Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Liftgate opens too far

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   petehouk

petehouk

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2006 Focus; 2012 Flex SE

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hey everybody.  I have a problem where the liftgate on my flex opens a little higher than I would like.  As a result, when open, it rubs against the gasket on the bottom of my garage door.  (It's a soft rubber gasket, but it also has lots of dirt and crud in it--not good for paint.)  Right now my wife handles this by putting a towel on the liftgate before she opens it all the way--not too elegant. 

I was thinking that I could buy a similar liftgate strut that has a slightly shorter extended length.  

Has anyone tried that?  Any suggestions on how to determine which strut to use?  They are usually compressed in the package, so I can't just go to the parts store and compare mine to some of the others they have there.  

Thanks

Pete

#2 OFFLINE   robertlane

robertlane

Flex Fan

• Pip
  • 199 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Shelby Mustang

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Haven't heard of this problem before.  Go with Ford O.E.M. and you'll always get the right stuff.

#3 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

If it has the automatic opener, shortening the struts might cause it to not work correctly. It has an auto reverse feature that when it detect resistance it will reverse and close(or open). If it doesn't reach the full end of travel, it could close on you. I dont know for sure where the cutoff point is though, so you would need to experiment, and then once you find where it stops doing that, you can measure the length of strut needed and see if you can find a pair to match. 

An alternative is maybe raise the garage door up a bit higher. Most garage door openers have a setting that can raise or lower the end point of the door, my Genies can do this, and was something I needed to do so the rollover bar of my Kubota would clear, it needed 7'11" of clearance, the door opening is 8'1" and I was able to get the door up to just about even with the opening. 

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·