Starting a new install and will have everything except the sway control installed, so it will be an ALMOST factory tow install. I started today, and have to get the parts ordered to get it all installed.
Today I got the power from the battery through to the interior, so the hard part is done. The next step once I pickup the trailer brake controller, trailer light isolation kit, hitch, and contemplating whether to purchase the 2013 bumper wiring harness, or take the one I bought for the 2010 that had the wrong sensor plugs and take the trailer wiring from that and just splice it in.
Since the electrical components for the tow package are not installed, there is a 100% chance the wires coming from the plug under the dash for the brake controller are going nowhere, I will be hard wiring the controller to the 7 pin socket in the rear. This will require running a 12V power feed for the trailer break away battery charging/aux power circuit, a brake feed, and a ground. I will also need the power feed for the light isolation module.
Today the wiring is in for the first part, a 10 Gauge wire, with a fuse at the battery, and two more fuse holders inside under the dash.
So for starters, I pulled the wipers off, then the cowling pieces. To remove these, first pop the caps off the wipers, and use a 15 MM socket to remove the nuts. Take a dead blow plastic mallet and smack the stud while lifting lightly on the wiper arm. Should pop off in a smack or two. Then remove the 6 plastic hold down snaps with a removal tool, and dont drop them, or you might not find them. The cover is secured with foam tape so it may stick. Lift up on the forward edge and loosen it. Then on either side the end caps are secured with 3 hook. Starting from the windshield, pull up and wiggle until they detach, then pull them to the side. Reach under the cowl cover and push on each clip holding it down by the windshield and they will pop out. The cover has the washer fluid hose attached, you can leave in on, and just mve the cover to the side.
Next step, there is a metal clip on the side. you can see it in the picture. Remove that and the second cowl piece pops right off. Now that these covers are off, look down into the cowl and you will see a large round rubber cover, this is where the main wiring harness enters the car. I took a utility knife and poked an X through it, and fed a mechanics wire down and at an angle until I could see it behind the brake pedal. Then wrapped it around the 10 Gauge wire and pulled it through. Once I had enough wire to play with, then I took some black shrink tubing, and shrunk it on the exposed wire to hide the red color, strapped it to the main harness, and put a piece of wire wrap on the wire, with more heat shrink, fed it through a hole I drilled through the lower cowl, and reassembled everything. Using more heat shrink and the fuse holder that comes with the brake controller installation kit, finished the install, tying it down to the battery cables.
Under the dash I took two more fuse holders, crimped then to a 10 Gauge connector and crimped that to the 10 Gauge wire I ran, and used more heat shrink to clean it up, and with a few cable ties attached them to the parking brake cable and wiring harness for a clean install.
Once I get the isolation module, I will get that installed and get more pics.
This next part is more complicated, but easier to do since its straight forward. It requires removing all the trim and rear interior quarters on both sides, along with the rear bumper.
Someone had mentioned the EB Tow package has a larger radiator, so I checked with the parts department, and sure enough, it does list two radiators for the Ecoboost Flex, with and without tow. So if you plan to do some ClassIII towing, its an additional $650 plus labor to have it installed. Or use a Scangauge II and monitor your temps while towing to be safe.
Here are the part numbers for the factory parts.
Bumper harness, 8Z-15K868-H
7 Pin socket, 3Z-14489-BA
Trailer light isolation Module, 4Z-15A416-A
The above is about $460 with shipping.
I ordered the parts last night, so I should be able to get the rest installed this weekend, weather looks promising too.
Edited by ACDII, 23 April 2013 - 07:58 AM.