Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Adding a Belly Pan (under engine shield)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   petehouk

petehouk

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2006 Focus; 2012 Flex SE

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

Hi everybody. Can I add an under engine shield to my 2012 SE? I gather that units with the Ecoboost motor come with the shield. I would like one as well. The car that I sold when I bought the flex had one and the engine was SO CLEAN, even though it was 10 year old. I would like to add a shield to my Flex and hopefully keep everything clean in my new engine compartment.

#2 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:49 AM

Get the shield from an MKS or Taurus SHO. It doesn't have the expensive ducting that the Flex EB shield has but will bolt right up. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with AWD, as it will reduce the cooling of the PTU, but on your SE it should be ok. I don't really think it's going to help keep the engine clean though. Most of the airflow through the engine compartment comes in through the radiator and out through the bottom. Putting the shield on may actually prevent that dirty air from exiting and instead will cause it to swirl up around the back of the engine, actually making it dirtier than if you didn't have the shield. Plus you're Flex has a lip spoiler on the bottom of the front fascia which is designed to direct all the air around the bottom of the engine anyway.

Bottom line - you can try it, but I don't think it's going to work.

Edited by Waldo, 13 September 2012 - 04:50 AM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·