Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

What Potential Flex buyers should look for

Problems and concerns

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:26 AM

Greeting fellow Flexers! 

We always have people looking to find out, What problems do they have?,  so I think it might be a good idea to post actual problems owners have had with their Flex.  First model year was 2009, and some improvements were made in the following years, so which model year is better is also asked. 

For example, in 2009 the steering wheel was fixed, and it really needed to telescope, and in 2010, they did just that, made it telescopic.  In 2010 they also released the Ecoboost model which was available starting in the SEL trim. 

So what I ask from owners is simple.  List the following.

Model year

When purchased

New/Used

Model (SE, SEL, Limited, SEL EB, Limited EB, Titanium)

Problem

Repaired (Yes, No)

Resolution to problem (what was fixed)

Also a brief overview of what you have/had issues with in general.   If you had multiple issues, list them individually, use mine below for an example.

Please keep this informative and Opinion free though, so that prospective buyers can see what problems have occurred with various years and models, and if there is something that they should be looking out for when looking at a used model.  

This is not to be a What I like/dislike about the Flex, but just about what problems have happened to owners since its release.  Posts that are not in line with what the topic is about will be removed, so please keep them on topic, and try to follow the format laid out so its consistent.  Once enough posts are in, we can summarize some reoccurring issues here in this post. 

Thank You

For me 

Model year            2010

When purchased  April 2010

New/Used             New

Model                  SEL EB

Problem              Front Wheel Bearing

Repaired              Yes Under Warranty

Resolution to problem          Dealer replaced both front wheel bearings, right side was loud, left side they checked and found it was starting to make noise. 

Problem              Climate Control would reset

Repaired           No

Resolution to problem   It didn't bother me too much, figured it was a Gremlin. I found out later there is a fix for this, it being a common problem. 

#2 OFFLINE   peeteboy

peeteboy

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Flex Sel

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

81000 miles and only 1 strut failure and sway bar bushing and link failure.
I would say my main concern is Ford service. Thee weeks to diagnose front end clunk and order parts and repair. This was after it being sent home with "No problems " found.
If only non ford Mechancs could do warranty work then life would truly be grand!

#3 OFFLINE   manuagent

manuagent

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Flex

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:33 AM

2013 Limited Ecoboost

Bought 2014 Used (35,000 K)

Heater takes forever to warm up

Ambient lighting system not working around cup holder. Ford put wrong console assembly in.

#4 OFFLINE   todowd

todowd

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 ford flex limited

Posted 12 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

Nightmare with the 2011 Flex (Limited) AWD with Eco-boost.

Started out loving this vehicle.  All kinds of power and handling and in general, as long as the servicing was not complex, the dealership was ok in getting things done and out the door.  Now for the nightmare of the century.   Started with the engine light going on and staying on.  Not a huge deal as the engine performance didn't seem to be impacted...but, of course I took the car in to have it checked out.  Took two separate visits to the dealership for them to finally narrow the problem down to something to do with the master cylinder and the timing mechanisms.  Not pretending to be an expert on this, so pls bear with me on terminology.  However, I was first told that its probably nothing too serious and that I could bring the car back at a later date as they would need to look at it and determine the issue.  Sneaking suspicion is there WAS something serious and taking it home and continuing to drive it was probably not a good idea.. So I took it home and ran it for about another 2-3 weeks and the engine noise was getting worse and I could really hear things now as I was driving it.  Took it back and they then kind of changed their tune and stated that the cost to me for them to just determine what was wrong with the car would cost me about $1500.00 as they suspected the master cylinder and timing equipment.  So now, fifteen days later with a rental car they just found out that the timing chain sprocket came loose and the timing chain was jumping all over the place which was causing the timing to be thrown off which inadvertently bent some of the valves and the injectors were also impacted.   Bottom line...needed a new engine.  So, rather than pursue this piece of crap nightmare on 4 wheels (you would never see this happen in a BMW, AUDI, or Mercedes, so why cant we get our act together ...its 2015 for God's sake), i cut bait and traded what I could get out of it and bought a used car so my wife would have something to get to and from work.  THis really sucked and worse was...the Flex only had 90K miles on it when this started to happen.  Note to the reader, ....get the bumper to bumper warranty no questions asked if you plan to keep the car for more than 3 years and if you have to buy a Ford product, watch for that engine light...take it in as soon as possible mo matter what.  The other thing is this...the competency level at most dealerhips with situations like this is pretty low and you will plan to have your rental car for about two weeks at least while they do explorative surgery trying to decipher the code your car is kicking back to them on their diagnostic equipment.  Also, most dealerhips will only cover a rental for up to about 5 days...and you find yourself expending energy and patience to get them to cover the rest of the rental period.   Remember, at the end of the day...you will get what you pay for....good or bad.  Not recommending Ford to anyone...unless you want to get a mustang or something like that for a little while.  Anything else....forget about it!!!

#5 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 278 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:58 PM

2011 SE FWD acquired August 2010, just turned 90K miles.

Dog broke 3rd row load floors, replaced under warranty. Broke again out of warranty, DIY repair pending.

Rocker panel weather strip came off drivers side, replaced under warranty.

Drivers side rear caliper sticking, replaced under warranty.

Stock Hankook Optimas went 50K + miles

Drivers side rear wheel bearing started singing at about 65K replaced at 70K service, not warranty.

Factory brakes went 75K + miles.

Other than that serviced every 10K miles

Edited by mmsstar, 12 June 2015 - 02:59 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   RandR10

RandR10

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Flex Ecoboost

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:58 PM

Nightmare with the 2011 Flex (Limited) AWD with Eco-boost.

Started out loving this vehicle.  All kinds of power and handling and in general, as long as the servicing was not complex, the dealership was ok in getting things done and out the door.  Now for the nightmare of the century.   Started with the engine light going on and staying on.  Not a huge deal as the engine performance didn't seem to be impacted...but, of course I took the car in to have it checked out.  Took two separate visits to the dealership for them to finally narrow the problem down to something to do with the master cylinder and the timing mechanisms.  Not pretending to be an expert on this, so pls bear with me on terminology.  However, I was first told that its probably nothing too serious and that I could bring the car back at a later date as they would need to look at it and determine the issue.  Sneaking suspicion is there WAS something serious and taking it home and continuing to drive it was probably not a good idea.. So I took it home and ran it for about another 2-3 weeks and the engine noise was getting worse and I could really hear things now as I was driving it.  Took it back and they then kind of changed their tune and stated that the cost to me for them to just determine what was wrong with the car would cost me about $1500.00 as they suspected the master cylinder and timing equipment.  So now, fifteen days later with a rental car they just found out that the timing chain sprocket came loose and the timing chain was jumping all over the place which was causing the timing to be thrown off which inadvertently bent some of the valves and the injectors were also impacted.   Bottom line...needed a new engine.  So, rather than pursue this piece of crap nightmare on 4 wheels (you would never see this happen in a BMW, AUDI, or Mercedes, so why cant we get our act together ...its 2015 for God's sake), i cut bait and traded what I could get out of it and bought a used car so my wife would have something to get to and from work.  THis really sucked and worse was...the Flex only had 90K miles on it when this started to happen.  Note to the reader, ....get the bumper to bumper warranty no questions asked if you plan to keep the car for more than 3 years and if you have to buy a Ford product, watch for that engine light...take it in as soon as possible mo matter what.  The other thing is this...the competency level at most dealerhips with situations like this is pretty low and you will plan to have your rental car for about two weeks at least while they do explorative surgery trying to decipher the code your car is kicking back to them on their diagnostic equipment.  Also, most dealerhips will only cover a rental for up to about 5 days...and you find yourself expending energy and patience to get them to cover the rest of the rental period.   Remember, at the end of the day...you will get what you pay for....good or bad.  Not recommending Ford to anyone...unless you want to get a mustang or something like that for a little while.  Anything else....forget about it!!!

Any info on how maintenance was performed on this vehicle, like oil change intervals, who did the work, etc.?  FYI, the master cylinder is part of the braking system and doesn't have anything to do with the engine, so it may have been a separate issue if they mentioned that.  Also, when I went in for what I thought to be a warranty issue on my wife's escape (leaking axle seal), they quoted me a diagnostic fee that I would have to eat if it happened to be something other than a warranty defect, but it turned out that it was covered and therefore I didn't have to pay the fee after all.  Did you purchase the extended warranty on the car when the engine failure happened?  If so, the diagnostic fee would have most likely been covered.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·