushion243

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Flex SEL 2011

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

My 2011 brakes started making noise, sqeeking as well as a grinding sound.  Before reading everything on the forum, I replaced the front pads with high valued ceramics.  I never had the rotors turned, I greesed the slides folks say don't greese.  We have had the most wet spring and summer and my noise is gone and has been for 6 months.  I assume that the motorcraft parts have too much metallic components and they rust and squeel.  I didn't buy the racing ceramics, but I easily spent $150 for the two sets of front pads.  I'd encourage folks to look into ceramics as the answer to these issues.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·