Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

AWD without WINTER TIRES...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NOBLEwolf

NOBLEwolf

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:31 AM

is there anyone out there that has some drive-time with your FLEX in the snow...specifically in AWD without WINTER TIRES...

#2 OFFLINE   trefko

trefko

Trefko

• Ford Flex Members
  • 40 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex AWD

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:50 PM

I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada and replaced the factory tires with Nokian WR when I bought the flex in June. I have 14,000 km on it and it is great, even in the snow. I have been installing Nokian WR on my vehicles for a few years. They are a an all weather tire with soft compound so they are good on snow and ice. I would never even think of keeping the factory tires for our weather. The Nokian WR are directional so they channel the snow out much better. Where do you live?

Glen

#3 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:11 AM

I've driven the Flex a good amount in the snow with stock tires. It does great, but it really depends on where you live. In Edmonton or the mountains of Colorado or the lake-effect of upstate New York you might want some winter tires, but anywhere else you should be happy, at least for the first season or two.

Do keep in mind though that AWD does not help you turn or stop any faster, it just lets you get to a higher speed before you crash.

#4 OFFLINE   4RDGUY

4RDGUY

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 09:09 PM

I've driven the Flex a good amount in the snow with stock tires. It does great, but it really depends on where you live. In Edmonton or the mountains of Colorado or the lake-effect of upstate New York you might want some winter tires, but anywhere else you should be happy, at least for the first season or two.

Do keep in mind though that AWD does not help you turn or stop any faster, it just lets you get to a higher speed before you crash.

DRIVING A LIMITED WITH 19'S THIS PAST WINTER - Is alot different than an Expedition with agressive A/T tires... I recommend Snow tires, as the low profile 19's will get you 0-60 fast when using the AWD system - but not stop or steer in icy conditions very well...

#5 OFFLINE   01tj

01tj

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:17 AM

I had the opportunity to drive on some pretty bad roads the other day and was pretty happy with the Flex. We have the factory goodyears and they are worn down to the wear strips. There are no longer lugs on the sides of the tires they are pretty much just continuous bands that run around the tires. Our area is pretty hilly and the roads were snow covered with a layer of ice below the snow. The ABS kicked in on a long curvy down hill and the Flex went where I told it to go. The Flex also helped me up the hill into our development. Again I could feel/hear the ABS limiting slip and I could feel the Flex doing its park to help me around the turns and up the hill. I am planning on putting some ipikes on it tomorrow and I am guessing it will go like a tank after I do

#6 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 278 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 08 December 2010 - 04:51 AM

Ha, some people think that driving an AWD or a 4 X 4 puts a big red "S" on their chest!

#7 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 15 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

Ha, some people think that driving an AWD or a 4 X 4 puts a big red "S" on their chest!

Nope, just the imprint of an airbag on their forehead when they get goofy stupid fast. The new RS-A design actually has good snow and ice traction, something I was very afraid would not be, since my Fusion has the same tire on it, in a smaller size. Goodyear FINALLY, redesigned the tire, so it now has decent year round traction. They must have been listening to all the complaints and did something about it.

#8 OFFLINE   blivitz

blivitz

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 12 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Flex AWD Limited EB

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

I have a AWD Expedition with good all season tires and a BMW 540 (2wd) that I run with 4 Blizzak tires in the winter.
Up to about 4 inches of snow, the BMW will handle much better than the Expedition.
It won't start as fast, but it will stop and turn much better.
The Goodyear Blizzak's are amazing.

#9 OFFLINE   bgougler

bgougler

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 21 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex EcoBoost Limited

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

I have a AWD Expedition with good all season tires and a BMW 540 (2wd) that I run with 4 Blizzak tires in the winter.
Up to about 4 inches of snow, the BMW will handle much better than the Expedition.
It won't start as fast, but it will stop and turn much better.
The Goodyear Blizzak's are amazing.

Here I am in Colorado and my 2010 EB Limited has the 20's and Goodyear all seasons ....another recent snow storm and with 6 inches of fresh snow the tires/vehicle were fine. I have used Blizzaks on my other cars - and my FWD Saab Viggen is at least usable in the snow with Blizzaks. The Flex does not feel quite as capable in the snow as my all season equiped Bauer Expedition ....but I am confident it will be adequate in all snow conditions with these tires.

When these tires wear out I will get 20" Blizzaks for winter and 22 inch summer rims /tires.

#10 OFFLINE   DmitriyDang

DmitriyDang

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 9 posts
  • Location:Moscow, Russian Federation it is cold in here...-4F
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKT Ecoboost Elite

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

I have my MKT with stock 20' tyres here in Russia, with lots of snowing for the last couple of weeks with average temperature at 14 degrees F. And it does really great, it does normally stop and drive and turn all the time except with fresh&dry snow...on THAT the braking distance almost doubles...

My collegue has 2009 Flex Limited and he has same feelings about his stock 19' tires...

Edited by DmitriyDang, 21 January 2012 - 10:57 AM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·