Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

What I like and dislike about the Flex

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Recommend? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you recommend the Flex?

1. Yes (34 votes [97.14%])

Percentage of vote: 97.14%

2. No (1 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:48 AM

Hi Again! 

If someone were to walk up to you and ask you about your Flex, what would you tell them?   My other thread is about potential issues a new buyer might run across, but here in this thread, How would you sell a Flex to someone? 

Keep it civil please!   What you like, what dont you like, and what do you think Ford can do to improve the Flex. 

Would you recommend one. 

What I like, room for 7, and no matter which seat a tall person is sitting in, they are comfortable. It has a nice ride, and the Ecoboost kicks butt while still getting decent gas mileage. It handles well, and does a decent job towing. Very versatile in how you can arrange the seats to carry items, and it just looks Unique. 

What I dislike, the third row power seats, they can be annoying in their operation, and I found the manual ones I had in the 2010 were quicker to flip around, and also no way to manually move them.  I really cant find any other flaws than that. 

Improvements, they can add Lane Keeping and auto highbeams, and put manual controls on the third row Just in case!   The first two are features I have in the new Fusion. 

#2 OFFLINE   epbog

epbog

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 7 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex AWD Limited EB

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:10 PM

I have consistently had friends coming up to me after buying this Flex to check it out. Almost everyone didn't know about them and really likes it. My kids love to tell/show people all of the features of the Flex; NAV, power hatch, Vista Roof, Ecoboost........ If Ford would advertise better and make this model more well known, it would sell itself!!

#3 OFFLINE   Barrett Smith

Barrett Smith

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex Limited, 99 Dodge Durango SLT, 94 GMC Z71 Ext Cab, 95 Jeep Wrangler "American Pride"

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

I have found the lack of storage space annoying as well as the relatively small gas tank.

I wish they had made the spare tire well larger to allow storing emergency items and such.

The reason we bought it was due to the need for leg room for me (6'7" and my sons who at 13 are already starving for leg room. The Flex provides plenty of leg and shoulder space along with many amenities and creature comforts, including refrigerator, GPS, headrest mounted DVDs, Sync and many others.

The good is it provides better economy than our 99 Durango with 360 C.i. (5.9 ltr) which we ordered new in 99 just before the birth of out twin boys who are now 13.  It provided great power for towing and getting out of the way and plenty of storage space for items such as trailer plugs, jumper cables, headphones, DVDs  etc.

#4 OFFLINE   jbosey

jbosey

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 6 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Flex Limited

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

Just purchased a 2013 limited. Why did I purchase? The wife wanted to be able to take the grandkids comfortably on trips.  I wanted a larger vehicle that could get fair mpg and that I could drive or ride in comfortably on trips.  I rode to lunch with the owner of the company where I work in his Flex Limited and after that short ride I knew that it was the vehicle for us.  It was so smooth and comfortable and was loaded with the neatest technology.  What a vehicle.  

PROS - Room/Comfort/Technology/Uniqueness/MPG/Smooth shifting trans

I have only had it for a day, so I do not know the CONS yet, except when I looked at the engine for the first time I put a small dent in the front edge of the hood when I was shutting the hood. I was furious about this, there is very light metal on that hood! I was also a little let down with the lack of space for my left leg while driving, I am used to straighting it out in the pickup truck.  So far I am very happy with the truck and the deal I got.

• robertlane likes this

#5 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

Just purchased a 2013 limited. Why did I purchase? The wife wanted to be able to take the grandkids comfortably on trips.  I wanted a larger vehicle that could get fair mpg and that I could drive or ride in comfortably on trips.  I rode to lunch with the owner of the company where I work in his Flex Limited and after that short ride I knew that it was the vehicle for us.  It was so smooth and comfortable and was loaded with the neatest technology.  What a vehicle.  

PROS - Room/Comfort/Technology/Uniqueness/MPG/Smooth shifting trans

I have only had it for a day, so I do not know the CONS yet, except when I looked at the engine for the first time I put a small dent in the front edge of the hood when I was shutting the hood. I was furious about this, there is very light metal on that hood! I was also a little let down with the lack of space for my left leg while driving, I am used to straighting it out in the pickup truck.  So far I am very happy with the truck and the deal I got.

Thanks for taking the time to submit your review ;)

#6 OFFLINE   johnny rocket

johnny rocket

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 38 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Flex Limited EB

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Our family is 5 people.  Two adults and 3 little ones, 9, 13, and 16.  We were leasing a 2011 Eco-Boost, fully loaded, captains chairs in the back minus only the fridge.  The lease ran out, so we purchased a 2013 Eco-Boost, fully loaded, minus the captains chairs, bench seat with fold down arm rest in the center.  This worked better as we can seat 5 people in the first and second row, and pile all of our suit cases in the third row.  We down't have a luggage rack over the Vista roof.

Pros -

1.  It looks retro.  Utilitarian.  From the side, the lines are square and straight, all day, like the 50's cars.  The look is either you hate it or love it, and I love it! 

2.  It is loaded with great safety stuff.  Dynamic stability control for anti-roll over.  All wheel drive.  Auto following cruise control, heads up warning lights and tone for collision warning.  The side mirrows have little yellow lights which warns you when it's not safe to change lanes, and when in reverse, a backup camera with rear back/side looking sensors which alert you when a car is approaching or you are gonna run into something.

3.  The engine is strong like bull.  The Eco-Boost was clocked out at 0-60 in less than 6 secs (5.999).  It feels quick for a 4800lb car.  Our 2004 Durango could tow 9000 lbs, but clocked at 0-60 in 8secs.

4.  The turbo lag is very minimal, and at any speed, it gets up and pulls like a freight train.

5.  We have the factory tow package, and have the anti sway turned on.  The car tracks on the highway very heavy and steady, like a Lincoln Town Car.

6.  The stereo sounds supurb, the nav system and all of the phone, ipod, voice recognition interface works very adequately.

7.  It has air conditioned front seats...

8.  I like the quality fit and finish.

9.  Best car overall I have ever owned!

Cons -

1.  It could have more storage space like our 2008 Chrysler Town and Country Minivan.

2.  The Town and Country Minivan was guttless and wanted to boat over around any turns...

JR

Edited by johnny rocket, 11 November 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Bossed

Bossed

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Flex

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

Our family just purchased a new 2013 SEL loaded. We drove a mini van for 8yrs and i hated it, always dreaded driving it cause it was too small, no legroom. I liked the Flex in looks when they came out, and I rented one for a trip a couple of years ago. I LOVED IT!!!!! Ever since then, I knew a Flex would be perfect for us. The problem I had, was the wife didn't like the looks, and said "no way I'm driving that". Well, the van had reached its end for us and a new car was in order, long story short, we bought the Flex, and so far even the wife likes it, what an awesome, comfortable, stylish, (love the new front grill), good riding, classy looking interior vehicle. Did I mention how COMFORTABLE it is . . . . . . .

Bossed

#8 OFFLINE   stiege

stiege

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Titanium Ecoboost

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

I like the roominess and acceleration.  I dislike the transmission and the cooling fans.

Jason

#9 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

I like the roominess and acceleration.  I dislike the transmission and the cooling fans.

Jason

What do you mean about the cooling fans? The noise after shut down or something else?

#10 OFFLINE   scca_stang

scca_stang

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

Our family just purchased a new 2013 SEL loaded. We drove a mini van for 8yrs and i hated it, always dreaded driving it cause it was too small, no legroom. I liked the Flex in looks when they came out, and I rented one for a trip a couple of years ago. I LOVED IT!!!!! Ever since then, I knew a Flex would be perfect for us. The problem I had, was the wife didn't like the looks, and said "no way I'm driving that". Well, the van had reached its end for us and a new car was in order, long story short, we bought the Flex, and so far even the wife likes it, what an awesome, comfortable, stylish, (love the new front grill), good riding, classy looking interior vehicle. Did I mention how COMFORTABLE it is . . . . . . .

Bossed

My story is very sililar to yours..... We have had several SUV type trucks (chevy blazer, chevy tahoe, ford explorer, ect). I have also had 2 mini vans and they seem way more practical than the SUV's unless you need the offroad capability.

I rented a 2013 Limited for our trip to the smokey mountains and my wife was embarrassed to have to right in such an "ugly" car. I love the looks of it, but she hated it.

it was such a capable and comfortable car on our trip that my wife completely forgot about how "ugly"........... in her own words "on that trip, I fell in love with it".

we started shopping for one almost immediately, and ended up buying a used 2010 SEL (gotta get what you can afford).

Pro's: people space, cargo space (when 3rd row folded down), versatility, comfort, cool "gadgets", sweet looks, great fuel mileage, good power (even in the NA 3.5l),

Con's: wish I had more power (should have bought the ecoboost), wish I had the AWD, wish I had the headrest DVD's; initial purchase cost (when new)

so basicaly, the only cons I have are things that were available, but didnt get.

#11 OFFLINE   Roguemobile

Roguemobile

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 ford flex ltd

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:11 PM

I just purchased a black on black limited with the appearance package. I think the vehicle looks sharp and the interior is well done. I love the fit and finish along with the storage and utility of the vehicle.

I dislike the lack of auto up and done window controls from the drivers door.

All in all, a fantastic vehicle and it made me a believer in Ford again.

#12 OFFLINE   flexitexi

flexitexi

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Flex Limited

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:28 AM

We are on our second Ford Flex now. This latest model, 2013 Limited, has almost all the bells and whistles. Our previous model and this one are with AWD, which is just excellent. If you live in a country where you get snow and ice I highly recommend this feature. We don't have any complaints worth listing just yet. It is the most comfortable car we have ever had. Driving around in our Ford Flex is like driving around in our easy chairs in a spacious living room. Actually it is even better than that. Our easy chairs at home do not have heated and air conditioned seats like our Flex has. We have always been Ford believers. It's true, at Ford, quality is always job 1. :)

#13 OFFLINE   Iesha Brown

Iesha Brown

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

I just purchased a Ford Flex 2010 SEL and I love it. I was kind of stuck for a moment not sure I wanted to get it. Its loaded with all kinds of nice gadgets. Since i've only had it for one day, I have no Cons. The ride is smooth, spacious, an eye catcher. Every time i get out the flex all eyes are on me. I think the only con would be that I don't have AWD, Oh and the crazy vista sun roof, but I'm going just get some good snow tires for next winter season. As far as the sun roof, i'll be okay..

#14 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 05:44 PM

Its good to see all the nice comments and the votes all positive.   Sadly my Darth Vagon is no more. It got wreck in a whiteout when we hit a car that had hit another car and was sitting in the road with no hazards on. We then got hit from behind when another vehicle entered the whiteout moments later.  It was just like the one described by Rouge above.  I could not find one like it anywhere not even in a new 14 model, so we are getting an MKT instead. Just as good as the Flex, slightly less room in the back, but hey, its a Lincoln! :)

Would I recommend a Flex, Hell yeah, it saved our lives! We walked away with a few bruises and sore muscles, the car took all the energy and kept us safe.

#15 OFFLINE   Shelly Rendon

Shelly Rendon

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

Hi everyone! What I like about my 2009 Flex is how spacious it is & that it carries a smooth ride. It does have some good power for a V6, however, what I dislike about it is as soon as I reached the mileage point for my Flex, everything has begun to come apart & choosing to fix things on my own has become such a mission because so many of the parts are never in stock, not even at the dealership which is usually twice as high. Other than that, my Flex tends to hurt our eardrums when I reach a certain speed with one window is cracked open( like when your on a plane & having to chew gum prior liftoff or landing) Thanks

#16 OFFLINE   adamjeeps

adamjeeps

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKT Ecoboost

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

Shelly if you would also open a front window slightly it would cure your problem. Most all vehicles now days get the "helicopter" effect when only one back window is down. 

Welcome to the forum!

#17 OFFLINE   Johnk

Johnk

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:Flex 2010

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:54 PM

First Flex, 2010 Limited, Ecoboost, loaded, white tricoat paint, used with 60k. At 6'9" I have to shop for what I can fit in. Have been driving a custom van but my wife at 5'2" has a hard time seeing out of it. In 1974 bought a new Checker Marathon, commonly known as a cab, as in "Yellow Cab". There hasn't been a car made since with that kind of head and legroom front or back. Alas out of business in the late 70's.
The Flex - Straight sides vertical and horizontal declare "There is room in here". Lots of head and legroom but not much foot room especially with the pedals full forward.
With the drivers seat full back I can sit in the second row without my knees hitting the back of the front seat. Only car I know of that can boast that.
Barn door doors front and rear make for the easiest access and egress of any car I have driven. The wrap under doors leave the rocker panel area clean so your not getting your clothes dirty when getting in and out.
We love the car.
Cons: Foot room in the driver area but probably not much of a problem for average sized people. A way to small fuel tank for the fuel economy of this car. It should have at least a 25 Gal. tank. I really dislike stopping for gas. Ceiling mounted entertainment consul squeaks a lot on rougher roads and when the screen is being viewed blocks the rear view mirror. Navigation: entering address or searching for a location. Gave up, its easier using my iPhone. Low ground clearance for an AWD vehicle but prefer it for my wife, easier access. The telescoping steering wheel is about 4" short of where I need it.
Looking forward to my next Flex if they are still making them.
  • GrySql likes this

#18 OFFLINE   wheelruts

wheelruts

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Flex Limited 2WD

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:05 AM

Well, I am a 70 plus senior citizen and this is our first ford product. I must say I've been very impressed with the Flex. It is comfortable, roomy and flexible 

(as a family vehicle and cargo carrier). One of our requirements was that the vehicle could be towed as we travel a lot and needed a vehicle we could tow behind our motor home. Only have owned it about six months and still getting to know and operate all the features.

Have noted that Ford could have done a better job on towing instructions and battery function (had to install a quick disconnect in order to keep power up). Also would like to see a larger gas tank. 

• GrySql likes this

#19 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:00 PM

I'll bet its handy when you get the RV parked.

#20 OFFLINE   mickey franklin

mickey franklin

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Flex SEL

Posted 26 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

Love the ergonomics of this car.  Great on road trips.  Little rough on bumps.  One big problem:  Stinky smell upon hard acceleration;  Been in shop twice before they acknowledged problem:  After I took the Ford manual fix for the problem to them.  The fix is to remove the rear bumper and glued patches over the ventilation system to keep the smell from coming into the car. Now I don t have the normal ventilation I am suppose to have, and the cause of the small still exist, and the smell is still coming into the car.  Love the car but disappointed in ford service.  Talking to a lawyer now.  Many of these cars have this problem and Ford is ignoring it, hoping we will go away. Have owned many Fords over the years and this is my last one.  This problem popped up at 34,000 miles.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·