Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Feel Faster?  We're Now on a Dedicated Server!

Photo
- - - - -

Clicking Sound After Start Up When AC is On

Clicking Dash AC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   garyst16

garyst16

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Flex

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

One day without any prior warning, I noticed a clicking sound coming from behind the dashboard after starting the vehicle. The clicking only lasted about 5 seconds or so. After considerable investigation that included calling the dealer (no help), I discovered the noise was coming from the HVAC recirculating door actuator. This is the motor that opens and closes the door that allows either outside fresh air to come into the vehicle or closes the door for only recirulating air.

To confirm this is YOUR problem, when you start the vehicle and the clicking begins, immediately push the recirculating air button. If the noise stops, that is the problem. The fix is relatively simple.

1. Open the glove box.
2. When it hits the stops, gently squeeze the sides to allow the stops to move past the dashboard.
3. The glove box should open all the way up with the glove box door pointing straight down to the floor
4. Look through the opening and on the firewall, you will see the actuator. It is attached to the firewall with 2 screws and has 1 connector. The unit is black with a white top and is approximately 3.5" wide x 3.5 long x 1" thick.
5. Take out the 2 screws, disconnect the connector and head off to your Ford dealer. (I paid $18.02 with tax)
6. Installation is the reverse of the removal.

Simple and easy and a savings of $200+ over what the dealer wanted to replace the unit!

#2 OFFLINE   LrEkFlex

LrEkFlex

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Flex Limited

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

I have 2010 model year Flex too and  got the same problem just a week ago two days before the warranty ends when we were driving to Washington DC. Thanks for sharing your experience here. Now looks like it can be fixed without charging me otherwise I will try to fix it myself following the steps provided by you.

#3 OFFLINE   chiledad

chiledad

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Flex

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the detailed info- just performed this fix in about 30 min at a cost of just over $20.  I wanted to add a note for others who have this issue:  when moving the glove box down and away, the plunger which controls the opening motion became separated.  I struggled with it but realized it too was easy.  There is a rubber gasket on the portion which is attached to the movable part and a rubber band style gasket on the part which is attached inside underneath the dashboard.  The plunger is also not perfectly round.  To reinsert it, roll the band type gasket on the receiving end back so that it is not visible within the plunger itself.  Then reinsert the plunger from the movable part of the dash, roll the rubber band gasket back into place. and the seal is recreated.  This will prevent the glove box from simply falling open.  I performed this task before even putting the actuator in.  I left the plunger mechanism intact, pulled far enough out that I only lifted the door a few inches and was able to reinsert the plunger to the side of the glove box on the way to closing it.  This whole mechanism is on the interior side of the glove box closest to the transmission tunnel.  You will see a circular hole in the left side of the interior of the glove box that the plunger attaches to and locks into place.  Hope this helps anyone else who detaches it the wrong way first.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·