Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Rear bumper replacement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dkpnkc

dkpnkc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

We have a 2010 SEL that was rear ended by a uninsured driver a few weeks ago. Had it looked at and per a couple body shops I'm looking at about $1.1k (we have a $1k deductable). I have found I can get a new OEM bumper painted cover for $500 shipped.

Has anyone removed the rear bumper cover? Wondering how difficult to swap out and if the black bumper guard can be swapped or will I need new? Personally think I could swap out without too much difficulty but wanted to check.

TIA.

#2 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

The bumper cover comes off very easily. Remove the two bolts at each tail light, pull them straight out and unplug them. Then there are about 7 phllips head type plastic screws that you unscrew and then pull out the retainers, there are two under the license plate, so you need to remove that first.  Then on each side at the back of the wheel well are 3 more bolts. You need a 5.5 MM socket to remove them.  Once all the retainers and screws are out, pull out at each corner behind the wheel and there are tabs on each corner. Take a flat bladed screw driver to sneak under and gently pry up the clip while pulling on the bumper, but be careful not to break it, its just plastic. 

The cover is one piece and has the reverse sensor, plate light, and if towing, the trailer harness. It unplugs at the passenger side.  Behind the bumper is the crash protection, which is just a piece of steel with 4 bolts. If it got hit hard enough it should be replaced too. I happen to have 2 of them laying on my garage floor, they were replaced with OEM hitches.  Should take about an hour to replace all this. 

#3 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

Here are a few pics to help you out. First one show the clip I referred to. 

947243_535900489785423_928335636_n.jpg

942962_535900306452108_1735676211_n.jpg

922836_535900179785454_2092338406_n.jpg

935694_535900113118794_388308044_n.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   dkpnkc

dkpnkc

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for the replies - really appreciate it.  Between this another forum I think I have enough info to change it out myself.   The impact was very light but hit at the corner of the license place area that pushed it just enough to make it unrepairable, so I'm hopful optimistic that all is well under the cover.  Another two inches to the right & a repaint would have been all it needed.  Found out the replacement isn't new OEM but remanufactored OEM, but I think it will be OK based on the vendor reviews I've seen.   Thanks again.

#5 OFFLINE   former-gmman73

former-gmman73

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:32 AM

I have a 2010 Limited and my bumper cover was touched on the side near the right rear tire well. Just enough that you notice the difference in the body line. If I replace the clips that you mentioned will this help to get my cover tight with body line again ??

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·