Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Flex Forum. Like most online communities, you must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Ford Flex Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos. . .more!
Click here to create an account

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Traction control problem?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brockdog12

brockdog12

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 18 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2009 Ford Flex SEL

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I have an 2009 SEL I purchased in January of this year, just turned 42,000 miles...at lunch today, when leaving a parking lot turning left, the traction control light flashed and it sounded like the front tires were rubbing the wheel wells, the acceleration became sluggish and then it cleared up. Well the tires weren't rubbing and the ground was dry so no tire slip. Anyone have this happen to them before? I called my local Ford dealer I have used for 30 years and what a shock, they have never heard of this problem. I have read of this on the web with other Flex owners. I hate to have this happen at 70 on the freeway and kill me or someone else. I appreciate your input.

#2 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 239 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 SE

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

It is a known bug in the traction control system. I don't recall if there is a TSB on it but the dealer should at least be able to call the Ford hotline to learn about it.

#3 OFFLINE   Stephanie Austin Amis

Stephanie Austin Amis

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Facebook
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

I need help with this same issue and I'm getting the run around. If its a known issue how do I get it fixed?

#4 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 223 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:35 PM

I need help with this same issue and I'm getting the run around. If its a known issue how do I get it fixed?

Is your car still under Warranty?  Do any dash lights come on?

I did a search for this issue and was not able to find any Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) or Special Service Bulletins (SSB) about Traction Control.

However, there is a TSB about the front brakes grinding, see this: http://fordflexforum...x-tsbs/?p=14256

Also, see what has been said about this earlier, in particular, this Post.  It's good advice even if you are not under Warranty, it will make the Dealer aware of this issue.

We have Tricia, a Ford Customer Service Rep, on the Forum that may be able to help, send her a Private Message.

http://fordflexforum...n-post/?p=13696

Edited by GrySql, 21 April 2015 - 04:51 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:53 AM

Stephanie, if you read the other topic you posted in about this you will have read;

The problem is a "bug" in the brake control module software that effects the initial identification of the center position of the steering wheel when first started. After you drive 100 ft. in a straight line it won't happen. (while it isn't written in the post the "bug" causes the ABS system to think one wheel is spinning faster than the other which causes it to apply the brake to that wheel)

Before you, or anyone else, rush to judgment remember this;

The problem only effects early models and not all of them.

It is strictly intermittent so the odds are almost 100% against it happening during the dealer test drive.

It doesn't generate a code and since that is how the techs are trained to diagnose, they won't find anything.

Given the low number of Flex sales it isn't unreasonable that the dealer won't have heard of it 

The Brake TSB has nothing to do with it, the fix is to re-flash or replace the module.

Edited by mmsstar, 22 April 2015 - 07:54 AM.

• GrySql likes this

#6 OFFLINE   rclark

rclark

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Flex

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

I have a 2013 Flex SEL. Last year I was driving to Taos, NM when I encountered traction control problems that prevented me driving up a mountain in the snow. The mountain was not that steep and the snow was not that bad. Many other cars and trucks passed me and went up the mountain with no problems. This created a dangerous situation not to mention the fact that the entire reason I bought the Flex was to go on road trips to ski. Any solutions?

#7 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:22 PM

What problem were you having? Do you have AWD? What kind of tires and how many miles on them?

#8 OFFLINE   rclark

rclark

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 2 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Flex

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:54 PM

We do not have AWD. At the time, we had new BF Goodrich tires. I don't recall the specifics on the tires. The traction control kicked in and cut all power, resulting in the tire not turning. I turned the traction control off, but it did the same thing.

#9 OFFLINE   oilcan

oilcan

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 1 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • Current Vehicle:2008

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:51 AM

This control  problem is not only a flex problem i have a 2008 taurus sel  and have been fighting this problem for years .

To say is sounds like you ran over a steel garbage is a perfect description.

to add a little more info to the topic this is my findings.

it has happen to me 6 times

1 the same replay form ford canada can not reproduce 

2 it can happen with both left or right front wheel

3 for me it has always happened in the first 200 feet after new start up

4 no error code are sent

5 only lasts a few seconds and  for a few feet and the usually disappears 

6 on one sever occurrence it put the car into a limp mode transmission would not shift into next gear and engine would not rev up 

leaving you and a huge risk on the road and only way to clear problem was to turn off engine and start (then all was good and again no codes sent

7 traction control light on dash just blips on

#10 OFFLINE   mmsstar

mmsstar

New Flex Member

• Ford Flex Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 10:53 AM

The fix is replacing the ABS module. A reflash would fix I but the dealers don't have that capability. It is caused by a bug in the software that causes the system to "loose" the center position in the turn so when the wheels are straightened the system sees it as one of the wheels seeming to be spinning faster than the other so the ABS kicks in. If you drive straight for the first 100-200 yards it won't happen.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·