Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Roof Rack on a Limited w/Vista Roof

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dmarkjohn

dmarkjohn

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

Could you post a few more details about your roof rails? How much did they cost you? Did you have dealer do the install or did you install them yourself? Thanks

I negotiated the roof rails and installation as part of the deal. I think they told me it would have been about $600. Attached is a factory diagram that shows how the rack attaches and has part numbers. Note the diagram shows a Flex with a sunroof. Strange they would show that since they won't install one from the facotry with the sunroof.

Attached File  Flex_Roof_Rack_Diagram_.jpg   52.16KB   549 downloads

#22 OFFLINE   craigau

craigau

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

I negotiated the roof rails and installation as part of the deal. I think they told me it would have been about $600. Attached is a factory diagram that shows how the rack attaches and has part numbers. Note the diagram shows a Flex with a sunroof. Strange they would show that since they won't install one from the facotry with the sunroof.

Attached File  Flex_Roof_Rack_Diagram_.jpg   52.16KB   549 downloads

Do you know if they had to remove the interior headliner to install them?

#23 OFFLINE   moparharn

moparharn

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:19 AM

No you do not. The install takes literally 15 minutes. My AWD vista in Titanium White had solid flat black trim over the channels. I bought the black roof rails, caps, and bolts for $425. Remove the covers ( avoid dropping the headliner by pulling the trim off of the front stud with a firm quick jerk) and the plastic retainers used in the areas where the rack feet attach. Expose the holes not used with the plastic retainers (fours holes covered with weather strip sealant so you get two hole mounts for each foot). Push the new trim cover supplied as one unit with the roof rail OVER THE FRONT STUD WITH A QUCK FIRM PUSH. Mount the roof rails with the purchased self tapping bolts and pop on the covers. Fifteen minutes, Bam! Done. The trim pieces are shaped like a C but taller and with a full radius on each end to grab the head of a stud. Use silicone sealant on each bolt hole to prevet leakage. Good luck.

Do you know if they had to remove the interior headliner to install them?

Edited by moparharn, 20 July 2009 - 05:21 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   gregb1906

gregb1906

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

No you do not. The install takes literally 15 minutes. My AWD vista in Titanium White had solid flat black trim over the channels. I bought the black roof rails, caps, and bolts for $425. Remove the covers ( avoid dropping the headliner by pulling the trim off of the front stud with a firm quick jerk) and the plastic retainers used in the areas where the rack feet attach. Expose the holes not used with the plastic retainers (fours holes covered with weather strip sealant so you get two hole mounts for each foot). Push the new trim cover supplied as one unit with the roof rail OVER THE FRONT STUD WITH A QUCK FIRM PUSH. Mount the roof rails with the purchased self tapping bolts and pop on the covers. Fifteen minutes, Bam! Done. The trim pieces are shaped like a C but taller and with a full radius on each end to grab the head of a stud. Use silicone sealant on each bolt hole to prevet leakage. Good luck.

#25 OFFLINE   gregb1906

gregb1906

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:09 AM

Great informative post and I appreciate the diagram. My dealer told me I would have to drop the headliner and the cost would have been $1000! And the parts department had no clue about the rails so when I show them a copy of your diagram maybe I can get what I want. One more question: "when pulling the trim off the front stud" what is the front stud? I have not removed the white (white roof) trim rail cover yet. When I do, will it be obvious what the stud is?

#26 OFFLINE   Thomas Lewis

Thomas Lewis

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:42 PM

Thule has just come up with a "Fit Kit" that is specific for the Ford Flex. If you check their site on-line and do a search for the Flex you will be unsucessfull...it is that new...however if you order through your local dealer you can get it in 2-4 days (at least that is how long it took us to get it in Fairbanks AK). The part is called Kit 2204 (112204) it is used with the Aero Foot "towers" (400XT, 4002XT) and LB58 Square Load Bars (The dealers lit recommended the LB50 bars but they are TOO SHORT...go with the 58's). From here you can go with any Thule system you want or Yakima for that matter; we went with the Thule MOAB 690XT (Mother of All Bskets w/optional 20" extension 691XT). It was a painless assembly and installation...it is "hell-for-stout"...rock solid...NO SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN ROAD NOISE...plus in our estimation it improves the looks of the Flex. One advantage of the MOAB is that it can serve as a base for future add ons i.e canoe/kayak/ski/snowboards/bikes etc. It is removable so you can still enjoy the advantages of you Vista Roof. One note of caution: we were told that the Vista Roof is "tempered" glass NOT safety glass and were advised by the folks at Ford they wouldn't install the factory side rails...to avoid the "we told you so" we covered the Vista roof with two foam sleeping bag pads during the installation just in case we dropped a bar or wrench or something...no problems or damage. Rgrds Tom/Anne AK.

#27 OFFLINE   Redwingfan01

Redwingfan01

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:47 AM

I just called my Ford Dealer and they said they would not install the factory roof rack on the Flex w/Vista Roof.

Has anyone installed custom Yakima or Thule towers on their Flex with Vista roof?

The other option is to use a cargo bag on the roof. I usually chose to place a rubber mat directly on the roof for protection AND so the cargo doesn't slip around. The only option is to use gutter clips that clip either in the rain gutter OR in the door frame area.

Has anyone tried using a cargo bag with gutter clips on their Flex?

I really like my Flex but need cargo options. I do have the factory trailer hitch option but we often use a hitch-mount bike rack and take our bikes on family vacations. With a family of 6 with need more cargo options. I might just decide to buy a folding or Thule trailer and put the bikes and cargo in their.

FYI... Allen Racks makes a very nice 5 bike folding rack that fits a 2" receiver and only hits you for $199 at sports authority. best part is you can take it with you when you move on to your next ride.

#28 OFFLINE   moparharn

moparharn

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

It really is quite easy to install a great Thule rack system on ANY Ford Flex, with or without the vista roof. Here is a picture on mine.[

quote name='Redwingfan01' date='06 October 2009 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1254854862' post='4670']
FYI... Allen Racks makes a very nice 5 bike folding rack that fits a 2" receiver and only hits you for $199 at sports authority. best part is you can take it with you when you move on to your next ride.
[/quote]

Attached Files

#29 OFFLINE   Phippen

Phippen

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

Has anyone seen or tried the Removable Roof Rack, For use without production rails Part Number: A9FCS-2204-AA from fordaccessoriesstore.com? (http://www.fordacces...0~A9FCS_2204_AA) . I'd like to order my car without roof rails (because of the look) but want to be able to use a rack in a pinch.

- Phippen

#30 OFFLINE   klgraf

klgraf

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

I am told by a friend who is a service manager that it is because Ford is worried about warranty claims for the vista roof due to accidental damage from carrying cargo on the roof rack. There is no structural or safety reason. It is mearly a concern for liability and profitability. I am going to order the parts and do it myself.

Were you able to order the parts? I bought a 2010 limited flex w/ vista roof 9/30/2009 and my dealer has said the roof racks/rails cannot be purchased as parts from ford.

Other than the lack of options for a rack, I LOVE my flex - steel blue, limited, 2nd row 40/40 seat w/ console. 4600 miles!

#31 OFFLINE   moparharn

moparharn

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

I had my buddy who owns a body shop get the parts for me with his discount. The dealer will sell you the parts directly as well. You can also look on line or check the junkyards in your area. The install is very easy. The front stud you can leave in place rather than drop the headliner by just pulling off the old trim and pushing on the new rack trim over the head of the stud. The pan head on the stud fits into the c shaped channel of the trim piece. The stud head holds the trim down in place. I think the stud may have some kind of rubberized coating on the head as well. I carry kayaks all over the place with my rack and leave it on the car 24-7. I have had no issues yet in the last six months. I could not own a flex without a roof rack. The parts are expensive for what you get, but I had to have it.

Were you able to order the parts? I bought a 2010 limited flex w/ vista roof 9/30/2009 and my dealer has said the roof racks/rails cannot be purchased as parts from ford.

Other than the lack of options for a rack, I LOVE my flex - steel blue, limited, 2nd row 40/40 seat w/ console. 4600 miles!

#32 OFFLINE   klgraf

klgraf

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

[quote name='moparharn' date='06 October 2009 - 12:31 PM' timestamp='1254861101' post='4672']
It really is quite easy to install a great Thule rack system on ANY Ford Flex, with or without the vista roof. Here is a picture on mine.[

quote name='Redwingfan01' date='06 October 2009 - 02:47 PM' timestamp='1254854862' post='4670']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Your Thule rack looks great. Can you please post the Thule part numbers? Thanks, a flex lover in CA.

#33 OFFLINE   jim.sacherman

jim.sacherman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

I'm a new flex owner (Grey SEL) and settled on one without roof rails to get a good end of the year deal. I didn't get the vista roof to avoid the problems that I read about on this site. Where did you get all the parts for $425? I found an online site that sells at 20% off. Also can anyone give me an actual list of what I need to purchase? Does anyone know if Ford will ever make a kit?

Thanks.

#34 OFFLINE   vidiot

vidiot

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

This is all great info. I am wondering if we can get an update from anyone has added the rails with the vista roof. How's it going? Any problems? What have you carried? Have you used crossbars like Thule or similar and carried a bike rack or rocket box?

I have a flex with vista roof and am on the verge of getting the rails to install.

#35 OFFLINE   ACDII

ACDII

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 328 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:35 AM

So does the Thule system bolt in place same as the Factory rails? I would hate to use one that looks like aftermarket.

#36 OFFLINE   Gumby

Gumby

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

I don't think Thule racks can be bolted on, afaik.

#37 OFFLINE   Poolman

Poolman

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:20 AM

Could you post a few more details about your roof rails? How much did they cost you? Did you have dealer do the install or did you install them yourself? Thanks

I was going to say: Yes, i'd very much like to find out where you got your rails. looks great. thank you.

but noticed I'm not at the end for the thread yet. i'll read through first.

Edited by Poolman, 19 April 2010 - 10:23 AM.

#38 OFFLINE   clay_tx

clay_tx

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Toyota Tacoma

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

Thule has just come up with a "Fit Kit" that is specific for the Ford Flex. If you check their site on-line and do a search for the Flex you will be unsucessfull...it is that new...however if you order through your local dealer you can get it in 2-4 days (at least that is how long it took us to get it in Fairbanks AK). The part is called Kit 2204 (112204) it is used with the Aero Foot "towers" (400XT, 4002XT) and LB58 Square Load Bars (The dealers lit recommended the LB50 bars but they are TOO SHORT...go with the 58's). From here you can go with any Thule system you want or Yakima for that matter; we went with the Thule MOAB 690XT (Mother of All Bskets w/optional 20" extension 691XT). It was a painless assembly and installation...it is "hell-for-stout"...rock solid...NO SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN ROAD NOISE...plus in our estimation it improves the looks of the Flex. One advantage of the MOAB is that it can serve as a base for future add ons i.e canoe/kayak/ski/snowboards/bikes etc. It is removable so you can still enjoy the advantages of you Vista Roof. One note of caution: we were told that the Vista Roof is "tempered" glass NOT safety glass and were advised by the folks at Ford they wouldn't install the factory side rails...to avoid the "we told you so" we covered the Vista roof with two foam sleeping bag pads during the installation just in case we dropped a bar or wrench or something...no problems or damage. Rgrds Tom/Anne AK.

Would love to see pictures of your Flex with this setup. thanks for the post.

#39 OFFLINE   Kayakinggoddess

Kayakinggoddess

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 White Ford Flex Ltd.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

I just purchased a 2009 Ltd. (white suede) with Vista roof . After reading these posts, I checked with the dealer on purchasing rails, and they said "don't"......The manager, who seemed very knoweldgeable, indicated that the normal sway of racks mounted to after market rails could have a detrimental affect on the Vista system, and that my warranty (as it applied to the Vista aspect) would become void. The 400 foot system recommended by Thule seems to be the best bet, and as soon as all this darn snow in NH melts, I'll adapt my old kayak system to those clip ons. I'd love to hear from anyone who has used them.

#40 OFFLINE   moparharn

moparharn

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 05:27 AM

ANYONE NEEDING ROOF RAILS FOR THEIR FLEX CAN PM ME. $250 FOR SET USED. I USED MY THULE RACK SYSTEM FOR TWO YEARS WITH THEM BEFORE I TURNED MY CAR IN OFF LEASE.

I just purchased a 2009 Ltd. (white suede) with Vista roof . After reading these posts, I checked with the dealer on purchasing rails, and they said "don't"......The manager, who seemed very knoweldgeable, indicated that the normal sway of racks mounted to after market rails could have a detrimental affect on the Vista system, and that my warranty (as it applied to the Vista aspect) would become void. The 400 foot system recommended by Thule seems to be the best bet, and as soon as all this darn snow in NH melts, I'll adapt my old kayak system to those clip ons. I'd love to hear from anyone who has used them.

Edited by moparharn, 23 June 2011 - 05:29 AM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·